New Apple Desktops
Mar 4, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nevertheless, I still think it's a massive rip-off. Of course, my opinion might change once the Nehalem Xeons become publicly available and I can get an idea on the price. I haven't really looked at the specs too much, though, to get an idea of what's different between the 2.66 GHz i7 and the 2.66 GHz Xeon. Maybe when I get home from work I'll check into that.

The Xeon 3520 (2.66GHz quad core) used in the base Mac Pro has a wholesale price of $284 in quantities of 1,000. The Xeon 5570 (2.93/3.20Ghz DP quad core) is $1,386.

Supplies are likely to be tight in the first few months for the higher-spec parts, so only tier 1 vendors like HP, Dell, Apple or Sun will get them at first.

The main difference between a Xeon and a Core i7 is ECC and faster QPI links, and dual-socket capability on the 5500 Xeons.

There's a lot of pent-up demand for the Nehalem Mac Pros. I ordered mine to replace a 5 year-old Dual 2GHz G5. Apple will keep prices high in the short term until the chip supply eases.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #17 of 68
I don't think the prices are that bad. You have to consider resale in the price - you'll usually have far less depreciation on the other end. Also, I tend to hang onto a Mac much longer than a PC. If you amortize the cost over four years and factor in a decent resale, they're actually a good deal.

I am very tempted by the quad Core Pro. It would take care of a few needs I have and I think I could get five years from it. I'll wait until the refurbs come out - there should be some closer to the $2,000 mark.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's great news! I too can't tolerate too much sodium in my eggs.

Well what do you expect? I told you not to let patrick tweak your headphones.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #20 of 68
This is an interesting take from a working pro photographer:
diglloyd Blog: March 2009

His gripe with the entry-level model is that it was crippled to a 8GB limit. That said, PS CS4 is still a measly 32-bit app so you can't expect much benefits from stuffing it with RAM. You'd get much more performance from adding an Intel X25-E as a dedicated scratch drive. Shades of DOS and EMS (shudder), thanks to Adobe's refusal to move with the times. My solution - shun CS4 and use Lightroom instead...

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #21 of 68
The Mac Mini IMO is quite decently priced, seeing how it's somewhat of a HTPC. And we all know how mad the prices of HTPCs can get these days. I think it's about time for me to get a Mac.

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #22 of 68
In any case, I'm just very disappointed. I'd love to have a Mac Pro, but the price is just too steep. I suspect I could be content with an iMac, but I'm having a very hard time justifying spending $2000+ on a Core 2 Duo machine when I just built a Core i7 machine that completely blows it away in every conceivable way.

I guess I'll wait until the new Macs start shipping with Snow Leopard and reevaluate my options then.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #23 of 68
you still have to factor that an imac (at least 24 inchers) come with a nice panel: you won't get the same ips panel for cheap if you buy a different computer. also, you canot compare an all in one versus a desktop:

you need to compare all in one versus all in one. but i have never seen another all in one use such nice screens as in the better imacs.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #24 of 68
I don't see apple's computer line owning the market in the next few years...with all these micro PCs coming out and apple yet to produce a netbook, i don't think apple is going to progress any farther than it has been up to now..

also, perhaps its a passing fad...macs are losing their appeal because they're not a secret of an efficient laptop, ...but soon the slogan is going to be "hey, being hip isn't apple anymore, its using what everyones not using - pc laptops"

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #25 of 68
I just bought Apples best iMac yesterday. I love it. I don't care if its cost effective or not, its a beautiful machine. I didn't buy it because its hip. I have used both macs and windows and I'd rather use a mac any day of the week. I don't care if they cost more (and they do).

I hear the same old lines about KRELL amps when I buy one. Cost too much. Yeah and they sound phenomenal too!

Plus I'm not afraid to check my email! Or surf the web.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #27 of 68
Apple just isn't interested in competing at the commodity end of the product lines - whether it be the phone market or the computer market. There is very little profit to be made there, the competition is ferocious and it puts a serious dent in it's product image.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #28 of 68
Apple doesn't cater to the mass market. It's not meant for everybody.

If you compare the specs properly, Apple's pricing doesn't even come close to being overpriced. You roughly pay 10-15% more than other companies for the same part, but don't forget to factor in all the other features that no other company offers, such as multitouch, full aluminum body and most importantly, OSX.

Is it worth it to pay the premium? To me, what Apple has to offer is priceless, I'd happily pay the premium with no regrets.

Plus, the Mac Pro is already $300 off.. Why are you still complaining?

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #29 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you still have to factor that an imac (at least 24 inchers) come with a nice panel: you won't get the same ips panel for cheap if you buy a different computer. also, you canot compare an all in one versus a desktop

I priced out a desktop system using the same hardware as in the iMac (including a needlessly expensive motherboard, case and power supply) and a nice 24" monitor (newer HP model, can't remember the model off the top of my head) and my system still came out about $600 cheaper.

And on a completely unrelated note, what happened to Dell's 24" Ultrasharp monitor offering? I was looking for it yesterday to include it as part of my price comparison (because I know it's ridiculously expensive) but couldn't find any trace of it on Dell's website. Was I just having a bad day yesterday or did Dell suddenly axe it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back