New and Improved Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 v2.0 - Huge Sound in a Tiny Package.
Oct 12, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #212 of 325
I've decided on the Super.fi 5's after my Shure SCL4's broke on me for the 3rd time. Couple of issues and wondering how people deal with them:

-I'm having some problems working out with these headphones. Whenever I do an exercise with chest against something the remote control button always get clicked by accident

- I noticed that these are supposed to come with a "cinch" to tighten the headphones together when wearing over the ear. I can't seem to find anything and these just feel very weird as the two wires are very far apart. I enjoy the feel of them tight like the Shures where you can tighten and loosen at your convenience. Am I missing something because I can't find any sort of tightener

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #213 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got these to get into Super.Fi. Now I have owned a lot of headphones/earphones so I am going to review this as short, straight, and honestly as I can.

Most of my headphones/earphones, when I try them the first time, tend not to sound different 80% of the time unless it's really good.

When I first got this earphones I am really hoping that is good. At least for what I paid for. So.. ok the usual silicon tips and so on. Comply tips are the creme of the crop for me. It makes a good seal and it's very comfortable.

Initial hearing is not good. Detail is there and it's good. Soundstage is there but not as huge as people exaggerating about but it is pretty wide. The highs are rolled off but it's not that bothering. Mids is a hit on this earphones. It renders female vocals nicely but not as good as male.. and this leads me to the worst part of this earphones. When I first listened to this I said to myself "OMG where the hell is the bass. It sounds so thin" and I am right. I know when I make a good seal or not. I listened to various sources but the main equipment I use is the one the studio provided me. It's flat and it gives you bit by bit on what is playing. It's pure clean untouched audio. While the treble is very good the mid bass - bass just killed this. The only way I actually enjoyed this earphone is when I used my Sony A818 with Clear Bass 2-3+ then it's almost as good as my Shure SE530 and EX-700. But that is really not fair when reviewing so I stick with flat. Don't get me wrong it's there and it extends pretty well. But the impact is non-existent and the mid-bass is almost non-existent. It's hard to tell if there is a detail since it's barely there. I've listened to various CD from Hip-Hop to Classical to Rock to Jazz. While it's OK for treble heavy music like Classical, Hip-Hop/R&B and Rock is just a huge miss. The guitar riffs are very good on these but the drums are dead as in it's just sound. Beats sounds very distant on this when listening to Hip-Hop and R&B. Male vocals lose their "masculinity" due to the bass.

So that would be my initial impression.
After 3 days it's still the same. I really tried to like them I just really tried but I couldn't. I am not a bass head but I do need it. I will have a less detail and soundstage earphones with at least some bass than all treble and no bass.

I am actually thinking on selling this or trading it for a Super.Fi 5 or Super.Fi 5 EB. So if anyone is interested for a Super.Fi 5 with a Super.Fi 5 or Super.Fi 5 EB PM me.

I am sorry but I cannot sugar coat this with only detail and soundstage.

I completely agree with this review. I have had my pair of these for around 4 weeks now, and have listened to maybe 40+ hours of music - should be enough burn in time?

Sound stage is not good - not reverb heavy, good detail but just lacking that encompassing room feeling.

Bass is also lacking. I have had to mess with the EQ heavily to cut near the top-end (which is quite sibilant-tastic) and boost the bass (most of the lower end range).

I'm disappointed. After a long break, I have gone back to my (brilliant) Crossroads Mylarone X3i's and they sound amazing in comparison - for my ears, they only need a small bass boost, and treble can be left as-is.

Overall: Disappointing, nowhere near worth the money, considering I've also listened to a pair of £40 Sennheiser that sound better. Those looking for hi fidelity, look elsewhere.

I think the full super.fi 5 pro model might be worth it, though.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #214 of 325
I don't like the plug on the new SuperFi. It similar to the one used on the X3is, and those are prone to breaking...

So should I get these, or rather The Denon c 751 or q-jays?
Thanks for the reiview by the way
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #215 of 325
Bump for more SA6 vs. SF5 vs. SF5Pro comparisons!

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #216 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnycaff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely agree with this review. I have had my pair of these for around 4 weeks now, and have listened to maybe 40+ hours of music - should be enough burn in time?

Sound stage is not good - not reverb heavy, good detail but just lacking that encompassing room feeling.

Bass is also lacking. I have had to mess with the EQ heavily to cut near the top-end (which is quite sibilant-tastic) and boost the bass (most of the lower end range).

I'm disappointed. After a long break, I have gone back to my (brilliant) Crossroads Mylarone X3i's and they sound amazing in comparison - for my ears, they only need a small bass boost, and treble can be left as-is.

Overall: Disappointing, nowhere near worth the money, considering I've also listened to a pair of £40 Sennheiser that sound better. Those looking for hi fidelity, look elsewhere.

I think the full super.fi 5 pro model might be worth it, though.

Exactly the reason I sent mine back, and instead was able to snag a pair of Klipsch Image X10s for $190 on Amazon (an authorized purchase). Too bad the sale ended quickly. A major improvement from the UE 5s.

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #217 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump for more SA6 vs. SF5 vs. SF5Pro comparisons!

Only comparison I can make is the UE SF5s (not pro) sounded thin and unexciting compared to the Sleeks (see review a few posts up), so I sent them back. To me, no contest. But others seem to favor the SF5s. Can't figure out why.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #219 of 325
after 1.5 month ownership (75 hours of use) I have to sent the IEM's back for warranty, the right earphone is very low in volume. It started a couple days ago, I was noticing the sound was not 'around my head' but more 'around my left ear'. Yesterday in approx. 15 minutes the volume of the right earphone dropped to almost nothing.
The reason why this happened is unknown, the IEM's are always clean, there is never any earwax in it..

So at the moment I'm using my old Creative Zen Aurvana again and the Fi.5 has to go back to the shop
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #220 of 325
hmm,I wonder if anyone knows they have announced anything like this for the triple.fi series?

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #222 of 325
awesome review dfkt. sry but curious thing is, your review seems different from the perspective of many peoples' post in this thread. possibility that is has to do with the "break-in"

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #224 of 325
well just that you are one of the few that actually liked it. seem like many find it "tinny," "lack bass," etc.

haha sounds so awful or "awful"?

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #225 of 325
Hmmm, I pretty much agree with Edwood's first post in this thread. He seems to hear the same things as me in the SF5.

I've seen mostly comparisons with the Sleek SA6 in this thread, which I never tested. But tinny sound and lacking bass I certainly don't hear in the SF5. For a single armature the bass is great, much more than any other I heard, even a considerably bit more than the dual-driver q-Jays.

I'm using them mainly with a Cowon D2 and Headsix, it sounds great to me.

I was serious about the "awful" part, I even wrote it in the review (first paragraph in the "sound" chapter) - but this only applied to their sound right out of the box. Now I certainly like them - a lot more than my SF5Pro or EB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back