New AKG 81DJ !
Jul 27, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K81s are not too efficient, so it would probably not be a good choice for your cellphone. It will still be good, but not "great". Try the Portapros or the PX100 instead, but the K81s are still a good choice.

This to me would be critical. The AKGs you own (I own the JBL version) are very efficient. I also prefer them to the Sennheiser PX100s, which I own as well. I don't have the AKG K81s, but if Meloncoly is right about their lack of efficiency, I can't imagine they'd be a good match for a cell phone, at least not without an amp, which makes them less portable.

Jul 28, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #33 of 37
The K81DJ are efficient. I'm not sure why someone is stating that they aren't. They are not as efficient as the K26P, but they are still efficient. The amp will just help tighten up the K81DJ a bit.

Looking at the specs K81DJ is 32ohm, 116db/V. K26P is 32ohm, 125db/V. Any DAP can drive the K81DJ adequately. I can drive my K81DJ out of my el cheapo DAP easily.

You said you can drive your RS-2 easily. I didn't recall this at first, but upon looking back you can. The RS-2 is at 96db/V and 32ohm.

The K81DJ will be absolutely fine.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #35 of 37
Waiting for my K518dj arrive, it's already shipped and come about 1-2 weeks...i can't hardly wait !!! too bad they (the distro @ my country) dont sell K81dj anymore, both re' the same aren't they ?!
tongue.gif
...even now they stock K412p/K414p to replacing K24p/K26p...
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the K81s without the foams, makes everything more crisp. Another mod you should try out is the blutak mod, which means buying some adhesive putty and sticking it to the cups on the headphones. Makes the bass less muddy and cleans the sound up. Bass is more defined, but quantity is not sacrificed, so it's still great to listen to. If you plan on recabling, a good cheap choice would be some SPC (Silver Plated Copper) cable; it does wonders for the K81s.

Sorry to dig up an ancient thread, but my cable has just gone on my K81s, and i'm going crazy without any decent headphones!

Does anyone have a guide for recabling headphones? Esp with ref to these, but having taken them apart, they look like a simple 2 solder points on each cup.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back