New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Oct 6, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #61 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
Zhaolu D1.3 DAC ~ $123USD
Benchmark DAC1 ~ $950USD

I dont think its really fair to compare these two units side by side, considering their price differences. But based on current reviews, the D1.3 seems very promising and practically a bargain.

Well if you have a subpar CDP then Zhaolu make sense I suppose. Otherwize you are probably better off with a decent CDP and save up for dac1.

Oct 6, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #62 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
Well if you have a subpar CDP then Zhaolu make sense I suppose. Otherwize you are probably better off with a decent CDP and save up for dac1.

Well, I wouldn't call the Eastsound E5 subpar, since Roger Wilco's initial review already states that the 1.3 has strengths that in some instances better the E5's hardly subpar internal DAC. Let's wait for others to comment on this unit before dismissing it. Price doesn't always make quality.

Oct 6, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #63 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert

We all are intitled to our own opinoin . No matter how good or bad a unit is we all hear different .I will just have to wait for others to order and hear the dac.I think it is an absolute Bargain ,no matter how good your CDP is.I am not saying it is better or worst than the eastsound.Just presented in a different way.

There is a huge difference in price and they both come from china.

There are things i like about the dac and things that can be improved.But i can also say that about the eastsound.But i will ad that the eastsound is a bargain also.

I listen to alot of jazz and some rock--so i like vocals and treble.The future of affordable highend digital is a bright one.I just wish i had not waisted so much money in the past on 2-5k players

Oct 6, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #64 of 1,341
Interesting. Never heard of this company before and haven't seen their products in Shanghai or Beijing. Guangzhou manufacturer, bet you its all handmade. Quality control and component mix is going to be iffy, check before you buy.

The back panel from left to right is
Headphone in (RCA) -no switches. autoswitch DAC and RCA in?
Sound out (RCA) - does not look like its connected to the pot so is it just DAC out?
Digital in (RCA)
Digital in (Toslink)
XLR right/XLR left (XLR) - website says its balanced. Doesn't look like its connected to the pot either. Just straight DAC out?

RogerWilco, can you help out with some of these questions?

Seems strange to just output DAC signals since there's already a headphone amp/preamp built in. Then again, the components are modular. You can buy the Zhaolu D1.3 in D1.2, D1.1, and components versions as well.

As for China prices, you've got to remember, most companies are strictly manufacturers and just copy or slightly modify existing designs. Most places do not have a true R+D division. With some exceptions, if you look at Chinese CDP, amps, and other equipment, its generally the same circuitry with tiny changes and completely different casing. Sure Chinese labor is cheap, but remember R+D is very expensive and you're paying for it in most foreign brands.

Anyway. RogerWilco. How does it sound?

Oct 6, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #65 of 1,341
Just wanted to say that Lawrence has been very helpful in answering my emails regarding the Dac1.3. The 110v are currently out of stock but he said they should be getting some more shortly. Along with the op-amp upgrade, they have an upgrade for the clock ($70) and power supply ($80). I don't have exact details on each but I am sure if you send Lawrence an email he can provide more detail.

Found a link with more information regarding the DAC.
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...%2f5%2f480.htm

Oct 7, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #67 of 1,341
I emailed him to ask if he'll just supply the dac board (i want to stick it in a balanced m3
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #68 of 1,341
I currently have one in my possession. I haven't and probably won't be able to listen to it long enough to really give an in-depth review, but for the price I think its pretty good.

However I had to sell it since it just made me want to kick myself in the nuts really hard when I think about the Grace901 I sold which IMO had a better DAC (although 'nerfed' and hard to appraise in that you can only listen to it through headphone jack). I won't even mention a headphone jack or build/asthetics comparison less I wear a cup, but thats not fair since...well it was a Grace 901, you'd know if you saw and held the two. Still you will be pleasantly surprised by build for the price, but at the same time lets not forget how improved headphone gear builds have been recently all-around.

It makes me want to kick myself twice when I think about the Headroom Desktop Combo that was given away for sale recently as well. Yes both are at 'multiples' of cost in comparison...but still you do see where a lot of the money goes. Plus with some serious shopping luck and sensibility you can knock off a multiple or so.

I've listened to it enough to know its not a giant killer (in stock form with unbalanced outputs at least), and makes me pine for my lost giant of a combo that was my Grace, or try the new Headroom offerings. Still it has potential, and by listening to it in unbalanced mode, admittedly I'm only gonna end up hearing a fraction of the entire output stage, and also a cmoy headphone amp.

Anyhow I tend to make my judgements quite quickly, after the years I'm pretty much immune to new-toy feelings(after going through too many new toys hehe), and don't have enough schizophrenic tendences to toggle between love-hate 100 times to need 1000 hour burn ins.
tongue.gif

Its worth its price although perhaps a fixer upper. Yet it also confirms to me that my long lost Grace 901 was definitely worth its price(especially the one I paid). To be honest, if I took the price of my Grace 901, and subtracted out the price of the Gilmore Lite (which I don't even like as much as a headphone amp compared to the Grace 901), it leaves very very little margin for a DAC that would really compare
rolleyes.gif
. It's like going out with a new girlfriend that reminds you of an old ex-girlfriend that was just...better? So you see the relationship was short lived. Who knows if you do some implants and surgery though. Oh well this probably reveals more about my feelings about the Grace than it does about this DAC lol.

Oct 7, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #70 of 1,341
Hello

Are you just listening to headphones?I did not judge the dac in that fashion.I only listen to 2 channel.Like i said in the beginning of this thread.I did not like the dac when i first recieved it.I thought it to be bright and conjested.As it broke in and i did a little modding to it myself i find it to be very detailed and a joy to listen too.I have some very high grade power cords and interconnects.

The dac is plugged into a highly modified powervar 12 amp conditioner and my amp is plugged into a modified promethean powerflo conditoner.The bass is not as good as the eastsound,but myself i am not really into bass.When i say this i mean i am into a very refined tight bass .I really just like vocals ,strings--just all sorts of jazz and some rock.

I have my 2 channel system in a spare bedroom that has a dedicated outlet.I have the room heavily dampened with bass traps,room tunes--it is fairly dead,but just a little lively.I have made several diffusers made out of plywood to hang up in the room.It is almost set up like a recording studio----

I was listening to a vtl sampler disk tonight and there sure was so damn good imaging--i am talking about you have no idea where the speakers are at--they totally disappear .--it just all the uncanny imaging and depth i have.But thats what makes this hobby worth wild.

My family is perfectly satified with the denon reciever and the 5 speaker surround setup in the living room.

I think the dac can be improved--no dought.but it sure has alot of promise.
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #71 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Check out the xlr outs if you get a chance...I'm about to order the power supply and dac boards for $130+shipping...

You mean the upgraded power supply and dac boards?

Oct 7, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #72 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Check out the xlr outs if you get a chance...I'm about to order the power supply and dac boards for $130+shipping...

That wouldn't be a bad idea since you'll get to populate it with the parts you want, matched the way you want, etc. I'd love to try the XLR outs, but the likelyhood of me pulling a fully balanced rig out of thin air anytime soon isn't too high. If you are going for balanced, I think it'll be a different evaluation. Otherwise you just aren't utilizing everything you paid for with this DAC.

Oct 7, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #73 of 1,341
The populated and built dac boards and power supply boards, without the amp board or case, etc. I'm looking to integrate it into a balanced m3 configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back