New album from Buckethead
Apr 28, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decoding The Tombs of Bansheebot was the only album I really liked. Do any of his new ones sound like it?

Albino Slug is quite similar, but not quite as consistently good. You should check out Population Override if you haven't, it's easily his best album.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Albino Slug is quite similar, but not quite as consistently good. You should check out Population Override if you haven't, it's easily his best album.

That and Island of Lost Minds for something more intense, possibly headache inducing.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decoding The Tombs of Bansheebot was the only album I really liked. Do any of his new ones sound like it?

One of my all time faves. All of his most recent albums sound similar to DTTB, it's the Bucket/Dan Monti combo.

Inbred Mountain
The Elephant Man's alarm clock
Crime Slunk Scene
Peppers Ghost
Decoding the Tombs of Bansheebot
Albino Slug
Slaughterhouse on the Prarie
A Real Diamond in the Rough

^Those albums are at the same time very similar but quite different. I especially recommend 'Peppers Ghost' if you like DTTB, it's the most similar imho and every bit as good.

btw, Teraflame, what other Bucket albums have you heard?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should check out Population Override if you haven't, it's easily his best album.

Have you heard the Thanatopsis albums? For me they're even better than Population Override, especially 'Axiology'.

May 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 36
WOW! This album is soo damn good! Big B is maturing and it shows on this record. I will also say that the engineering and mixing is excellent. You must get this if you are a Big B fan, it truly is a diamond in the rough.

May 3, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 36
It's a very mellow album. A lot of the songs are very "Dawn at the Duece" like. But it's really well engineered and mixed by Dan Monti. No shredding or long solo's, just very nice mix of drum tracks, bass and guitar. Foot tapping stuff. The first song "Broken Mirror" is just so good. There are some real gems on this Album.

Here is Broken Mirror.

YouTube - Buckethead-Broken Mirror-A Real Diamond in the Rough

May 3, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 36
^Exactly what I thought, "Dawn at the Deuce" style. I got a chance to listen to the CD. It sounds excellent through my SR225. Better mastering than other Buckethead albums for sure.

EDIT: His Thanatopsis albums are amazing (some of his consistently best guitar work I thought) but I really prefer this album. Have yall heard the Praxis Live in Tennessee 2004 album? Really cool early versions of Buckethead's popular songs.

EDIT2: What is that deep, loud guitar (sounds like bass being played with a pick or something)? I noticed it in A Broken Mirror and Seperate Sky so far.

May 3, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 36
I love Bucketheads sound ... make sure you all see that dvd "young buckethead" I think it's called ... very candid footage from long time ago when he was coming up and all ...
I love the stuff he did with Bootsy Collins .........

May 3, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 36
I have "Secret Recipe" but not "Young Buckethead". I'll pick it up.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, it's dedicated to his legal representative Stan Diamond. And Return of Captain EO is about a Disney Film starring Michael Jackson.

I think that Big D's Touch is dedicated to Big D, who I think is Buckethead's.... Publicist? I can remember.

EDIT2: She's the tall, strange-dressing lady who hands Buckethead his nunchucks in the Bill Laswell Soundstage performance.

May 4, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #14 of 36
Wow I've never heard love song penned by Bucket, but listening to track 2 leads me to believe he's a master of yet another genre. I'll bet Big D gave him special attention upon receiving that one!

This album is downright awesome, how he manages to keep sounding fresh album after album blows my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that Big D's Touch is dedicated to Big D, who I think is Buckethead's.... Publicist? I can remember.

EDIT2: She's the tall, strange-dressing lady who hands Buckethead his nunchucks in the Bill Laswell Soundstage performance.

She's his girlfriend or wife, not sure which.

Here she is: http://people.tribe.net/bigd/photos?page=1

May 4, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 36
Buckethead is too hit-and-miss to be really considered a great musician in my opinion. He is certainly a very good player, though. Unfortunately a lot of the attention he gets seem to be because of his illness. So how is the album?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back