New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Nov 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #826 of 1,351

John, please tell me Mr Wan is working on touch-swiping? 
biggrin.gif
After testing X7 and DX80, every time I get my hands on L5 Pro - I can't understand why touch-swiping is not working
wink.gif

Btw, the latest X7 firmware update scaled up that FiiO's dap to L5 Pro level, no kidding.  Just a sound quality only and for IEMs only.

LP are working on that, but not a specific time constraint on it though, unlike USB DAC they are just finalizing it now.

PS. Just purchased the fostex thx00, can't wait to hear how the two woodies play together.

That's great to hear, and for sure will make L5 Pro more competitive, raising its value!!!

So, I guess you are one of the MD contributors who helped them set a new 24hr record?   That THx00 looks quite amazing, and for $399?!?  A bargain!

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #828 of 1,351

That's great to hear, and for sure will make L5 Pro more competitive, raising its value!!!

So, I guess you are one of the MD contributors who helped them set a new 24hr record?   That THx00 looks quite amazing, and for $399?!?  A bargain!

I am such a woodie sucker, I even set my alarm clock to  6am just to grab it early XD.

Too bad it isnt the same wood as the back-plate of L5 Pro, or they can be brothers =D

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #834 of 1,351
Status update from a technically challenged music lover:

My L5 Pro arrived at the beginning of last week. After resolving a couple of "how to" issues - big thanks John Young, Ultrainferno - I had a listen for an hour before committing to the recommended burn in.  We are now 130 hours into a 200 hr burn in and I have just had a listen to a mix of test tracks for the first time since new. ( - So no brain burn in factor.)

I tried my Senn HD700s but the L5 Pro doesn't deliver quite enough juice to do both phones and DAP justice; will experiment with addition of Cayin C5 amp later next week. Eagerly awaiting arrival of ZMF Blackwoods to test as a pairing. A successful match of these two would be an unexpected bonus. The ZMF are really for my Yulong desktop system but if they prove any easier to drive (50ohm vs 150ohm) than the Sennheisers, this could be an unexpected bonus.

So: FAD Heaven IV 16ohm earphones attached. Low gain (Level 2 of 5 ). Volume at 35-40 / 60. Digital Filter set to fast. Helge Lien jazz. Bach Cello Suites. Admiral Fallow folk/rock.

What I felt to be a slightly loose or over-egged bass and a touch of treble brightness or digital glare have receded and the overall sound is both more authentic and better balanced now. Because the lower and upper registers have been refined a little. I'm hearing a better mid-range contribution to the mix. 

This is a very musical player. By that, i don't mean emotion at the expense of detail. I mean detail but not at the expense of emotion. ( Music teacher used to repeat ad infinitum, "don't just play the notes, play the music"!) I find it hard to believe there will be further improvement over the next three days but can't wait to find out on Wed evening (gmt).

I experimented briefly with the digital filter set to slow on Bach's solo cello tracks (Tunnicliffe - 16/44). Yes, it's horses for courses but this is easily the best output I have heard from any DAP ever. I see the updated 0.4 UI has a new digital output attenuation; super slow. Eager to try with some appropriate acoustic jazz / classical sounds. 

I have digested all the comments about operational irritants and storage preferences but, at this admittedly early stage, the sound quality of my L5 Pro simply makes them irrelevant. Folder > artist > album > track is fine by me. And I PREFER carrying a variety of 64gb micro sd cards in a business card holder to switch moods at leisure.

In summary...

Is it Wednesday yet?

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #835 of 1,351
Now that I have an L5Pro, I've been playing around with the problem of displaying the artist's name correctly and think I understand what the issue is
biggrin.gif
.  The L5Pro is reading the "Title" and "Artist" from the file's property header, not directly from the ID3 data
mad.gif
.  Here's a method I worked out to make the data appear correctly:

1. Use any good tag editor to prepare the ID3 metadata, including adding a cover jpg. (You have probably already done this).
2. Using explorer or any other file manager, click on a flac music file, then right click to bring up a dialog menu. Click on "Properties".
3. Go to the "details" tab.  You should see both the title and album artist fields completed, if not enter the data.
4. You must make at least one change to the displayed fields in order to activate the "Apply" button.  Press this and it will rewrite the file with the correct header.  Now all data will show up correctly in the L5Pro.

Multiple files can be processed at once by using the explorer search function in your main music folder to find all ".flac" files within the folder.   Highlight the ones you want and then proceed with steps 2-4  for the batch.  All of the files will be rewritten, so this update may take a while.

Hopefully, L&P will correct their data source for the display in a future firmware update but until that happens this work around has made me a happy camper.
Steve L
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #838 of 1,351
  Status update from a technically challenged music lover:

My L5 Pro arrived at the beginning of last week. After resolving a couple of "how to" issues - big thanks John Young, Ultrainferno - I had a listen for an hour before committing to the recommended burn in.  We are now 130 hours into a 200 hr burn in and I have just had a listen to a mix of test tracks for the first time since new. ( - So no brain burn in factor.)

I tried my Senn HD700s but the L5 Pro doesn't deliver quite enough juice to do both phones and DAP justice; will experiment with addition of Cayin C5 amp later next week. Eagerly awaiting arrival of ZMF Blackwoods to test as a pairing. A successful match of these two would be an unexpected bonus. The ZMF are really for my Yulong desktop system but if they prove any easier to drive (50ohm vs 150ohm) than the Sennheisers, this could be an unexpected bonus.
  In summary...

Is it Wednesday yet?

Nice write up albaman, I share a lot of same options with you.

HD700 is definitely too power-hunger for L5 Pro to drive, perhaps LP5 would drive it better, but a good desktop is needed.

L5 Pro is definitely one of the most musical DAP I have heard that does not hold back its resolution, setting up high bars for future L&P devices cough cough*

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #839 of 1,351
  Now that I have an L5Pro, I've been playing around with the problem of displaying the artist's name correctly and think I understand what the issue is
biggrin.gif
.  The L5Pro is reading the "Title" and "Artist" from the file's property header, not directly from the ID3 data
mad.gif
.  Here's a method I worked out to make the data appear correctly:

1. Use any good tag editor to prepare the ID3 metadata, including adding a cover jpg. (You have probably already done this).
2. Using explorer or any other file manager, click on a flac music file, then right click to bring up a dialog menu. Click on "Properties".
3. Go to the "details" tab.  You should see both the title and album artist fields completed, if not enter the data.
4. You must make at least one change to the displayed fields in order to activate the "Apply" button.  Press this and it will rewrite the file with the correct header.  Now all data will show up correctly in the L5Pro.

Multiple files can be processed at once by using the explorer search function in your main music folder to find all ".flac" files within the folder.   Highlight the ones you want and then proceed with steps 2-4  for the batch.  All of the files will be rewritten, so this update may take a while.

Hopefully, L&P will correct their data source for the display in a future firmware update but until that happens this work around has made me a happy camper.
Steve L
beerchug.gif

Hey Steve, glad you are on board with us.

However, from my knowledge, L5 Pro does read from ID3, and many of my music files has empty headers but labeled with correct artist/album.

But I agree with you that L5 Pro's method of reading file tags isn't the most comprehensive ones, lot of work can be done to make our life easier. =)

How are you liking it so far?

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #840 of 1,351

HD700 is definitely too power-hunger for L5 Pro to drive, perhaps LP5 would drive it better, but a good desktop is needed.

Sorry guys - but as an ex HD700 owner, I can't agree with this at all.

The HD700 may be 150 Ohm, but it is relatively sensitive (105 dB SPL) and I'd like to point you toward this piece I wrote some time ago comparing the HD600 and HD700.  At the time I wrote:

AMPING / SENSITIVITY

Using the HD700 and HD600 with my LD MKIV OTL tube – both headphones were actually very close on the pot to achieve the same SPL.  The HD600 despite being higher impedance required one click lower to match the HD700.

With the X5 – again the HD700 from the same volume setting achieved a very slightly lower SPL, but again very close (2 points down on the digital volume scale).  Both headphones sounded excellent with the X5 – and I have no qualms about using it as a source straight from the headphone out (no further amping).

With my iPhone4 – I had a similar result – but the interesting thing is how well the iPhone unamped was able to handle both the HD700 and HD600.  True – the X5 sounded subjectively better to my biased ears – but the iPhone4 definitely did not sound sub-standard.

If the X5 can drive the HD700 to reasonable volume levels and dynamics, then the L5 Pro will have no issues.  Yes the LP5 would be better, but the L5 Pro is no slouch.

And it sounds great with the HD600 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back