New ALO Rx - IEM only - Portable Amplifier Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 6, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #62 of 145
I ordered it yesterday and right now my rx has already been sent to France.
I can t wait to receive it and publish a test in a French forum.
The rx will feed my Oriolus and maybe I will buy a fiio x5ii to go with

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #65 of 145
I ordered it yesterday and right now my rx has already been sent to France.
I can t wait to receive it and publish a test in a French forum.
The rx will feed my Oriolus and maybe I will buy a fiio x5ii to go with

It does wonders with the X5I, so you should be very pleased with an X5II to run it.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #66 of 145

yes I agree 100%, there is something uber special about Kens contribution to the Audio-Fi world!

something similar happened with me and the Vorzugue Pure II, it's an awesome amp, but standing next to the Rx, it becomes bland/blase? lifeless, which blows me away,

yes sounds like your hearing the Rx like I am! and I am simly utterly amazed by it daily!

Thanks KB!

Agreed.  Just got the RX last week and I am blown away.  It's by far the best of my portable amps, very musical, smooth, detailed and dynamic.  I have no doubt it improves the HP out on both my AK120 and DX90.  I do find it does take about 1/2 an hour of playing time for the DX90/RX combo to warm up though or it can sound a little harsh at first.  It's finally made my se846 enjoyable and my Angies sound outstanding to me now.

I usually don't post much on the sq of products on head-fi, but the RX and Angie imo are truly worth the price and I would even call the RX a bargain.

I'm wondering if the SQ will even improve further with break-in?  

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #67 of 145
Haven't noticed any break in on the Rx, then again I'm not looking for it either.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #68 of 145
Haven't noticed any break in on the Rx, then again I'm not looking for it either.

Ok.  Thanks... I also wanted to say thanks for your Angie thread and RX thread as they were the main reasons for my purchase.  It is not often when I make a head fi purchase that exceeds my expectations but this combo does.
beyersmile.png

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #69 of 145

How would you compare the Hugo strait with the same with the RX?

The amp section of the Hugo is pretty good for a portable dac/amp unit. But my se846 are sensitive and may experience some hissing from the Hugo which is why I pair it with the Rx. 

The Rx + se846, the highs and mids have more clarity and tight bass, but no additional bass which some listeners may find a little lacking. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #71 of 145
Ok.  Thanks... I also wanted to say thanks for your Angie thread and RX thread as they were the main reasons for my purchase.  It is not often when I make a head fi purchase that exceeds my expectations but this combo does.:beyersmile:

:beerchug:

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #72 of 145

How would you compare the Hugo strait with the same with the RX?

The amp section of the Hugo is pretty good for a portable dac/amp unit. But my se846 are sensitive and may experience some hissing from the Hugo which is why I pair it with the Rx. 

The Rx + se846, the highs and mids have more clarity and tight bass, but no additional bass which some listeners may find a little lacking. 

That's why I went from 846 to Angie.  I found the bass of the 846 somehow disconnected from the rest of the spectrum. The Angie is a top-to-bottom continuom whereas the 846's bass seems remote to me.
However, with my new DAP, I may have to relegate the RX to a general headphone amp for my computer, as I don't need it with this player.  But, it's too great to let go.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #73 of 145
I hesitate a lot between the fiio x3II or the fiio x5II .
Actually I am discovering this fantastic amp with the lo of a lotoo paw gold (I have an unit for a test)

Difficult choice .
I think I will choose the fiio x5. The size is bigger but I want to use the fiio without the amp too .

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #74 of 145

That's why I went from 846 to Angie.  I found the bass of the 846 somehow disconnected from the rest of the spectrum. The Angie is a top-to-bottom continuom whereas the 846's bass seems remote to me.
However, with my new DAP, I may have to relegate the RX to a general headphone amp for my computer, as I don't need it with this player.  But, it's too great to let go.

How was the Rx + Angie combo? Was the sound quality improved?

I was thinking about purchasing the Angie or upgrade the cable of the se846.

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #75 of 145
How was the Rx + Angie combo? Was the sound quality improved?

I was thinking about purchasing the Angie or upgrade the cable of the se846.

Rx or not I find the Angie much better than the SE846. Better detail, more PRaT, better treble extension, and the whole presentation sounds more balanced and cohesive. No Cable will get you close to the differences. Of course that's my take on it. YMMV.

The Rx pairs fantastic with the Angie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back