New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Dec 3, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #871 of 1,351
  The same one I have mentioned since the very first firmware.

Navigate by Folder and you will see all the files from a certain artist
Navigate by artist and only one file shows up, the titles of all the other tracks are blank and you can't select them for playback.

This happens to some artists and not all. All my other DAPs (>10) display everything correctly, so it isn't tag related either.
I don't think there is another way to play all files from one artist if they're divided over several folders. I normally shuffle all files (no problem there) or I listen to one specific artist (not album) on shuffle, and in that case this is very annoying

Oh this one, I actually filed a report of this bug for L&P with the help from Paul(Brooko), and it should be fixed in future update.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #872 of 1,351
I am very grateful for frequent updates, hope in one of next you will fix random play mode. When I play all tracks in random mode some tracks play more often, some never. Maybe it's also because of when I turn off dap and turn it on again it starts play tracks only in one folder, not all in memory, like it must be. It's very inconvenient for people who use shuffle by all tracks. I want just to turn on device in my pocket, push play button and continue playing all tracks in random, not use file explorer again.
Also I think file explorer need section "Last added" and "albums" can be placed inside "artist" section. IMHO.

Hmm, I just tested the random play mode(I have never used this actually, but I find it quite fun to use now), and I have not notice the problem you described. I use random play mode for all songs and regardless if I restart the device, it always switch to a song in different album when I press next song. 

Maybe if you can elaborate on it a bit more?

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #874 of 1,351
  use it for a few days and you will see it prefers certain artists more than others :)
And good news on the file bug thing!!

Ou, that is very hard for me to test it out, I will just pretend it is machine learning, L5 Pro learning what songs you or it likes. 
tongue_smile.gif

If some one can elaborate more on this bug I can file a report for it.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #875 of 1,351
Guys, repeating songs in random playing mode is an issue that has been plaguing every player I used (even Foobar, for that matter). I'm not sure what powers are at work here, but that's how it is with "random" in contrast to "shuffle" (like on iPods, for instance) that effectively rehashes the songs in you playlist, instead of choosing the next one at random. Why manufacturers favour the former instead of the latter is beyond me, however.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #876 of 1,351
Dear L5 Pros

Burn in completed - 200+ hours. Some brief impressions.

Operation; no faults bar an annoying predilection for self-ejecting when attached to mac for file transfers. (Four times so far and annoying because it only likes my micro cards to be loaded up whilst inserted in L5 Pro.) Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

There is absolutely nothing else I would fault on this player; I might have one or two preferences but they are luxury add-ons rather than fundamentals eg I don't rate the 'equaliser' settings and feel the "off" position for this feature is much better than any of the options. I've read here thoughts on adding an EQ function and I second them as a future player enhancement rather than current problem fix.

Playing; There is one word that keeps springing to mind; authenticity. This player is SO authentic. Dynamism even at low volume. Breadth and depth soundstage. And tonally? Wow. Repeat, wow.

Solo piano is a singular stress test for any dap and, on Natsukashii - Helge Lien Trio, there is plenty of it. The L5P renders each key stroke as close to the real thing that I have heard on a portable / desktop set up. Voice reproduction is stellar. Holly Cole, Patricia Barber, Norah Jones. Purity of reproduction with realistic 'rasp' built in.

Attack; I don't mean boosted thrum(p)! I mean percussive hit on guitar, cello, timpani, kettle. And Ben Webster tenor sax; I swear you can hear him just breathe life into the thing.

And I have to doff my hat to the tuning of the digital filter set up; outstanding. Fast is good for complex pieces and big bands / orchestras but slow is top notch for anything acoustic be it classical or jazz. I think the new super slow setting is very much a horses for courses option but on eg Jaques Loussier stuff, it is like listening to an analogue recording of a live venue performance. Ditto Jazz at the Pawn Shop

Authentic; I keep coming back to this as I hear significant tonal differences between TYPES of guitar (Fernandez / Forcione) and piano (Patricia Barber / Norah Jones) I am almost willing to bet I would be able to pick the brands of some instruments.

Unexpected situation; I strongly suspect my FAD Heaven IVs are holding my L5 Pro back - and I rate the FADs! So in ear suggestions would be very welcome from L5 Pro users / owners . Budget $500 - $750 ish. Heaven VII?

I'll write in more depth when I have more L5 Pro hours in my ears.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #877 of 1,351
Glad you have been enjoying it so far!

One thing I want to mention is that L5 Pro uses an analog chip for volume control, this is why it is able to archive  

"Dynamism even at low volume."

There are plenty of DAPs now don't appreciate this design, but they got their reasons. However one of the drawback of not having an analog volume control is lost of resolution and dynamics in low volume.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #878 of 1,351
Hey albaman, 

From the music you listen to(piano, guitar, jazz stuff), I would really recommend a cheap IEM called JVC FX1100. It has a very dynamic yet musical sound, and it is great for the music genres you listen to. Although it might have a slightly slower and thick signature comparing to FAD, it pairs quite well with L5 Pro.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #880 of 1,351
Has anyone compared these with the new onkyo DAP?
So far I've compared this with the AK240 and there's no doubt, the L5pro gives more delicate details. The crashing of the cymbals is layered well with weight and texture. The 240 does it smooth which is a little off from being realistic. I have compared the DX90 & DX80 but they are nowhere near the L5pro's dynamics, presentation & staging.
I also tried it with my Hugo to see how the Hugo changes its sound signature. Separation is most noticeable with the L5pro-hugo pairing and phenomenal imaging.
The current X7 sq is not gonna best L5pro unfortunately. Got no QP1R but based on the user gripes then the L5pro is way better even without the swipe feature.
Also, dsd and 24bit fan boys like me will absolutely love this. This is way more stable than the AK240. I'm not even gonna go to my problems with the AK100ii.
This is truly an amazing sounding DAP. It can hold its own even with the AK380.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #883 of 1,351
Tha
I'm thinking the same but I still wanna hear it myself. :wink::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Yeah, of course, audition is the most important step before purchasing anything.

Yet, I hardly audition any of my purchases though, hahaha, but I only make my purchases after thorough research and suggestions from trust worthy audiophile friends.

Opinions from people like twister(Alex), Ultrainferno and Brooko are generally pretty good.

PS. These three people will give me reputation for this post, this is a social experiment.

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #884 of 1,351
There's no eu review group is there? :p
I'm like 4-5 weeks away from receiving the X7 eu tour unit; would've loved to have the L5Pro along in for the ZX2/DP-X1/X7 shootout.

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #885 of 1,351
I am very grateful for frequent updates, hope in one of next you will fix random play mode. When I play all tracks in random mode some tracks play more often, some never. Maybe it's also because of when I turn off dap and turn it on again it starts play tracks only in one folder, not all in memory, like it must be. It's very inconvenient for people who use shuffle by all tracks. I want just to turn on device in my pocket, push play button and continue playing all tracks in random, not use file explorer again.
Also I think file explorer need section "Last added" and "albums" can be placed inside "artist" section. IMHO.

Hmm, I just tested the random play mode(I have never used this actually, but I find it quite fun to use now), and I have not notice the problem you described. I use random play mode for all songs and regardless if I restart the device, it always switch to a song in different album when I press next song. 

Maybe if you can elaborate on it a bit more?

Yes, you right, I just checked it works. Last time I've seen this behavior on 0.3 firmware, looks like it was fixed already, but I did not see it in changelog. Excellent player gets even better :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back