New amp by Lehmann Audio: Rhinelander
May 16, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #31 of 49
Just an update after two weeks ownership and around 100 hours burn-in. The unit has settled down to a very homogenous sound. The sound has actually warmed up quite noticeably and the bass region is noticably more firm, defined, powerful and extended (not that I had any complaints before). I actually had some mild bass boost on my EQ at the beginning (the PXC300 is fairly light in the bass to begin with), but now I have gotton rid of that, such has been the change.

The unit is incredibly unfatiguing (is that a word?) to listen to. With my old Musical Fidelity XCan V3, I could not listen for more than about half an hour tops, regardless of how softly I listened.

I have had a lot of hearing problems since I reacted badly to a prescribed antibiotic back in 2007. Amongst my subsequent problems to that episode are hyperacusis, which makes listening to music on anything less than a near perfect, life-like tonality and balance extremely difficult (regardless of volume level). But I can breeze through a Brahms symphony on this Rhinelander with total comfort and zero fatique. If you know what it is like to suffer from hyperacusis, then you will know that this is incredible praise for a headphone amplifier!

I would certainly like to hear the Black Cube, but then again it is such a step up in budget, I doubt I could ever afford it. And I am sure that if I did hear one for an extended period of time, I would not think as highly as I do now of the Rhinelander (all opinions are simply relative to what we have already experienced). Well maybe I can consider a Black Cube when I retire and get my superannuation
smily_headphones1.gif

For the foreseeable future, I am now done with headphone amps and headphones. This one, together with my PXC300, is a keeper.

May 16, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #32 of 49
To give you an idea as to the qualities of the Rhinelander, there was a test in the German hifi magazine STEREO, April 2009. For the sound quality the following % were given:
Creek OBH-21SE 94% dynamic, fine details
Heed CanAmp 78% very good midrange, not very dynamic
Lehmann Audio Rheinlander 95%. Top of the class, natural, dynamic
Pro-Ject Head-Box SE II 83%
SPL 2 Control 100% Very good!! Price 550 Euro
Musical Fidelity V-Can 90%

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #36 of 49
Excellent - in the meantime, I have send a PM to Norbert about this and he has über-quickly replied that low impedance headphones should not be a problem for the Rhinelander.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by s_nyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent - in the meantime, I have send a PM to Norbert about this and he has über-quickly replied that low impedance headphones should not be a problem for the Rhinelander.

Yes, I 've tried various very low impedance designs, such as CX300, IE7, Klipsch X10 and they work absolutely fine with the Rhinelander, giving quite a massive improvement from plugging these unassuming low impedance designs directly into the source.

I don't use these with it for normal purposes though - it is permanently married to my 300 ohm PXC300, but it is nice to know that it does not seem to care what impedance is presented to it.

This is big turnaround from my previous amp (XCan V3), that was hugely sensitive to the impedance, changing it's perceived tonal balance in a quite dramatic (and unwanted) way.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #39 of 49
Anyone care to post some impressions of the amp with the k701s? The pickings for us Aussies are slim - Creeks, Heeds and Slees are about all we can get locally, so the Rhinelander sounds like an attractive option....

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pickings for us Aussies are slim - Creeks, Heeds and Slees are about all we can get locally, so the Rhinelander sounds like an attractive option....

Funny you should say that. Headphonic in Perth stocks a small range including Meier Audio.

And the proprietor has just posted a mini review in the forums, comparing the Rhinelander against the Cantate and a DIY Pimeta.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #42 of 49
It's good to read some comments about this little beauty which essentially offers Lehmann craftsmanship at a more affordable price than the Linear. Very well made - an alternative to the Solo SRG is you find one is better than the other, yet we've found both are highly popular models.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #43 of 49
Hi

I recently bought this head amp to replace my Musical Fidelity X-Can v3. It has been run in and I've been using it for a few weeks now, so thought I'd post some comments.

First of all, it's much smaller - and lighter - than you might expect. As someone has already pointed out the feet aren't very grippy and indeed my Rhinelander doesn't sit absolutely flat, so i will probably buy some feet/cones to sort that out. i was also alarmed that the volume control had a rather gritty feel, but that was soon cleared up with a good blow to remove any dust trapped between the control and casework. And then I noticed one of the hex screws on the fascia was missing. A replacement was sent from the UK agents, Henley Design, within a day or so.

Now for the listening, using my Sennheiser HD650s and Pioneer PD-D9 and Chord Chamelon interconnects. Startling clarity compared with the X-cans and a much firmer bass. Stereo separation is also much improved. As others have pointed out listening fatigue - a problem with the X-can - is not an issue with the Rhinelander. SACDs sound particularly involving and three-dimensional too. The Fuga organ disc (featuring the Cavaile-Coll in St-Ouen) is very well captured and controlled, even when it roars and bellows (as it often does here).

Any caveats? A few. The sound may be a touch 'processed' compared with the X-can, but that may be something that's resolved over time. Also, I've tried both the 6dB and 20dB settings and there is a qualitative difference (to my ears at least). The higher gain produces a warmer. less analytical sound, which some may prefer. Listening to Gottschalk piano pieces played by Philip Martin (Hyperion) was particularly instructive here. Mr Lehmann also told me the lower gain was fine for the HD650s but I'd suggest prospective buyers experiment for themselves.

Hope that's useful to some of you. I will post more observations in the coming weeks.

Dan

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahlerei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was also alarmed that the volume control had a rather gritty feel, but that was soon cleared up with a good blow to remove any dust trapped between the control and casework. And then I noticed one of the hex screws on the fascia was missing.

Did you buy this unit as brand new or as a shop demo or similar? I have to say that those things you have mentioned are not only inexcusable but indicative of buying a pre-owned unit, not a brand new one.

I own two Rhinelanders bought brand new and have seen others in demo at stops and they have all been nothing but perfect. There is no way the manufacturer would have sent a new unit out in the condition you described.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you buy this unit as brand new or as a shop demo or similar? I have to say that those things you have mentioned are not only inexcusable but indicative of buying a pre-owned unit, not a brand new one.

I own two Rhinelanders bought brand new and have seen others in demo at stops and they have all been nothing but perfect. There is no way the manufacturer would have sent a new unit out in the condition you described.

Bought it brand new from a reputable dealer here in the UK (Audio Affair). As luck would have it I opened the box briefly and then didn't use the Rhinelander for about five weeks, as I was waiting for a new SACD player. Very odd that one of the hex screws was missing; in all the years I've been buying hi fi this has to be a first.

Was I sent a demo or secondhand one? I hope not. I would be interested to know what Norbert Lehmann makes of this, as these aren't the sort of problems you expect with kit that costs this much.

BTW I have reverted to the 6dB setting. listening at the 20dB setting with the HD 650s seemed okay at first but bass is less tight and overall detail suffers too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back