New 3.5 mm chassi for AIAIAI TMA-1
Nov 29, 2012 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mtntwg

Head-Fier
Due to bad fitting of my current chassi (have to jiggle cable to make it sound right) I need to fix a new one. I rather spend 10 bucks and do it myself than send it to a retailer who'll fix it for 100 bucks.
But I'm a little unsure if the chassi I've found is right.

Is this going to work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Mini-Jack-Chassis-Panel-Mount-Black-Stereo-Socket-Connector-/321018318668?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cable_Terminations&hash=item4abe2ecf4c

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 4
First I will say that I have no idea if your little jack will work or not. For ten bucks you could always try it and see if it works. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but at the same time you would be loosing a tad bit of sound quality because the electricity would have to pass through yet another jack.

However, if you have to "jiggle" anything around, it is probably due to a poor solder or connection rather than your chassis. I would look at getting some OCC stranded silver or copper wire off of ebay and try to rewire your headphones. And since it would be a direct connection with your headphones you wouldn't be loosing sound quality like you would be with your jack.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery

Use this thread for help on how to rewire your headphones.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 4
i've got some of those jacks, and the tma1, and there's no way it would fit, its way too big, look at the diagram on the ebay page, 10mm diameter

You sure its the jack thats causing the issue and not the cable?
Try a different cable to be sure, any mini to mini should be fine just to check.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
First I will say that I have no idea if your little jack will work or not. For ten bucks you could always try it and see if it works. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but at the same time you would be loosing a tad bit of sound quality because the electricity would have to pass through yet another jack.
However, if you have to "jiggle" anything around, it is probably due to a poor solder or connection rather than your chassis. I would look at getting some OCC stranded silver or copper wire off of ebay and try to rewire your headphones. And since it would be a direct connection with your headphones you wouldn't be loosing sound quality like you would be with your jack.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery
Use this thread for help on how to rewire your headphones.

You mean like rewire the whole inside? Don't know if I'm that handy... I've checked the solder inside the cans and it looks good, nothing that has come loose.

Quote:
i've got some of those jacks, and the tma1, and there's no way it would fit, its way too big, look at the diagram on the ebay page, 10mm diameter

You sure its the jack thats causing the issue and not the cable?
Try a different cable to be sure, any mini to mini should be fine just to check.

I just bought a new cable from Headphonelounge and it's nothing wrong with it, also tried with 2 other cables that came with the TMA-1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back