New AKG headphones K175, K245, K275
Nov 23, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #33 of 323
Ha, I cancelled my preorder from another site months ago, thinking the k275 was vapourware. I guess I'll try again. I'm doubting these will sound better than the HD25's I plan to swap with these, but I'm hoping that the k275's over-ear design will be more comfortable that the HD25's for prolonged monitoring.

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #34 of 323
I had planned on talking more about the AKG K275's on Friday, 11/23/2018, but, after using them for hours yesterday, i feel that i can offer a fairly bulletproof opinion of them, if you are thinking about making a purchase.

Soundwise, "Crisp, Balanced, and Pristine".
They have more bass response then the Aeon Flow C, but they dont have the Aeon C's warmth.
What they do have is a quality sound that is worth more then their cost, of this im certain.
I vote that they are more akin to the HifiMann house sound, such as the "Sundara", then the Senn HD 660 or similar.
They have substantial clarity, very articulate instrument separation, and as i said yesterday, an impressive soundstage.
They play well with most genres`, but dont offer skull rattling thump if you need it provided = according to the music that is created to rattle you with bass response.
This is an articulate and clear type of bass response.
And example.....If you have the Steely Dan "Aja" album, then you know that the recorded bass on this album is not "in your face", and in fact, many headphones cant seem to find it at all...but not so with these AKGS, as they let you hear the bass.
Same as with something like the bass response on PF's "The Wall"....... and in the same way, you are presented with nice bass clarity when using these AKGs, but, they really are not going to deliver THUMP...
If you buy them, and use them for a while, you'll think...>"these sound good for less then $200".

So, what is their true downside?
Could use more warmth and a touch more bass response, but, only a touch, as they have a finely tuned and balanced sound.
Also, ...... their pads are just not what should be on a headphone like these. They deserve better, and unfortunately they are not really good quality pads.
The remind me of the material you find on $100 Sony's.
The comfort is fine, but the quality is lacking.
You can take these pads off, so maybe there is a easy solution, or maybe AKG/Samsung will offer an upgrade.

Happy listening......:)
Could you please tell me more about isolation, seal and sound leak?

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #35 of 323
Could you please tell me more about isolation, seal and sound leak?

Isolation and comfort are above average.
Sound leak is not a prob, tho i can't speak to any experience using them out of doors, in a taxi, on a bus, in a gym, etc.
These are made to use at home.
Seal is average, as the ear cups are the weak link in their chain.
They seal ok, feel ok, but, because the price of this set of headphones belies their sound, i think that AKG has a real winner on their hands and they should have created nice pads for this product.
Ive been listening to these headphones for some days now, and the sub-average pads are the only thing about them not to love, ... especially at this price.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #37 of 323
i wonder how they would compare to the akg k712 pro, im looking for a mobile version of it ...

Open headphones and closed headphones, can't realistically be compared, as each is a totally different design, in principle.
Its like comparing a unicycle and a bicycle.
You ride them both, but they are not the same design.
Its like comparing a car with a truck.
You ride them both, but they are not the same design.
What i can tell you, in general, is that the K712 is warmer and has a different type bass response, in that its looser and more round and more dominating
The K275's bass is more balanced within the other frequencies.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #39 of 323
So is the driver the same as the K550/553?
Hard to know... I find that AKG communicates so badly about their products... I don't think anybody could get the answer (from them, at least)
I asked them recently what BT Codec are supported by their new wireless flagship (N700NC)... Still waiting for the answer. As well as the EU availability for the K275. Nobody at AKG France is able to answer me.

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #40 of 323

Is it more important to you to find out if the drivers or different, or if the K553 Mk II sounds better then the AKG 275?

If you are more interested in which sounds the best, then i should be able to help you find out, in a day or 2, as i have the K553MKII arriving today, and i'll be listening and comparing it to the AKG275.

However, at this point in time, I dont think the K553 or the MKII is going to sound better then the AKG275........ just very similar with hopefully better pads.
As this headphone is really very good., and its so inexpensive.
I've now used the K275 for over a week, and when i get tired of wearing it, i'll strap on the Audeze X and after a while i go back to the K275, and not once have i found myself thinking...."hand me back the Audeze X".
And this is not because the A-X is not incredibly great sounding, and does offer an overall finer sound then the K275, but, we have to realize that a closed can can't compete with a GREAT open headphone like an Audeze-X, so, taking that into consideration, and also the fact that the AKG product costs at least $1200 LESS then the Audeze X........ i have come to really admire this little closed wonder.
I dont like the pads, but, there is nothing about the sound that i can complain about even if it cost 2x as much.
And ,... i have always found that i get extreme ear-hearing fatigue when i use closed cans, and have never found a set that i can use, at a volume that allows them to sound their best, that does not fatigue my hearing.
Except for this one.
I dont play my music really loud thru my headphones, and this headphone, the AKG275, allows for a very comfy volume and very good sound (IMHO) at a fairly low volume, whereas many headphones only sound their best if you are playing them, in my opinion, a bit too loud.
Something else that i really like about the K275, is that this set of headphones has enough resistance which allows you to use it with everything, vs, some headphones that dont have enough resistance and a power amp cant be used with them effectively, as even its very lowest volume setting is WAY too loud with some low resistance headphones.
Not so with these.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #41 of 323
Isolation and comfort are above average.
Sound leak is not a prob, tho i can't speak to any experience using them out of doors, in a taxi, on a bus, in a gym, etc.
These are made to use at home.
Seal is average, as the ear cups are the weak link in their chain.
They seal ok, feel ok, but, because the price of this set of headphones belies their sound, i think that AKG has a real winner on their hands and they should have created nice pads for this product.
Ive been listening to these headphones for some days now, and the sub-average pads are the only thing about them not to love, ... especially at this price.

I wonder if any Dekoni pads would fit these?

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #42 of 323
I wonder if any Dekoni pads would fit these?

Ive certainly bullseye'd the pads as the weak link regarding these headphones, and it is.
But, reader, if you buy the AKG275 you are not going to run screaming from the room once you put them on.
They are not horrible pads, they are just less then desirable, and this can be understood and forgiven, considering the price of these headphones.
Pads like you find on Fidelio's would be great on these, but of course, a bit too deep.
I'd take cloth, fuzzy, anything but pleather on these, as these dont have quite enough "stuffing" inside the pads.
They are of course miles better then Audeze Sine Pads, which might hold the record for "worst of all time", or at least they are in that category...........:)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #43 of 323

Ok, im all finished with the K553 v.2

Took about 50 seconds of listening to them for me hate their sound.
They have the typical AKG closed can sound, .. way too much top end, and sound digital.
I have the same experience with most BeyerDynamics...... there is just too much top end, and a sort of queer and unrealistic tone, overall.
So, i can't speak about the K275 drivers being the same, but i can tell you that :

A:) The Headband of the K275 is the floating type that self adjusts and is really good, vs the K553-II which has a headband that does not self adjust and the cups do not seat squarely on your head. = Fail.

B. ) The K275s are a much better sounding headphone for less money. They are more accurate, they are more comfortable, and they are more fun.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #45 of 323
Well, I've listened to the K275's for about 4 hours now (walking around, subway, in front of a computer). I think I'd need to eq (down the treble / up the bass) a bit or change the pads to something that seals better if I were to use these for everyday music. It seems to me that the poor seal the pads provide lessens the bass response. I'm going to try some angled pads to see if it makes any improvement.
edit :
1. The K275 will work as is more than well enough for monitoring live audio recordings where I'm not trying to feel the bass so much as know it's there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back