New ALO Rx - IEM only - Portable Amplifier Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 20, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #46 of 145
Maybe this'll help give you some ideas x RELIC x

36396-best_computer_backpack.jpg

That's along the lines, but I was thinking more of carbon fibre and titanium!! :D

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #47 of 145
Interesting fun fact. Before I hooked the DAC-19 to the Rx I asked Ken if it can handle the 2.5V from the DAC-19 RCA out. His reply was 'good to go' and I can confirm a clean signal with no distortion.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #51 of 145
Hi guys,

I'm thinking to get this sweet amp. I'm quite happy with my modded iBasso DX50 (4400 mAh battery, 256 GB storage etc.), but the noise floor is too bad with my senstive IEMs like my Harmony 8 Pro. I guess this paring would elemite all hiss to dead silent HO on the Rx right? How the battery life in real world? My modded DX50 (4400 mAh battery inside) runs @ 26 hours non-stop paired with an IEM, will the Rx reach this level too?

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #52 of 145
My reshelled ATH-IM03 hissed extremely loudly on low gain on a FiiO X5, but there is zero noise through the Alo Rx. I don't know exactly how long the battery lasts, since I usually don't use the amp/player for extended periods of time. However, I don't have problems with the battery unless I forget to charge it for many days.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #53 of 145
Hi guys,

I'm thinking to get this sweet amp. I'm quite happy with my modded iBasso DX50 (4400 mAh battery, 256 GB storage etc.), but the noise floor is too bad with my senstive IEMs like my Harmony 8 Pro. I guess this paring would elemite all hiss to dead silent HO on the Rx right? How the battery life in real world? My modded DX50 (4400 mAh battery inside) runs @ 26 hours non-stop paired with an IEM, will the Rx reach this level too?

Zero hiss with the JH Angie. Never ran out of juice on the Rx so I have no idea how long the battery lasts. I suspect it's more than 20 hours, but really have no clue.

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #55 of 145
Powered by Mr. Fusion!!

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #56 of 145
I'm thinking the Rx might be a nice little addition on the go. I mainly use an iPhone 6 as transport (entirely because I'm a Tidal convert, and it's just easy having the phone all the time).

Is anyone using the Rx with an iP and similar quality tracks?

In an effort to get back into the mini-amp groove, I just dug out my "old" (about a year!) portable Onkyo amp and also a little FiiO Mont Blanc. Interestingly, having tried them them both with a few different IEMs, and with the benefit of more experience of different gear, I feel that the iPhone was better with my best IEMs (Earsonics Velvet with upgraded Effect Audio cable) by itself, rather than with either little amp. They both added an exciting chunk of bass, but lost out elsewhere (detail, resolution, snap, vocal presence, upper mids). Both sounded pretty v-shaped, which I've trained myself out of).

Welcome your thoughts on whether the Rx would be a good addition in that context.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #57 of 145
I'm thinking the Rx might be a nice little addition on the go. I mainly use an iPhone 6 as transport (entirely because I'm a Tidal convert, and it's just easy having the phone all the time).

Is anyone using the Rx with an iP and similar quality tracks?

In an effort to get back into the mini-amp groove, I just dug out my "old" (about a year!) portable Onkyo amp and also a little FiiO Mont Blanc. Interestingly, having tried them them both with a few different IEMs, and with the benefit of more experience of different gear, I feel that the iPhone was better with my best IEMs (Earsonics Velvet with upgraded Effect Audio cable) by itself, rather than with either little amp. They both added an exciting chunk of bass, but lost out elsewhere (detail, resolution, snap, vocal presence, upper mids). Both sounded pretty v-shaped, which I've trained myself out of).

Welcome your thoughts on whether the Rx would be a good addition in that context.

The Rx has some great character with IEMs. Very transparent to the source with just the right amount of musicality. The trouble with the iPhone 6 is I don't think you can get a clean Line Out signal without using a lightning to 30pin adaptor. So you're either going to use the headphone out from the iPhone 6 and double amp, or your going to use an awkward cable setup with a cheap DAC implementation in the Lightning to 30pin adaptor.

The best input to the Rx is a clean Line Out signal. That said, the Rx trumps the Mont Blanc by a large margin with IEMs. The detail, resolution, snap, vocal presence, upper mids are all there on the Rx.

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #58 of 145
The Rx has some great character with IEMs. Very transparent to the source with just the right amount of musicality. The trouble with the iPhone 6 is I don't think you can get a clean Line Out signal without using a lightning to 30pin adaptor. So you're either going to use the headphone out from the iPhone 6 and double amp, or your going to use an awkward cable setup with a cheap DAC implementation in the Lightning to 30pin adaptor.

The best input to the Rx is a clean Line Out signal. That said, the Rx trumps the Mont Blanc by a large margin with IEMs. The detail, resolution, snap, vocal presence, upper mids are all there on the Rx.

Thanks Relic, that's extremely helpful.
I've got used to running my iP through a Hugo using the CCK method, and obviously it sounds great, so I'm looking at the ALO CDM as well (for that musicality that seems to be commonly associated with ALO's amps). But they're both a bit unwieldy on the move.

If I understand you correctly, the Rx would be better off with a DAP that has a proper Line Out. I have my eye on the new Onkyo DAP - need to check on that thread if it has a dedicated LO. (I own a modded AK120 but have avoided the 240 / 380 / Jr because of no Tidal).

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #59 of 145
Thanks Relic, that's extremely helpful.
I've got used to running my iP through a Hugo using the CCK method, and obviously it sounds great, so I'm looking at the ALO CDM as well (for that musicality that seems to be commonly associated with ALO's amps). But they're both a bit unwieldy on the move.

If I understand you correctly, the Rx would be better off with a DAP that has a proper Line Out. I have my eye on the new Onkyo DAP - need to check on that thread if it has a dedicated LO. (I own a modded AK120 but have avoided the 240 / 380 / Jr because of no Tidal).

Yes, it would be my recommendation to use the Rx with a proper line out for the best sound quality fed to it. The new Onkyo and Pioneer players both are slated to have line level output, but I don't know how clean they are (should be fine). You also may want to consider the Fiio X7 which also has line out, changeable amp modules, and will support Tidal and other streaming apps.

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #60 of 145
I've run in to what can only be near the end of the new Rx battery run time. Listening away and the orange LED starts blinking..... since it isn't favourable to let the battery run completely dry I hooked it up to the charger. I didn't time it but if I had to guess I would say somewhere just north of 20 hours playback time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back