New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Apr 13, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #78 of 1,351

Quote:
Cool, a bit of warmth is good for the L5. How do u find the Cayin amp stacked with L5?

Cayin C5 amp seems to improve the dynamic range of L5. Since the amp takes over the volume of LO, I no longre have to deal with L5 slow volume control.  

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #80 of 1,351
Let's make a wish list for the firmware. Here is mine:

1. "Shuffle All" function.

1. I have 8000+ songs in my 128G card and I am sure some of you have many more. Having this "Shuffle All" function that can play songs randomly from all folders (instead of songs from the current folder) will for sure bring the L5 fun factor to another level. My Sony Walkman, Fiio X5 and Fiio X1 all have this Shuffle All functions. Without this "Shuffle All" function, L5 is not going to be my main daily DAP.  Give me this function and I am willing to close one eye on all other remaining items in the list below.

2. Songs displayed in alphabetical order 
  1. Currently song list is not sorted so files/folders copied last will appear at the bottom.

3. Resume play 

1. There should be options for users to select whether to automatically resume play whenever the unit is turned on. It would be nice if there are two options just like Fiio DAPs, i.e. resume last song position or resume last from the beginning of the last song played.

4. Support for non-embedded album cover picture.

1. L5 should be made able to look for the file cover.jpeg in the current folder to display the cover picture. The current firmware only display album cover picture of each MP3 if the picture is embedded into the song. What about FLAC files?

5. Support for externally created M3U8 playlists

1. Just like the way Fiio X5 does.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #83 of 1,351
  What are those bumpers for?

The self-adhesive bumpers are supposed to prevent scratches from frequent contact with the flat surface. If you stack your L5 with a portable amp like I do, the bumpers will prevent their metal back from rubbing against each other.

They also provide better grip on slippery surface.

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #84 of 1,351

The self-adhesive bumpers are supposed to prevent scratches from frequent contact with the flat surface. If you stack your L5 with a portable amp like I do, the bumpers will prevent their metal back from rubbing against each other.

They also provide better grip on slippery surface.

I see, I usually use a leather pad for put between the source and the amp for separation. L5 is very resistant to scratches. I often leave it in a small bags alone with other audio equipments and I don't see any sign of scratches except a minor one on its metal back plate.
I hope they come up with some sort of case housing for L5 soon. I heard that they are working on leather cases for L5 and LP5.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #85 of 1,351
Penonaudio sent me 30 mins ago an email that they got 5 players in stock;
I already ordered one, hurry up....
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #86 of 1,351
Here is a little something to get you guys prepared before the arrival of your L5:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/760848/luxury-precision-l5-32bit-dsd-portable-lossless-music-player-with-akm-ak4490-touch-screen-cnc-aluminum-alloy-body#post_11458337

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #87 of 1,351
I'll like to thank rotant for meeting up with me near my office during lunch time to try his Luxury & Precision L5, and also his Cayin C5. 

I can safely say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the L5 is the "best" DAP that I've ever heard, the first DAP to make me say "This is it".

Maybe a little backstory: I'm very fickle when it comes to choosing a source for my Dita Audio Answer. I first got hooked to it when testing it with my O2 amp and JDS C5D dac/amp, both of which are very transparent, neutral and analytical. Hence, any source that has some warmth will render the setup too warm for me. Which is what caught my eye when the L5 was described as "neutral". In fact, I actually prefer the L5 to my AK100+O2 pairing.

Of course, the L5 is not perfect but fortunately, the issues I have with it have nothing to do with sound quality: The touchscreen is very irresponsive, easily the worst I've tried on a DAP but that could be improved with a firmware update. Similarly, I NEED browsing by songs, albums and artists, which I believe should come in future updates.

My dilemma right now is to buy now or to buy at a later date after the firmware improvements have arrived.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #88 of 1,351
Xuan87, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!
I think you will end up fine with both decision, the only difference is whether you start to enjoy L5's sound now, or later*. Better to grab it before it is out of stock again at Peonoaudio.
(*and of course getting tortured by L5's touch screen now or later)

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #89 of 1,351
  Xuan87, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!
I think you will end up fine with both decision, the only difference is whether you start to enjoy L5's sound now, or later*. Better to grab it before it is out of stock again at Peonoaudio.
(*and of course getting tortured by L5's touch screen now or later)

Hahaha, the biggest issue right now is not the touch screen, since I found it faster sometimes just to use the physical buttons. It's the file sorting (or lack there of) that is giving me pause too.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #90 of 1,351

Hahaha, the biggest issue right now is not the touch screen, since I found it faster sometimes just to use the physical buttons. It's the file sorting (or lack there of) that is giving me pause too.

Oh well that can't be solved until future firmware updates, it is currently only sorted in the time created order. The best thing you can right now is to separate your audio files/album into folders(like manual playlists) so that songs would not be too hard to find when you have tons of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back