New Apple Desktops
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not terribly impressed with the new hardware offerings from Apple. Still only Core 2 Duos for the iMac, and the "low-end" Mac Pro seems awfully pricey for what you get. Granted, Macs tend to be a little pricey regardless, but nevertheless I'm not too excited about the latest hardware refresh. My Core i7 Windows system may not be endangered after all.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 68
I just priced out a system using (as close as possible to) the same hardware in the "low-end" Mac Pro. Just a shade over $1,000 not factoring in case or PSU. That's just frickin' disgusting.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 68
Great news!
smile.gif

Especially the Mac mini, which where insane outdated.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 68
Yeah I'm afraid when you buy Apple, you're paying a premium for their brand and their design.

Apple is a freak of nature in the electronics industry. They are able to be the "price setters," due to the popularity and perception of their products and designs. Everyone else (Dell, Sony, Asus, etc) are all stuck in price wars.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 68
Does anyone else sometimes get a feeling that krmathis just posts w/o actually reading the original topic?

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 68
When you buy apple, you've got to price in their software. I don't really like their desktop offering but their laptop w/ OSX is just perfect for what I need.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else sometimes get a feeling that krmathis just posts w/o actually reading the original topic?

lol, at least for this thread... yes.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 68
Quote:

Well, I did!
But decided to post my feeling, since I could not second the OP's feeling.

I am well pleased with Apple's products, and don't find them overpriced for what they are.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 68
Keep in mind Apple uses server/workstation class Xeon 3500 Nehalem-WS or Xeon 5500 Nehalem-EP processors in the Mac Pro, not ordinary i7 desktop parts. Neither Dell nor HP seem to offer them in their workstations yet. You can disagree with the Xeon's value proposition, but they are not directly comparable.

It's a bit odd Apple doesn't provide a SSD option on them, though. I guess I'll just have to order an Intel X25-E by myself and find adapters for the mounting brackets.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am well pleased with Apple's products, and don't find them overpriced for what they are.

You're a better man than I, because I can't look past what is basically a $1,000 price premium for the Mac Pro. And after all this time for the iMac to get nothing more than a video card change and a higher RAM limit is pretty weak, IMO.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind Apple uses server/workstation class Xeon 3500 Nehalem-WS or Xeon 5500 Nehalem-EP processors in the Mac Pro, not ordinary i7 desktop parts. Neither Dell nor HP seem to offer them in their workstations yet. You can disagree with the Xeon's value proposition, but they are not directly comparable.

It's a bit odd Apple doesn't provide a SSD option on them, though. I guess I'll just have to order an Intel X25-E by myself and find adapters for the mounting brackets.

Nevertheless, I still think it's a massive rip-off. Of course, my opinion might change once the Nehalem Xeons become publicly available and I can get an idea on the price. I haven't really looked at the specs too much, though, to get an idea of what's different between the 2.66 GHz i7 and the 2.66 GHz Xeon. Maybe when I get home from work I'll check into that.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 68
The new mini isn't a very good value either.

I'm an Apple enthusiast, but their desktop offerings have never impressed me. But we do own two MacBooks and are thrilled with them. I use a Windows PC for any desktop computing I do.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #14 of 68
Quote:

That's great news! I too can't tolerate too much sodium in my eggs.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 68
it ain't a rip. it is apple. it is like comparing sansa to sony. both have good hardware but one is another 1/3 to 50% the price again. people who buy sansa buy sansa. people who buy sony buy sony.

apple products usually hit a price performance ratio that is good at a certain point, but you have to be prepared to compare the system, not the spec.

for the spec, you could go half the price or lower usually. but again, apple buy xeon class chips for the mac pro. the other thing to think is machined aluminium, a nice case that allows for pull outs and easy connectioin and cleaning.

apple don't put together a box, they design it.

it is expensive to those who don't care about a product but only about performance. for those who care about design and product, then apple's offerings are the only ones that will deliver and are worth the asking.

money is not the object, the object is the purchaser in this case. just like us: we buy headphones and amps that likely give the smallest of returns and we spend thousands on them. we are the apple to anyone not interested in headphones. but to us, it is worthwhile and necessary.

obviously, our similar goals don't apply to computers as if we are worried about price versus others or spec/spec comparison, we just want bottom line or in other words:

To relate headphones to computers, headfi is massively into the ibuds of computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back