New AD700s on the Way!
Aug 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #16 of 42
The box is the accessory. The cord is 9 feet long.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 42
9 ft! Awesome! What kind of cable is it? Anyone have pics of the cable or the AD700 in general? (I saw one of the reviews on headfi already)

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #18 of 42
Teen-fi for the win enjoy that cans

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9 ft! Awesome! What kind of cable is it? Anyone have pics of the cable or the AD700 in general? (I saw one of the reviews on headfi already)

Check out my review (link in sig).

Has lots of pictures of the pretty box and the cable. The cable's sorta rubbery. Hard to explain.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #20 of 42
Oh yeah, one last question...how should I burn in? Use what type of sound or music? Where could I get it?

They're coming in today!

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 42
Just listen to them. I enjoy hearing the headphones change over time.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #22 of 42
I loved them when I had them, The ear padding bothered me To much to want to keep using them. I did liked the sound stage of them but them bothering me outweight what I liked about them.

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

lol..fruit hanger...thanks for burn-in info. there's a stand in the box?

How many people here have AD700s?

Hey! Don't knock the banana hanger, it makes an excellent stand! I bent down the hook portion and taped it up to add bulk, then put some rubber tubing over it.

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #25 of 42
I just got it in the mail yesterday! Put them on, amazing, amazing soundstage and music just sounds so much crisp and sparking on it.....only con about music is that it now reveals the poorness and static of my MP3s
frown.gif
....oh well, time to fill up that 640GB drive with FLAC....which converter should I use?

Also, you guys were right about the bass - far less than the CX300s, but still there, just more natural....although pop and trance aren;t as fun
frown.gif

I found out that these are HUGE headphones....are all good stuff this big?? Beyers? AKGs? Senns?? They just slightly stay on my head, (I'm still growing!) and is there anything I can do about the slight touching of my ears by the pads?....hmmm...not as comfortable as I thought....also slightly itchy..thought they were velour..but then again, I haven't tried many phones...

I'm burning them in with my Samsung YP-Z5 Player...my ~200 songs on shuffle....mostly soundtrack, trailer music, or alternative rock...some classical thrown in too.......I've already done ~18 hours...will go for another few...Good Idea?

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 42
congrats on ur new ad700s. I have a pair as well and I am very happy with them. though i have never experienced itchiness with them, i hear some ppl do, i guess it varies a little, tho most ppl think they're extremely comfortable compared to other headphones which may have much more clamping force and put pressure on the top of my skull. the ad700s sound great too. i found the cx300s to have kinda a U shaped EQ built in, so I'm using the maximo i490's instead, w/ the cx300 tips.

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

I just got it in the mail yesterday! Put them on, amazing, amazing soundstage and music just sounds so much crisp and sparking on it.....only con about music is that it now reveals the poorness and static of my MP3s
frown.gif
....oh well, time to fill up that 640GB drive with FLAC....which converter should I use?

You can't 'upscale' mp3's to FLAC as that'll only increase file size for no quality gain. The only way is to rip your CD's into FLAC / 'obtain' fiels in FLAC.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #28 of 42
Congrats on the purchase.

atsmile.gif

I myself will be buying both the open and the closed types. Mainly because I do love bass, that's why I'm getting the closed version. I'm going to be using them mainly for Music and Gaming.

I already rip my music as Apple Lossless so I won't worry to much about it. Hopefully I don't have to buy an amp. I have a CMoy that I just built so that should hold up. But I might get me a Amp/DAC combo down the line.

But all in all... Congrats!

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't 'upscale' mp3's to FLAC as that'll only increase file size for no quality gain. The only way is to rip your CD's into FLAC / 'obtain' fiels in FLAC.

DAMN!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
....all my 20GB music.....more or less useless...oh well...FLAC is the best for prosumers, right?....and most my stuff is downloaded mp3s...192kbps or higher.....used to sound very good...

What's the best I could do with those? Upscale to highest mp3 bit rate? 320kbps?....lossy...

they leak a lot of sound! almost like mini speakers!

Absolutely no clamping at all!

Any known mods I could do? The grille is rather awkward looking...magenta-ish....silver/chrome would look awesome...

Just wondering.....do headphones sound this airy and wide??? HD555 sounds like what? Ultrasone?

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

DAMN!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
....all my 20GB music.....more or less useless...oh well...FLAC is the best for prosumers, right?....and most my stuff is downloaded mp3s...192kbps or higher.....used to sound very good...

What's the best I could do with those? Upscale to highest mp3 bit rate? 320kbps?....lossy...

It's even worse to 'upscale' 192 kbps mp3 to 320 kbps as both ar elossy formats thus you will lose sound quality while increasing the file size.
The only way you can get around this to replace your mp3 collection with a lossless collection through 'some' means (I think you know what I mean).

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx
they leak a lot of sound! almost like mini speakers!

Yep, they leak a lot because they're open headphones.

Quote:

Absolutely no clamping at all!

Yep, the Audio Technica AD series = super super comfortable.

Quote:

Just wondering.....do headphones sound this airy and wide??? HD555 sounds like what? Ultrasone?

HD555's sound like Sennheiser
wink.gif
They have their own distinctive sound signature. The AD700 are marketed as 'Air headphones' for a reason
wink.gif
And no, not all mid-fi and high-fi headphones are like this at all. All have different sound properties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back