New album from Buckethead
May 4, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #16 of 36
Buckethead is a genoius of guitar, understand it or not.

May 4, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buckethead is too hit-and-miss to be really considered a great musician in my opinion. He is certainly a very good player, though. Unfortunately a lot of the attention he gets seem to be because of his illness. So how is the album?

If you have to ask at this point., dismiss it.

May 4, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buckethead is a genoius of guitar, understand it or not.

And let's not forget a genius of composition!

Quote:

Buckethead is too hit-and-miss to be really considered a great musician in my opinion. He is certainly a very good player, though. Unfortunately a lot of the attention he gets seem to be because of his illness. So how is the album?

What is this illness you speak of?

The album is excellent.

May 4, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #19 of 36
Have you seen him give lessons? I believe he is autistic (but I am not an expert, so I cant say for sure). He wont look at the camera, will only talk through a hand puppet and only seems focused when playing the guitar. He will also never show his face. Also thx, will give the album a look.
Although I don't like many of his albums/songs, I have to say he is nothing short of inspiring given what seems to be an obvious handicap.

May 4, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Have you seen him give lessons? I believe he is autistic (but I am not an expert, so I cant say for sure). He wont look at the camera, will only talk through a hand puppet and only seems focused when playing the guitar. He will also never show his face. Also thx, will give the album a look.
Although I don't like many of his albums/songs, I have to say he is nothing short of inspiring given what seems to be an obvious handicap.

LOL - autistic - I think you need a bit more information or listening before solidifying your opinion. Yeah, he's a weirdo, but it's part of his thing he does for whatever reason. Underneath the mask he's pretty down to earth. But he has mucho talent. The hit and miss I think you speak of is because his music is creative and not the typical redundant stuff you usually get.

May 7, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mate it's just an act, a character he's invented, a wierd one yes but he's not autistic.

Here's an interview with Buckethead, out of character;

http://qfg.info/misc/destroyallmonsters.txt

He showed his face when he was younger, search youtube for "classx demo" for some unmasked Buckethead.

Awesome read!

May 7, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hit and miss I think you speak of is because his music is creative and not the typical redundant stuff you usually get.

Nope, he's a hit and miss because he releases way too many albums and if he decreased the quantity he would have increased his album's quality. That's why it's often frustrating to listen to his music cause you need to dig through the filler to get the gems.

May 11, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #24 of 36
^ Just because you may find some tracks as 'filler' doesn't mean that it is mate. A lot of people really appreciate his crazy stuff. Robm321 speaks the truth.

Anyway, I'll save you the trouble and tell you that the latest album is definately not filler. Go get it
wink.gif

edit: lets say that 60% of what he releases is quality and 40% is 'filler'. Out of 100 albums total, that leaves 60 albums worth of songs that are quality, far far more than most artists can ever hope to release. I think this qualifies him as a relevant musician.

May 11, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #25 of 36
Yep, I feel like Cuckoo Clocks of Hell and Island of Lost Minds are two pretty crap releases. I probably could've done without Inbred Mountain as well. Some of his work is absolute brilliance though. Check out some of his live sets and you'll get a small taste of some gems of his. May I suggest... Sound quality is awesome. What I do to download all the FLACs is configure FlashGot to only recognize .flac files and then click on the "All files (HTTP)" link then right click-->flashgot all.

May 11, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I feel like Cuckoo Clocks of Hell and Island of Lost Minds are two pretty crap releases. I probably could've done without Inbred Mountain as well. Some of his work is absolute brilliance though. Check out some of his live sets and you'll get a small taste of some gems of his. May I suggest... Sound quality is awesome. What I do to download all the FLACs is configure FlashGot to only recognize .flac files and then click on the "All files (HTTP)" link then right click-->flashgot all.

While I'm inclined to agree with you, I know of quite a few people that list those as their favorites.

BTW thanks for the tip re: FlashGot.

May 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 36
Going out on a limb a little, but it seems a lot of you are "next-gen Bucketbots"? I've been into Bman for a decade now....have you all checked out his earlier stuff: Colma, Bucketheadland, Giant Robot [NTT], Monsters & Robots, etc??

May 11, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going out on a limb a little, but it seems a lot of you are "next-gen Bucketbots"? I've been into Bman for a decade now....have you all checked out his earlier stuff: Colma, Bucketheadland, Giant Robot [NTT], Monsters & Robots, etc??

Excellent albums. Colma is definitely my favorite album Buckethead has ever put out; but I think this new one might be second place from what I've heard. That said I have only listened through about 8 or so of his CDs.

Definitely recommend Monsters & Robots too, it's a classic.

May 11, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, he's a hit and miss because he releases way too many albums and if he decreased the quantity he would have increased his album's quality. That's why it's often frustrating to listen to his music cause you need to dig through the filler to get the gems.

So, by that logic, Vivaldi would have been a great composer if he didn't write so much music???? Guess what - he was a great composer.

Ever heard that the more you practice something the better you get at it? Bach was one of the hardest working composers and the quantity and quality were both there together.

Tiger Woods plays way to much golf.

Michael Jordan practiced too much. If he would have practiced less, he would have taken more quality shots
confused_face_2.gif

Just trying to understand your logic in another context... doesn't work there either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back