New album releases in 2010 - Update/discussion thread
Mar 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #76 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I do mean their latest album. Didn't check the album art before posting.

Heh, no problem. I personally thought that meant they had a different album art for another place in the world.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for this album...

jimivalleys.jpg

I had suspicions before I even listened to it that this would be a victim of the Loudness Wars. So I ran it through Audacity and compared the dynamics to "Bad Romance" and DCC's pressing of "Take It Easy."

It's definitely not as dynamic (far from it) as "Take It Easy," but fortunately it's not compressed to hell and back like "Bad Romance" is. Heck, with a pop song like that, you'd think the engineer would think "Hey, this song would really sound better if I gave the bass room to breathe." But no, instead he makes the song as loud as possible, and as a result, the entire song sounds suffocated with both ends lopped off.

But I digress, as I'm going through "Valleys of Neptune" right now, it doesn't sound overly compressed. The waveform tells otherwise of course, but it's not to the point that there's actual distortion in the music.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #79 of 202
I'm pretty stoked for the new Liars album Sisterworld that will release Tues. All their stuff so far has suited me. Betcha they swing more back to the creative side this time, after the more accessible s/t.

Booka Shade also recently announced a new album More which will release in May. One can download a song from their website. A few other well known electronic acts also have new '10 releases planned - Boards of Canada, Plaid, and has been mentioned Aphex Twin.

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #81 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty stoked for the new Liars album Sisterworld that will release Tues. All their stuff so far has suited me. Betcha they swing more back to the creative side this time, after the more accessible s/t.

I won't say too much about it but I took a listen to the whole album already and I'd say your suspicions are pretty on. It's driven and creative and a LOT of fun to listen to.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #82 of 202
Broken Bells. According to the reviews I have read, this should be really good. Anyone comments on it?

00+Broken+Bells+-+The+High+Road+-+2010.jpeg

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #83 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Broken Bells. According to the reviews I have read, this should be really good. Anyone comments on it?

00+Broken+Bells+-+The+High+Road+-+2010.jpeg

I listened to it on NPR last week and I was really impressed. I am probably going to pick it up within the next week or so, but there is a whole gamut of albums coming out in the next two weeks.

The new Frightened Rabbits album sounds fantastic (another great NPR full-stream), as well as the new Ted Leo album. Can't wait for the new She&Him in a few weeks, plus my already-preordered copy of Co&Ca "Year of the Black Rainbox" with 300+ pg novel lol.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #84 of 202
@smrtby123. Thanks for the information. Find it both interesting and relevant. And you are so right; there are so many good records to be released in the the next weeks.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #85 of 202
Picked up Plastic Beach, enjoying it so far.
It is definitely brickwalled. But the music itself is fantastic. Anyone have any clue how this happened? It sure sounded interesting.

malooaacb.jpg

that's direct from the CD into audacity.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #86 of 202
There's only 2 albums that have come out this year i have even listened to for any length of time, Deivos' Gospel of Maggots, and Serj Tankian's Symphonic Elect the Dead thing, both of which i've liked quite a bit.

Theres some other metal im checking out though, like Rotting Christ's Newest cd, and Borknagar's "Universal" are fairly promising as well

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #87 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xuster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't say too much about it

You want to say something now? After four run-through's, I think it's pretty darn good, kind of a cross between They Were Wrong and their last.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #88 of 202
i'm glad to hear you're liking it, virometal.
biggrin.gif

am i the only one who didn't like their self-titled third album?
it was such a huge come-down after drums not dead, that i nearly swore off the band.
frown.gif

but i will definitely check this one out...

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #89 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently streaming the new Gorillaz album, Plastic Beaches. So far I'm really enjoying it. Tempted to buy it on release, which I rarely do. Quite unlike their other two before. More of an avant-garde soundscape than a pop album, but it's still got plenty of groove sprinkled throughout to keep the feet tapping.

At the very least, the first half is good!

I have also been enjoying the latest Gorillaz album the last week or so. Sounds more blur/pop/Damon Albarn than I would expect. Brit-Hop maybe??

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #90 of 202
Just picked up Broken Bells "Broken Bells" and The White Stripes "Great White Northern Lights"

Broken Bells cool , very mellow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back