New album releases in 2010 - Update/discussion thread
Apr 14, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #136 of 202
Well the albums have all been posted but I've been enjoying Teen Dream-Beach House, Broken Bells-Broken Bells, and Volume Two-She & Him. My fave so far is definitely Broken Bells. I had high hopes for Volume Two, but IMO Volume One is a tad better. I'd never heard of Beach House and picked their new one up due to this thread. I'm glad I did too.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #137 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadhead12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the albums have all been posted but I've been enjoying Teen Dream-Beach House, Broken Bells-Broken Bells, and Volume Two-She & Him. My fave so far is definitely Broken Bells. I had high hopes for Volume Two, but IMO Volume One is a tad better. I'd never heard of Beach House and picked their new one up due to this thread. I'm glad I did too.

I have all of those. Beach House is good but you have to listen to it a few times. She and Him Vol 2 is really good for never listening to them before. Broken Bells just cool.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #138 of 202
51WZLUWYM%2BL._SS500_.jpg

GBH has a new album out. been listening to it the past few days. these guys still rock!!

also looking forward to the new Against Me! album coming in may

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #142 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadhead12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thought the same of Vol. II. Great album, but it is a little forgettable. It has fallen into the same category as some of the other great albums in the past year or two. They are amazing when I am in the mood, but it isn't a contender every time I play an album like some. Beach House was great, Broken Bells was fantastic as well. The new MGMT is really good too, I am surprised at all the negative press it is getting. It is way different from Oracular Spectacular but they did a great job with it.

Some great albums this year but nothing has blown me away like AC - MWPP. Maybe I am just too involved in the new stuff coming out.

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #143 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xuster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Unkle album "Where Did the Night Fall" is pretty sweet. Sounds different from his older stuff but the tracks are varied and all very fun. Highly recommend it.

Gah, I need to peruse that.

--

A little bumpity bump with the info that Crystal Castles II by ahem Crystal Castles has been legal for download - iTunes, Amazon, etc - since last Friday. It's more smoothed out than one, and I beginning to think it's just as enjoyable. I've played it out already.

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #144 of 202
GZA's releasing Liquid Swords 2 this year. Hope it is good.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #145 of 202
I know there are a handful of Booka Shade followers on Head-Fi. Just in case, More! drops 5/4:

51QOCpEc-DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Like some others, I thought The Sun & the Neon Light was very spotty. Hopefully the duo can return to the killer consistency of Memento and Movements.

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #146 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xuster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Unkle album "Where Did the Night Fall" is pretty sweet. Sounds different from his older stuff but the tracks are varied and all very fun. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #147 of 202
51xe6bSKD8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got Hole "nobody's daughter. It's OK. But, the music is recorded well.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #148 of 202
Just got my hands on Peter Gabriel's new "Scratch My Back"

Been listening to it through some Desktop speakers and can't wait to get home and take out the DT990's... Lots of instrumentals and Peter's chracteristic scratchy voice, all very mellow. I'm really liking it.

41HzbPPad1L_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Taken from Peter Gabriel | Home :
Quote:

If you have not yet experienced 'Scratch My Back', you can get a taste of the album in Peter's introductory podcast series. You may have seen the now finalised track-listing and running-order we published in the 'news' section - if so, it will be no surprise to read that the album will feature Peter's recordings of Heroes (David Bowie), The Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon), Mirrorball (Elbow), Flume (Bon Iver), Listening Wind (Talking Heads), The Power of the Heart (Lou Reed), My Body is a Cage (Arcade Fire), The Book of Love (The Magnetic Fields), I Think it's Going to Rain Today (Randy Newman), Après Moi (Regina Spektor), Philadelphia (Neil Young) and Street Spirit (Fade Out) (Radiohead).

Peter describes this as a very personal record with the twelve songs performed only with orchestral instruments and voice. To help craft the recording Peter enlisted John Metcalfe as arranger, the expertise of producer Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd's 'The Wall', Lou Reed's 'Berlin') and the engineer, mixer and producer Tchad Blake (Suzanne Vega, Sheryl Crow, Tom Waits) and was also supported by his long time sound engineer Richard "Dickie" Chappell.

Enjoy
beyersmile.png

May 1, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #149 of 202
Never really got on with Scratch My Back. If you take the songs individually only one or two are actually quite good, one or two just ok, and some are quite disappointing. I think Radiohead dismissed it completely (iirc) and if I were them I'd feel the same way. No wonder "I'll Scratch Yours" wont be out for ages, most of the artists probably don't want to do it. lol.

As PG albums go this one is pretty poor IMO. Good concept but he set himself up with too much of a task if you ask me.

May 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #150 of 202
I think the Radiohead song is terrible (I've never heard the original so I don't know if it's a bad song or if PG ruined it) but almost all of the other songs I really like. One of my most-listened to albums of the year so far. It does have a certain uniformity/consistency to it, so if you don't like that particular sound, I'm sure you'll find the album tedious. But I love it! I'm going to see him tomorrow night at Radio City...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back