New and Improved Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 v2.0 - Huge Sound in a Tiny Package.
Sep 2, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #181 of 325
For the type of musical presentation which I prefer...

More of a Balanced Presentation
Top End Sparkle...
Not overwhelming Bass

I liked the se530 and Triple.fis...but

se530 (rolled off highs turned me off)
Triple.fi (recessed mids / vocals turned me off)

I really appreciate the sound and detail of Livewires and Sleek SA6 (standard ports). Just picked up a pair of the Klipsch Image x5, and they are also very nice. Very comfortable. Sound is similar to the SA6, with the X5 giving just a hint more bass

For comparison, my favorite full sizes headphones are: AKG K701 and Sennheiser HD600

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #182 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really appreciate the sound and detail of Livewires and Sleek SA6 (standard ports). Just picked up a pair of the Klipsch Image x5, and they are also very nice. Very comfortable. Sound is similar to the SA6, with the X5 giving just a hint more bass

I've read a few times now that the SA6 and X5 are similar. Do you see much reason for a fellow SA6 owner to also spring for the X5? What was your motivation, oak3x? And any chance you can compare the X5's bass output and impact to the SA6's with a pinhole-modded bass+ port?

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #183 of 325
The Sleek SA6 and Image X5 are similar in sound... Remember though, my SA6 are with the stock ports, as shipped from the manufacturer.

The Image X5 have a bit deeper bass impact, and slightly more forward mids (vocals). Additionally, the Image X5 provide better comfort with their ear gels. The stock X5 ear gels (single flange) are some of the most comfortable I have tried, but did not yield great isolation...thus I switched to the X5 double flange (which were much better).

The SA6 were just a tad more laid back (balanced) with the stock configuration. Reminds me of the Ety ER-4P with a bit more bass.

Wires / Wearing Position: I like the SA6 wires and optional wearing position. The wires are thicker, and you can easily wear around the top of the ear...with the rotating plugs.

For the price being similar, I would have to lean toward the SA6...but not by a large margin. With an upcoming cross country trip at the end of this week, I will be able to better evaluate upon returning

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #185 of 325
The Super.fi 5 have more of a balanced presentation...while the UM2 tilt more toward the lowers

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #186 of 325
After much umming and ahhing over what to replace my MylarOne X3s with, I've gone for these.

Arriving tomorrow - can't wait!

I hope they're close to the super.fi 5 pro I tested a couple of years ago, they were flipping amazing.

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #187 of 325
So, how does everyone here rank these three overall in terms of SQ?

(Listed below by price, from lowest to highest.)

Super.fi 5

Super.fi 5 PRO

SA6

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #188 of 325
I preferred the Super.fi Pro much more...

And even more so:

Sleek SA6
Klipsch Image X5
Livewires

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #189 of 325
Enjoying them so far - much more detail and separation than my old CrossRoads MylarOne X3.

Need to burn them in a bit more before I can comment on bass / mids /trebles, but all seems nice so far.

I love the straight connector, solid build and cable - this is clearly meant for iPods and modern slimline gadgets.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #190 of 325
Regards to all headfiers. Just wanted to add some quick thoughts re the new superfi 5's - received mine today.

Main first impression is the amazing detail and wide soundstage. Very much more than my superfi 5 pros. Not quite as much bass as the pros - which is what I expected - but the comfort/fit (for me) is better. Agree with funnycaff re build and the connector too.

One thing i've done is try other tips. Unlike most i'm not a comply fan - so I tried some shure tips but am liking Ety double flanges best- such a personal thing though (YMMV)

At the price point I think these new UE's are a pretty nice phone!!

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #191 of 325
Does anyone know where the new Super.Fi 5 vi (for the iPhone) could be had? The UE web site says that it would be available Oct 1st but seem to be nowhere to be found. Also are these the same sound as the Super.Fi 5 but just with the addition of a speaker for the phone?

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #193 of 325
How are the new Sfi.5 compared to the q-Jays? They cost approx the same, are they also equall to eachother?

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #194 of 325
Hi all
Quick update after a week of listening - I'm liking the superfi 5 more and more. Especially the fit - which is meaning for me that 3 or 4 hours continous is perfectly comfortable. I use the "up over and around back of ear" style (sorry-no pictures to hand yet)
I've settled on Ety double flange silicone tips (never been a comply type of fan I'm afraid) The wide soundstage is amazing. I occasionally mis the bass of my superfi5 pros and switch back to those - but after an hour or so the bigger phone begins to make my ears ache a bit - the superfi5 (v2.0) is smaller/lighter and much more comfy!!
Hpnas - dont know where you are based - I'm uk - and saw these at Handheldaudio of London
Regards all.

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #195 of 325
I also continue to like my sper.fi 5s. Their comfort is just leaps and bounds above the pros. I sat in the library all morning listening to the 5s and didn't experience one bit of discomfort. I still have a hard time parting with my super.fi 5 pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back