New AKG headphones K175, K245, K275
Nov 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #46 of 323
I'm going to try some angled pads to see if it makes any improvement.
From my own experience, I never noticed any "improvement" on any headphone using any aftermarket pads... Quite the opposite, in fact.

You can get better confort or better seal for sure. But IMHO, the sound signature, that some engineers took months to create, will simply suffer by changing the pads.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #47 of 323
Amazing. Accurate info on Head-Fi. Never ever replace the pads with aftermarket pads without expecting major sound changes, and almost always for the worse.

Sounds to me like they haven't fixed the seal issues many people experienced with the K550 and are using a similar pad design for the 275.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #48 of 323
From my own experience, I never noticed any "improvement" on any headphone using any aftermarket pads... Quite the opposite, in fact.

You can get better confort or better seal for sure. But IMHO, the sound signature, that some engineers took months to create, will simply suffer by changing the pads.

Honestly outside some vintage headphones and/or modding to factor in the pad change, pad rolling hasn’t worked in my experience either. My personal advice is don’t expect an improvement with different pads unless you’re willing to mod the headphone to match the new pads and this can take trail and error.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #49 of 323

I think it will be win/win if, by changing pads, I can change the sound signature to dampen the piercing highs a bit and increase the comfort of wearing the k245. I probably won't get them to sound exactly like my CFA Cascades (my current preferred sound), but can't hurt to try.

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #50 of 323
Partial agreement, I've found that changing the material and size/shape of the war home drastically will be negative. I used the dekoni fenestrated sheepskin TH900 pads on my HE500 and found only a marginal change that was actually for the better . Same pads on my TH600 also had good results, but that's partially due to design similarity .

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #51 of 323

The only time rolling pads is going to , perhaps, help the sound, is if the product comes with them, (2 sets) as in this regard, the engineers have already worked on the issue.
Other then that, buying pads to make your Cans sound better, is a shot in the dark + shipping fees.
And if you have headphones that require you to insert pads to make them sound better, or get more bass, then you are being led down a money path to nowhere.
Different, regarding all this altering of the body of your Cans, is not better.
Different is just different, disguised as better, or improved.
Just because you choked out the upper freq, or impaired the bass response, with some barrier..........= you have not made anything better..... except perhaps your feelings about your overpriced headphones.
The fact is.....You have only made it different then the factory originally designed it to exits and perform.
They could have also done this, but they didnt because they dont think its better.

Change pads....... because you hate the way your pads feel, but do expect some changes in the sound of your headphones if you do.
Nothing is perfect....ever.
Where this goes crazy is when you find pads you like, but they subtract from your Cans sonics in a way you dont like.
So, this tradeoff, can be very frustrating.

And for those of you who do not play acoustic guitar or electric, let me share with you something that is similar to what we are discussing here, regarding making customizations to specific parts of your Acoustic.
On an acoustic, the string are stretched by tuners that bring them up to 440 pitch, so that the guitar can function according to a certain math-matical criteria for making chords using strings, frets, and scale length.
The strings themselves are a scale length, usually 25.0, up to 25.6 (inches). with the string tension increasing, the longer the scale length.
So, a person gets a guitar and they want it to play easier......
Its always like this.
So, this is basically accomplished by lowering the string height, per string, in relation to the fretboard, as this is termed lowering the '"Action" of the guitar string(s).
The Action of the guitar strings, is in general, the way it feels when you press the strings against the frets, making chords, but can be also the way single strings feel when you are playing "lead".
So, the general rule to understand this is...."if its really hard to play chords" then the action is too high......or if there is a lot of buzzing of the strings on the frets, this is normally an indication that the action is too "soft" = the strings are too low over the fretboard and their vibration when being played is literally bouncing them off certain frets they are touching, and this is normally the very 1st fret next to the "guitar's nut"..
The "Nut" is the white piece with slots that sits between the end of the fretboard and the beginning of the headstock.
At the other end of the guitar, sitting on the body, below the soundhole, is the black wooden piece which is the bridge, and the white piece that sits in the bridge that supports the strings is called the "saddle".
Strings sit on the nut and the saddle.
So, you have the nut and the saddle, that holds the strings, and makes the scale length.
Got all that?

So, now, the problem is, the guitar is hard to play.......so what to do? Well, we need to lower the strings........and this happens in 3 ways..
First, we determine the optimum height for the biggest (Low E) string regarding its distance from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of this string. And we need it to be 3/32nd, or about 3.5mm.
So, we lower the strings first of all by sanding the bottom of the saddle, and check, and sand, and check, and sand, and finally we get it down, at the 12th fret, that Low E, to 3/32nds or about 3.5mm.
Then, we notice the nut slots are holding the strings too high, so, we take "nut files" or "nut saws" and we deal with each till all strings are lowered comfortably and equally, but not so low as to cause buzzing on the 1st fret.
Now did you notice the order?....... We do the saddle first, then the nut, as if you do this backwards, you'll ruin everything........so dont do that, if you are going to take your guitar and give it a try.
Finally, the neck on a guitar can be (adjusted) bowed, kept straight, or back bowed......
Bowed = a slight V in the center of the neck that tapers away from the strings.
Back Bowed, is a backward V'ing of the neck, that tapers the center of the neck towards the strings.
"Back Bowing" is wrong, you never do it, and if you do, its because the neck needs to be reset, as its lost its correct angle that lets the guitar play as it should..
I personally only use a very straight neck set up, as i have a soft touch, and i use very light gauge strings.
If you, or if the person playing the acoustic really beats on the strings with a Flat Pick, then they need larger strings, and a higher action, as to play really forcefully with a "plectrum" as you see performed in Bluegrass or Gypsy Jazz, causes the strings to super vibrate and if the action is not set up higher to accommodate this technique, then the strings will buzz like mad against many frets.

Now here is the issue.
The issue is...... Changing the action, changing the height of the strings, lowers the strings, makes the guitar easier to play...... but...... lowers also the TENSiON of the strings, as they pull against the top.
Keep in mind that a guitar's body is a speaker box, and energy transmits from strings to saddle, through bridge, into the box, and the box reacts to this energy its being given by providing sound. This sound is controlled by application.
Application of your fingers or pick against the strings, and application of using your fingers to create chords shapes on the fretboard.
So what is the problem?
The problem is, lowering the action, softens the string<> top tension, and the less tension being performed by the strings against the top lowers the volume and softens the tone.
So, its a trade off..
If you want the guitar to sound its best, then you have higher action, which creates more "top tension", and you get a louder more powerful sound, as the guitar is being "maxxed out".
But, its hard to play.
So, you lower the action, and it plays better, easier, YET< you notice you have lost some tone, punch, power, articulation, when you do it.
So, just like your headphones, can feel better if you get better pads, you will lose something in translation regarding the sonics.......so it is with your guitar......as you get it to play easier, you also lose some sound quality when you do.

So, just like most things in life.
You have a trade off, as nothing is perfect.....ever.
You accomplish one thing, to lose something else, and you can never have it all.
WISDOM, is being able to discern in all this, = what is the best result you should pursue based on the compromise you have to make to achieve it.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #52 of 323
I think there were some major production issues with these as I just received mine after a year back order. quite pleased with the sound and build quality, pretty good soundstage for a closed back and remind me of a touch darker k553. the 553 might have more sub bass but overall these are fairly balanced and should be a real winner in the $175 price bracket considering their size. i've seen a few people asking about them compared to the 712s and the 712s are a open back "studio" headphone mean for home use only and nothing else. They both follow AKGs sound goals and the 275s are quite good but the 712s are VERY comfortable and have a very natural presence that are worth the cost delta.

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #53 of 323
I think there were some major production issues with these as I just received mine after a year back order. quite pleased with the sound and build quality, pretty good soundstage for a closed back and remind me of a touch darker k553. the 553 might have more sub bass but overall these are fairly balanced and should be a real winner in the $175 price bracket considering their size. i've seen a few people asking about them compared to the 712s and the 712s are a open back "studio" headphone mean for home use only and nothing else. They both follow AKGs sound goals and the 275s are quite good but the 712s are VERY comfortable and have a very natural presence that are worth the cost delta.

I'm supremely jealous of your AKG collection, I wish I could find the K812 at a price I liked. Anyhow, I thought that the K7XX and K712 Anny were identical with only slightly different pads? If so which version of K712 do you have? Also, if the K7XX and K712 are as close as i thought then the price different between the K7XX and 275 is only $25

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #54 of 323
I'm supremely jealous of your AKG collection, I wish I could find the K812 at a price I liked. Anyhow, I thought that the K7XX and K712 Anny were identical with only slightly different pads? If so which version of K712 do you have? Also, if the K7XX and K712 are as close as i thought then the price different between the K7XX and 275 is only $25

The 7XX & 712 are not identical, the Anny (aka 702 anniversary edition) is different too. the 7XX is a darker sound signature than the 712 and a I prefer the 712, but considering in the US there is a large price difference between the two, it almost never makes sense to buy a 712 unless you can get one for a deal/used.

The 7xx & 712 are better than the 275, but they are not foldable, or closed back headphones. so although some of the price difference is for sound quality, a big part of it is just they have different use cases.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #56 of 323
I didn’t even know these existed. I’m very curious about the K245 as well as the K275.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #58 of 323
I’ve got the k275 on pre order from Sweetwater. They have no firm date from AKG/HARMON/SAMSUNG as to when they’ll arrive. I’m giving them till February.
-
I got mine from American Musical Supply about a month ago.
Keep your eye on their site, as they might get them in earlier then SW.
They are a nice inexpensive set of closed headphones.
You'll like them.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #59 of 323
20190215_161913_HDR-1.jpg

Just got a pair of the K245s off eBay for a very reasonable price. First impressions are very good. Compared to my other Open-backs, my Sony MA900s and Koss KSC75s, these may be my favorite.

Better bass than the KSC75s and better resolution than the MA900s. Plus, they are easily the best looking of the group.

Some songs I've listened to that put a smile on my face are:

Old Man - Neil Young
Pacific Coast Highway- Kavinsky
Anonymous Skulls - Medeski, Martin & Wood
Longview - Green Day
Forever People - Czarface, MF DOOM
Better Than - Lake Street Dive
Fearless - Pink Floyd
Seeya - deadmau5
Eye In The Sky - The Alan Parsons Project
Return Of The Mack - Mark Morrison (just kidding)

For an Open-back they do offer some decent isolation. They may be closer to their predecessors, the semi-open K240s, in that sense.

If anyone is interested I can write a proper review after the honeymoon faze is over. If anyone has heard these or compared them to the K240s, let me know!

Edit: These are heavy. Not uncomfortably, like my KEF Space Ones, but at 295 grams these are 100 grams more than the MA900s. The self adjusting headband does a great job evenly distributing the weight. The 5 meter coiled cable has a ton of weight to it too. Great build though.

Sound stage is very good. Listening to Jonathan Richman's Egyptian Reggae (Live) is a joy on these.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #60 of 323

Just got a pair of the K245s off eBay for a very reasonable price. First impressions are very good. Compared to my other Open-backs, my Sony MA900s and Koss KSC75s, these may be my favorite.

Better bass than the KSC75s and better resolution than the MA900s. Plus, they are easily the best looking of the group.

And the K275s are even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back