New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Feb 18, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #1,156 of 1,351
I would say if you plan to use some portable/easy-to-drive headphones, you will definitely need the extra power on L5 Pro.

If you plan to use it IEM only, L3 should be your best bet, plus you can use balanced output with your ES60 in the future.

On the side note, the pricing on L3 now is great.

I really wish they included balanced out on the L5p. I love the specs and looks. I just feel I can't go back to SE after using Pono balanced to XBA-Z5 for so long. Maybe a week implemented SE could out perform balanced out.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #1,157 of 1,351
I really wish they included balanced out on the L5p. I love the specs and looks. I just feel I can't go back to SE after using Pono balanced to XBA-Z5 for so long. Maybe a week implemented SE could out perform balanced out.

It is really hard to compare balanced output and SE, some people prefer one with their cans, and someone else would prefer the other one. So you might end up liking Z5 from SE on L5 Pro.

I had the same thoughts like yours about balanced ouput on L5 Pro. But from the photos of circuit board, it looks pretty filled for SE output already. I guess LP5 and L5 Pro is designed to be SE only. If they would to add balanced output, they would need to redesign the whole board and might as well call it a different name, like a next-gen. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,158 of 1,351
Well, L5Pro $690 on MassDrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/luxury-precision-l5-pro?utm_placement=0&referer=5UAP96&mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202016-02-22&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional

Good chance to get end-game DAP, and about $150 off to spare on decent earphones :)

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,160 of 1,351
Great news, but still too expensive from a Massdrop buyer perspective... As badly as I want it, I just can't justify the price over 550$ for it, as long as EQ is crappy and no bass-burst option or preset.

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,162 of 1,351
  Great news, but still too expensive from a Massdrop buyer perspective... As badly as I want it, I just can't justify the price over 550$ for it, as long as EQ is crappy and no bass-burst option or preset.

Hmm, some one here is a major bass-head huh? Maybe if L5 Pro will get custom EQs then you can boost the bass on your own wishes.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,164 of 1,351
@AlexRoma have you looked at the Cowon Plenues maybe, for bass... just got Plenue D and bass goes pretty deep, and that's without using any of the DSP/EQ stuff Cowon known for, not sure if the higher tier models are the same. (though L5P definitely seems a couple rungs up in terms of overall sound/presentation, at least without taking into consideration D's customizability).

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,166 of 1,351
  Well, L5 P does have a deep bass option for EQ, and it brought some sub bass up.

However, I am not an EQ person nor if I am a basshead, can't comment much on it.

I usually prefer not to fuss with EQ too- it does give a good sub boost, but overall not a great preset imo.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #1,167 of 1,351
  I usually prefer not to fuss with EQ too- it does give a good sub boost, but overall not a great preset imo.

I think the best sounding EQ is the Jazz preset, but I never fuss with it as well!

Back to the topic, I never consider L5 Pro to be lacking bass though, I even find it having too much bass for some music genres.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,168 of 1,351
  I think the best sounding EQ is the Jazz preset, but I never fuss with it as well!

Back to the topic, I never consider L5 Pro to be lacking bass though, I even find it having too much bass for some music genres.

Jazz and Rock are ok imo. I agree its not lacking in bass, about just-right for me, just the thickness in lower mids I wish I could address with custom EQ, and only by a notch or two- IDK how that works really, for instance with AK Jr's EQ I couldn't really change the character. Never occured to me how differently different dac/amp combos could sound- I'd noticed it in the past when switching to a new device but over the past couple months i've entered a treacherous DAP rolling wormhole like one of those soccer/football team changing managers every 6 months. Then I read about sound sometimes changing even between firmware updates lol...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #1,169 of 1,351
Luxury & Precision, give us a well implemented EQ, and you can have our money. It is that simple. If we pay over 500$ for a DAP, it must be musical, powerful & flexible for many headphone signatures. You've done most of it right. Please, don't forget the cherry of the cake (EQ)

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,170 of 1,351
  Luxury & Precision, give us a well implemented EQ, and you can have our money. It is that simple. If we pay over 500$ for a DAP, it must be both transparent & flexible for many headphone signatures. 

Personally I don't really care about EQ, I don't think I ever used it on any of my DAPs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back