New ALO Rx - IEM only - Portable Amplifier Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 28, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #107 of 145
Will be look forward on RX

Congrats. I've been on a couple of amp tours, and I'm proud to say that my Rx remains one of the best options for iems exclusively at this price range. No regrets!

May 14, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #109 of 145
So what is something like this all about? Is it just for critical listening? I use iem for my gym workouts, would that make this a waste of money? Im chasing a fun sound I can crank without getting fatiguing.

I'm not necessarily in the market for one, but it def got my interest since I'm using my iems 2 hrs a day. I have westone 3, also looking to pick up a dynamic driver iem soon, leaning toward rha t10 or t20.

May 14, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #110 of 145
Just go buy your rha and have your fun. Also, there's plenty of reviews to Google at.

May 14, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #111 of 145
So what is something like this all about? Is it just for critical listening? I use iem for my gym workouts, would that make this a waste of money? Im chasing a fun sound I can crank without getting fatiguing.

I'm not necessarily in the market for one, but it def got my interest since I'm using my iems 2 hrs a day. I have westone 3, also looking to pick up a dynamic driver iem soon, leaning toward rha t10 or t20.

Just re-read your post. Don't buy this if you don't know how to spend your money.

My severe bluntness aside. This adds to the audio experience (soundstage, volume gain control, etc.) A lot of things you've posted...well... You're better off buying a fun and durable iem. A 5$ monk earbud won't hurt either.

May 14, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #112 of 145
Just re-read your post. Don't buy this if you don't know how to spend your money.

My severe bluntness aside. This adds to the audio experience (soundstage, volume gain control, etc.) A lot of things you've posted...well... You're better off buying a fun and durable iem. A 5$ monk earbud won't hurt either.

I'm just not versed on headphone amps, my only experience was an audioengine D1, and I really had trouble picking up a lot of stuff reviewers were saying, so I'm just trying to see if this is more geared toward someone who's listening critically rather than for fun.

But maybe ur right, maybe I can't tell the difference between my $8k (just another example of not knowing how to spend my money) car sound system and $5 earbuds. Either way, thanks for the incredibly informative reply. My apologies in advance to anyone else who is bothered by someone coming to a head-if forum and trying to learn and ask questions about head-fi

May 14, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #113 of 145
No. It's very simple. We all leave ourselves vulnerable every now and then.

Your original post carries lots of baggage (read loaded statements). Even your last reply, is passive aggressive in nature. My simple nature tends to be dry.

Help yourself first. I personally wouldn't recommend this excellent product to you - it really depends what you actually need vs how you feel when you splurge. There's plenty of fun hi fi stuff all over this forum.

May 14, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #114 of 145
The Rx amp is perhaps a technical enhancer (powering low impedance iems) which provides a satisfying performance. I bought mine out of curiosity (well respected store owner spoke highly of them). I can say that added new depths of realism and musicality to my gear. It will add a wider stage with some daps or better layering in others.

Hope this helps.

May 14, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #115 of 145
My last post wasn't intended to be passive aggressive, it was meant to be straightforward aggressive. You must of read it with a much softer tone than what I wrote it with. I replied to u in the same manner I felt u replied to me. But u know what, that's all water under the bridge now, I do appreciate ur last two posts.

My first post was not intended as a loaded question, I value and respect all independent businesses putting out quality products and giving service which lets the customer know he is valued. I think we can all agree that alo audio hits on both points. If anything came off as a dig toward them, let me clarify I certainly didn't mean it like that.

Plus, tho it's not made in my home state California, it's still from the west coast, and I'm always happy and proud to buy stuff from my local area. :)

Anyway, it's just that in my reading of headphone amps and high end iems, I've noticed people always point out if they use it while commuting in public, which makes me think a lot of this stuff is geared for a more discerning environment as opposed to a gym where people are clanking weights and music is on their speakers. So I was trying to see if this product is suited for my situation, being that I want to get lost in the music rather than analyze the music.

Plus, as you mentioned daps, amps seem to also be dependent on source (I use iPod touch 4th gen) and iem, so I have been reading, but feel asking for my specific situation is a good idea since there are so many variables.

I admit my ignorance on headphone amps, I'm trying to change that. I know at a certain point I need to just buy one and experience it myself, but I wanna do a little more homework than I did when I picked up my audioengine dac/amp (not a dig at them, I just didn't read up properly, and later in reading found out it wasn't ideal for my situation)

Either way, thanks for the last two replies.

May 15, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #116 of 145
I'm relieved that you're the better man for helping me understand where you're coming from.

I'm more inclined in recommending gear that performs well in an outdoor setting - they ain't called portable for nothing.

Ken (the mastermind) was helpful enough to adjust the gain for me, so volume wise I have no shortage of headroom even when commuting via subway. That said, isolation will depend more on the iem or headphone. Ymmv. Good luck.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #119 of 145
Depends on what you're trying to achieve. For IEM, Rx can eliminate hiss, allow volume to bedtime-tuned, and definitely alters the sound signature.

For instance, I picked up the L&P L3 DAP. Despite being one of the EQ choices really suits my tastes, so when I listen to it I stack with Rx because it sounds noticeably better to me.

Or with Cayin N5, volume control can be limited with sensitive IEM in quiet environments. Rx can help with this and provides a different sound signature.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #120 of 145
Depends on what you're trying to achieve. For IEM, Rx can eliminate hiss, allow volume to bedtime-tuned, and definitely alters the sound signature.

For instance, I picked up the L&P L3 DAP. Despite being one of the EQ choices really suits my tastes, so when I listen to it I stack with Rx because it sounds noticeably better to me.

Or with Cayin N5, volume control can be limited with sensitive IEM in quiet environments. Rx can help with this and provides a different sound signature.

I definitely second this statement. I remember as to how the Rx can add (if not enhance) to the Shanling M2 DAP when paired with the strong hybrid iem like the flc8s. There's a sense of sweetness and smoothness to the upper mids and layering of different areas of the soundstage. I personally enjoyed the flc8s with the m2 dap as is, though the amp is a fun worthy addition to the chain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back