New ALO Rx - IEM only - Portable Amplifier Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 26, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #91 of 145
In case anyone missed it 'the hiss king' shigzeo has measured the Rx for Ohm Image and he's quite impressed with what he saw. Like we needed any more confirmation the Rx is awesome! :D

From the Sponsor Thread:

I know that this is very late, but here are RMAA measurements taken for the current Rx. As you already know, it is a superb performer, and in fact, the 2nd most stable amp I've ever measured. The first being the Cypher Labs Trio, but the Rx is in almost every metric, a better performer. If the gain were lower, it would receive full marks for IEMs. Still, I consider it the best value out there among high-performance IEM amps from boutique manufactures. Well done. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #92 of 145
He's impressed...but it seems like its not the amp for the very thing it seems marketed for: Sensitive iems. I'm disappointed; I was going to pick it up almost exclusively for sensitive iems. Am I the only one wishing that somehow ALO says there is something wrong with his unit? 

http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/

"...With super sensitive earphones, there is little to no wiggle room from the amp’s off position to absolute balance between channels at comfortable listening levels. And this from an amp designed for IEMs. Through the Ultrasone IQ, I am uncomfortable listening to volume levels beyond that where L/R channels balance. Fortunately, channels balance almost immediately. Still, for my sensitive ears, it is too high. 

And, while it’s not excessive, the Rx has a small amount of background noise that is audible through sensitive earphones. It is higher than competitors from Portaphile, Vorzüge, and select models from Cypher Labs. But, that noise low enough that many people may not notice it. 

Apart from that, the Rx is superb. I’ve yet to find a load that stymies the strength of its signal. It doesn’t drop voltage in any frequency, maintains incredible stereo separation, and high dynamic range. Its ability to maintain strong stereo images in all frequencies is nearly unheard of. It’s an output that’s worth its weight in gold- that is, unless you primarily listen to insensitive headphones, in which case, its maximum output is meagre." 

And

"End words

There are very few points against the current Rx. It is a superb performer. It is the smallest Rx yet.  It fits the current ALO branding to a T. If only its base gain level was lower, it would be perfect for IEMs. As it is, I recommend it for all medium-sensitive IEMs as hands-down the best performance-for-value portable amp on the market. 

Well done. "

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #95 of 145
imackler: Just tested Rx with FLC 8S IEM (11 Ohms, 107 dB/mW and stupid-good!).

On my first try, I could hear channel imbalance at low listening levels. Rx starts a 6 0'clock, and I was at 8 o'clock before channel imbalance was gone. However, this isn't consistent. I tried several times in a row, and each time channel imbalance was less of a problem. After about 5 tries, I couldn't hear channel imbalance any more - even at ridiculously low listening levels. And even if I did get channel imbalance, you can overshoot to the point where it's gone, decrease volume, and get to low listening levels with no channel imbalance.

As far as play on the volume pot goes, 6 o'clock is off. 7 is super quiet. 8 is quiet. 9 is medium. 10 is med-loud. 11 is loud. 12 is very loud. 1 is stupid loud. All with FLC 8S. Pretty darn good use of volume pot IMHO.

Hope that helps!

Maybe x RELIC x will chime in with his thoughts? Hmm?

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #96 of 145
Send it to Ken and he'll adjust the gain for free. For the JH Angie there are no issues for me. 17 Ohm / 117 dB.

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #97 of 145
Is there really that little room in the gain? Shigzeo's experience doesn't seem to match up with others who said basically don't both with this amp for anything but iems...

From my journey,it took me a while to understand the practicality of something like the Rx.

There is a channel imbalance but this will not interfere with one's practical and listening experience.
The spectrum of volume preset by the Rx permits users to FULLY enjoy the sound delivery even as you put yourself to sleep -- yep, by design this was meant to please.

I learned the hard way, in failing to understand the gain original intended even for quiet listening. Again no imbalance there. I myself became critical of this because it is SO PERFECT in so many different fronts!

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #98 of 145
My Rx (Brown PAW5000 (+5db) edition) arrived yesterday. First impressions via Line Out from a Sony ZX2 (Which is low output hence the choice of the higher gain Rx) into Noble Audio K10s is very positive. There is a sense of pace, drive and depth using the amp that is not present with the ZX2 alone. I was worried that there may be a slight loss of detail via na external amp but I cannot perceive any. I cannot hear any noise whatsoever via the Rx.
Gain is perfect for this combination - At full volume it's just loud enough for quieter recordings. The volume is then very linear all the way don, with perfect channel balance at low levels.

More impressions in a few weeks once it's had a chance to run in a little.

Cheers,

Peter.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #99 of 145

Much more!  The mids are more pleasant, the bass is more integral to the mids and the treble is less painful and only there when it's supposed to be.  If you happen to like 'Jazz At The Pawnshop' it sounds beautiful with the A's. 
The RX lets the Angies sound as they were meant.

This recording is out-of-this-world! Thank you!

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #100 of 145
Hey guys,

We do still have Rx bundle packages left.

First the 

Rx Cryo treated with the Lotoo Paw 5000 and Campfire Audio Orion package HERE

The the Rx Orion package, I will add on Monday the 7th.

I cant tell you how pleased we are with how good the Cryo treatment worked out on the Rx amp for this package.

Thank you

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 6, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #101 of 145

Is there really that little room in the gain? Shigzeo's experience doesn't seem to match up with others who said basically don't both with this amp for anything but iems...

imackler,

We here are totally confused also with his assessment honestly, I need to send him another Rx because the Rx does not work well at all for full size headphones. I would only use it with IEMs. There is plenty of gain I can add via a simple resistor swap.

Thanks you

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #102 of 145
Those are some good deals Ken! Curious, has the cryo treatment always been done on the new Rx?

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #103 of 145
I only have a new 'Cryo Treated' Brown model. I'd be interested to hear a comparison between cry and non-cryo. #sceptical

Regardless, the amp is great anyway...

Cheers,

Peter.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #104 of 145
I only have a new 'Cryo Treated' Brown model. I'd be interested to hear a comparison between cry and non-cryo. #sceptical

Regardless, the amp is great anyway...

Cheers,

Peter.

I have the anodized black, therefore my sound is much darker -- it basically avoids sibilance. ;p

More pics of your rx please!

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #105 of 145
Those are some good deals Ken! Curious, has the cryo treatment always been done on the new Rx?

I do share the very same curiosity with you. I wonder if the Cryo treatment has always been applied to the new Rx, or if it's a recent addition to the manufacturing process of the latest units only. And if that is actually the case, is the Cryo treatment available only for the Rx in the brown enclosure? The information available on the ALO website seems to suggest that the Cryo treatment is an exclusive of the brown Rx.

Even more on the same topic: would it be possible to have a Rx with the gain raised and the Cryo treatment applied?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back