New Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter ($39) - an official answer for USB DAC and iPad??
Aug 12, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #76 of 105
It has worked for me with the cyberdrive clarity dac. Power side lightning does not support data, only power.

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #77 of 105
Would it be possible to plug a USB drive into this adapter, and store Tidal offline files on the USB drive?

Even better would be a USB hub with storage on one port and a DAC in the other port.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #78 of 105
External storage isn't a thing for iPhones :)

I can confirm that this adapter works great with an AudioQuest DragonFly Red (as advertised). I'm also using my Mac which has VMware Fusion installed, and was challenged with what to do with the device on plug-in (it comes up as an Apple Charging Device). Looks like it's charge-only through the female Lighting Connector Port.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #79 of 105
  External storage isn't a thing for iPhones :)

I can confirm that this adapter works great with an AudioQuest DragonFly Red (as advertised). I'm also using my Mac which has VMware Fusion installed, and was challenged with what to do with the device on plug-in (it comes up as an Apple Charging Device). Looks like it's charge-only through the female Lighting Connector Port.

I agree. However, I have found this little nifty device that can serve the purpose...but it might not be completely seemless as a storage though. I have´nt actually tried it...but could be worth checking out (and ask the seller) if there is a need for it. 

http://www.banggood.com/POFAN-3-in-1-64G-32G-16G-Mobile-Lightning-USB-3_0-Flash-Drive-for-iPhone-iPad-PCAndroid-Phones-p-1069166.html

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #80 of 105
FYI- I noticed this on the Audioquest website regarding new vs. old CCK:

When connected to an iOS device using the recommended Camera Connection Kit, my DragonFly Red or Black exhibits clicks and pops in the background of the music. What should I do?

In some rare instances, the combination of an iOS device in conjunction with the standard CCK and DragonFly Black or Red causes a clicking in the background of the music. Neither we nor Apple have been able to determine why that is, but in circumstances where this occurs we’ve found that using Apple’s Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Connection Kit resolves the problem. In addition, this connector offers improved audio performance over the smaller unit and gives the end user the ability to charge their iOS device while listening to music.

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #81 of 105
I've noticed that every once in a while, I get what feels like process stuttering where the music I'm listening to starts to break up. Started happening with iOS 10. Unplugging and replugging the dongle fixes it for me. Even 10.0.2 hasn't fixed it.

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #82 of 105
it works great here,

Ipad Mini ---> lighting USB 3 adapter ---> Chord Mojo ---> Philips Fidelio X2. 
Ipad Mini ---> lighting USB 3 adapter ---> Chord Mojo ---> 3.5 inch to RCA ---> very old Sony amplifier, (Not really good sound, but it works.)

sources Tidal and Spotify and CD player, Marantz CD-7300
Quite happy with

Now look for a nice dock for iPad 

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #83 of 105
iPhone --> lightning USB 3 adapter -->  1/ battery (via lightning) 2/ AMB y1.5 DAC (via USB) : Doesn't work

iPhone --> lightning USB 3 adapter --> 1/ USB Y-cable to battery and DAC 2/ battery (lightning) : Works like a charm :) 

For those with DACs that do not work with direct solution (1), try solution 2. I would be suspicious of adequate power to the DAC/Amp in solution 1 anyway

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #84 of 105
  No.
It depends on the device. I was able to successfully power both an Apogee Groove and a CEntrance DACport HD.

I was unsuccessful with anything from Meridian. More specifically, even using a powered USB hub, my Meridian devices still refused to allow my iPhone to provide music source when using the new USB3/Lightning connector. It was only by using the powered USB hub and the original CCK that I was able to send music to my Meridian devices from my iPhone. It makes no sense, but it has been my experience.

I too had success powering a CEntrance DACPort HD. (iPhone 6S running iOS 10.1.1. I played 192/24 FLAC files using Onkyo HF Player, and the ap showed 192 kHz output.)

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #85 of 105
I have a question, would audio still come through the lightning port or just the USB port and use the lightning port for charging?

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #86 of 105
Has anyone had success with the USB3 Camera adaptor and a Mimby? I am getting a whistling like sound out of the left channel, whether running it through a Wyrd or direct. A Modi2U works either way.

ETA: The Mimby had something going on with it, as the symptom was present coming out of a MBP as well as Toslink out of a Samsung TV. And then it "cured" itself and all is currently working. Very strange...

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #88 of 105
Hey, so I bought the lightning to usb camera adapter to use with my iPhone 6 and a Dragonfly Red. However, I've found many times that I end up running out battery when I most want to use the device, and have to charge it before I can plug the dac back in.

So I heard this one (USB 3 camera adapter), which is most recommended by Audioquest for this application, would let me charge and use the DAC at the same time. However, the port on this is for USB type C. I'd rather not have to replace my 8 lightning cables I have everywhere (room, office, carry bag, spares, living room, car, etc). Or buy 1 or 2 cables end up having to switch the cables every time I decide to use my DAC.

Does anyone know if there is a Lightning 8 pin female to USB type C male adapter I could just leave plugged in to the USB 3 camera adapter (this way I can use the lightning cables)?

I've found 1, but it has a rather wide profile that might cause problems fitting it along side the DragonFly red. Here is a picture:

I'm looking for a form factor kind of like this one (this one however is USB type C female to Lightning 8 pin Male):

If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

If there is a way to make one, i'm up for that too. I'm not against modding. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #89 of 105
Similar Question to the ones above. Does anyone know if going from iPhone --> Lightning to Micro USB adapter --> D42 Mamba --> Headphones, would work. I used to run into the phone not powering the DAC but the D42 has the ability to power itself. So the only think preventing me from using his method in theory would just be Apple's software unless I am missing something. Which is likely.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #90 of 105
How big is this compared to the  lightning to usb adapter with no charging option?

How easy is it to bend the 6"in cord?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back