New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Nov 29, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #841 of 1,351
Further to my earlier post - I got home tonight and decided to test the HD600 again with the L5 Pro.

• It sounds incredibly good
  • On high gain, vol 50/60, playing a bit of REM, it's really too loud - peaks at 90 dB, averaging in the low 80's (C weighted, measured with an SPL meter)
  • Just switched to some MD (kind of Blue) and at the same volume, it's nice and comfortable - if anything I'd drop the volume down to around 45-47.
  • Last test - classical (Amsterdam String Quartet - DSD) and I haven't needed to touch the volume.

So plenty of dynamics, and still one more gain setting and around 15-20% left on the pot.

IMO anyone saying the HD600/HD700 can't be handled by the L5Pro is either:
  1. Listening to some really quietly recorded tracks
  2. Listening at unsafe volume levels

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #842 of 1,351
Frankly, I'm loving this L5Pro.  My other players are a HiFiMan901 and an AK100ii.  The L5Pro far exceeds the AK in the areas of SQ, clarity, and instrument placement, clearly they play in different leagues (pun intended).

Comparing the L5Pro to the 901, the presentation and sound signature are very similar, with slightly more clarity and air with the L5P.  Both drive my HE-560 flawlessly at approximately 50% output.  Switching to my ciems, the L5P handles them quite well, albeit with a slightly less precise soundstage, not so with the 901.  At the low output required for the ciems, the 901's volume control gets extremely coarse, I can distinctly hear the volume control steps, and the steps don't match left to right (I suppose if I upped the ante to purchase their special iem amplifier card this might be solved, but the card is almost half the cost of the complete L5P).

I may be incorrect in my assumption that the L5Pro reads Title and Artist data from the file header, but I have used 6 or 7 different tag editors on my flac files and none of them produced better than a very occasional track & author data for the display, they were, however, able to insert the cover graphics properly.  The Properties/details update trick I described in my earlier post solved this problem, I have run it on about 2700 flac files and every one I have tried on the L5P displays correctly.  I haven't experimented with any file formats other than flac.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #843 of 1,351
  IMO anyone saying the HD600/HD700 can't be handled by the L5Pro is either:
  1. Listening to some really quietly recorded tracks
  2. Listening at unsafe volume levels

Hey Paul, I think we might have some misunderstanding on this concept.

What I meant by "HD700 is definitely too power-hunger for L5 Pro to drive", was not talking about volume, but about how much power and control of that power L5 Pro is offering. Of course L5 Pro does sound great with these headphones and it can drive them to a very modest level, but headphones such as HD700/800 and HD600 would benefit greatly with a proper desktop amp. While with portable headphones and IEMs, not so much.

HD600 is definitely one of the best headphone I heard, glad you are liking it =)

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #844 of 1,351
G'day Brooko!

My take on the HD700 is my opinion, based on my experience with my ears. As stated, after one hour or so of burn-in listening. To insist that both John Young and I are either listening to really quiet tracks or listening at unsafe levels is, objectively, an unsafe opinion.

cool.gif

I am delighted the L5 Pro / HD700 combo works for you. Truly. I thoroughly enjoy my HD700s and will not even consider parting with them. But that doesn't mean this combo works for me. No two humans have the same hearing sensitivity / capability so it is an absolute certainty that our experience will be different.

I say, vive la difference!

(Although I think we all agree that the overall sound quality of the L5 Pro is pretty special.)

;<)

albaman

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #845 of 1,351
Sorry gents - but it is one of my pet hates - saying a source that is putting out enough power "isn't powering the headphones properly".  There is preference - and it's fine if it is identified as such.  But there isn't any magic.  it's simply current and voltage against sensitivity and impedance. It either drives them or it doesn't.  The L5 Pro has enough current and voltage to drive them.  Neither is a difficult load.  I have owned both (still own HD600), so I'm speaking from direct experience.

I can understand if your preference is for a different source.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #846 of 1,351

Hey Paul, I think we might have some misunderstanding on this concept.

What I meant by "HD700 is definitely too power-hunger for L5 Pro to drive", was not talking about volume, but about how much power and control of that power L5 Pro is offering. Of course L5 Pro does sound great with these headphones and it can drive them to a very modest level, but headphones such as HD700/800 and HD600 would benefit greatly with a proper desktop amp. While with portable headphones and IEMs, not so much.

The same thing even with Philips Fidelio X1/X2.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #848 of 1,351
Anyone able to comment sound coming from oppo ha 2 compared to this?

Thanks

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #850 of 1,351

Anyone able to comment sound coming from oppo ha 2 compared to this?

Thanks

To my ears L5Pro is way better. It have tighter and more controlled bass and faster mids.

Agree, HA-2 sound is more relaxed, and also warmer.  Still detailed and resolving, but not as tight as L5 Pro.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #851 of 1,351
@zman123  

It is better to keep conversation on L5 Pro on this thread, lets move to here.

I have helped L&P to translate their manual, so future international orders will get English manual.

I think I am the breathing English manual for L5 Pro for now.....

John

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #853 of 1,351
  Hello again John. I have looked and cannot seem to find firmware v 1.0.0.4  for the L&P  L5P.
Do you possibly have the download link you could send me? Thanks!

Zman

Hey, sorry for not updating the first post already.

Here is the link to the post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760848/new-and-improved-luxury-precision-l5-pro-32bit-dsd-dap-with-akm-ak4490-touch-screen-rosewood-blackplate/765#post_12093439

You can also use "Search This Thread" to search for posts with keywords such as "1.0.0.4"

John

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #855 of 1,351
Thanks guys, was just thinking if it was worth upgrading from that. No stores down here has any for demo.

Currently using ie 800 with ha 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back