New AKG K240s no bass? Help :(
Sep 29, 2010 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SubtleArt

New Head-Fier
I got my new headphones (AKG K240 MkII) 2 days ago and obviously started listening to tons of music on my ipod. The only previous headphones I owned were $10 sony earbuds. The comfort on the headphones was outstanding, and so was the quality. I actually had a bass for once!

Now, the problem. Today, there was almost no bass on the headphones. I listened to the same songs to try and compare, and the bass was almost non existent. I had to strain to hear it. I even played some of my Eminem songs (the only rap songs I listen to) that are supposed to have a massive, thumping bass and it was still relatively weak, not that much more noticeable than the earbuds.

Weird thing is the other ranges still sound great, as does the separation. Its just the lower end of the spectrum that feels really recessive compared to what it was 2 days ago. I'm not a basshead by any means, but I still enjoy a nice bass on rock songs. 

I haven't dropped the headphones or damaged the cables or gotten them wet. One thing is yesterday I used them for gaming the first time, and plugged them into my speakers. There was a lot of static coming from the game at various points. Might this have something to do with it? Also is there any kind of store to take them to and determine if theres actually anything wrong (or if its just me adjusting to the sound signature or something to do with burn in)?

I got these from Amazon and they have a 2 year warranty so at worst I can spend $30 to send them in to replace, but I'd rather not do that unless theres actually something wrong (otherwise I'd have to wait a while longer and it's kinda mean to the company)

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 10
They seem to have a midbass peak and are roll-off below that peak. I could imagine that's a problem with tracks with deep bass - much less so with rock / metal songs.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I suggest keeping the headphones playing music at a loud but tolerable volume to see if the problem corrects itself. And try keeping your ipod charged. 

I've tried both, and I'm playing them overnight and throughout the school day. I'll check after.

Quote:
Do they had bass when you first got them? From what i know, they are not bass heavy. 

they're not bass-head or hip hop headphones by any means but when I first got the them bass and the lower ranges of the spectrum in general were totally fine. They were clearly noticeable and blended in really well with the songs (I listen to rock), but now it's almost non existent.

Is there any store I can send these to check btw?

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 10
I like the idea of keeping your iPod at full charge, that should help if there's a power problem.

One other think I can think of, but you'vre probably already accidentally checked this is, try jiggling the connection between the headphones and the iPod.  Might have something to do with it.

Is there any other source you can try to see if it's a headphone problem?  CD player?  PC?  Etc.

Oh, one other thing, there are EQ settings on the iPod.  Could you have accidentally changed that?

I have an ulterior motive in reading/posting in this thread.  :)  I have K601's and K701's at the moment, and they really don't have much bass IMO.  According to the graphs on headphone.com, the K240 Mk II's should be better in that regard:

??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back