New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Oct 3, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #48 of 1,341
Do you need software to utilize the translater? I wanna read about this Mountain Dew DAC! XTREME!
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #49 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I'm wondering what the sound signature is like with this Zhaolu DAC. It's the first DAC I've heard of that uses this particular Analog Devices chip. RogerWilco, are you using this in a speaker setup?

I quess with every piece of equipment you will have some kind of signature.It's just how we interpit that signature.

I mainly use a 2 channel speaker system.Full range crossoverless speakers and good clean tube gear that is not "Chocolaty" and "syrupy" ,but has an air of realism .

The DAC--

The sound is just so "clean", so "natural", so "musical" and so "detailed" .The width of the soundstage, the clarity and the sheer presence make this a heck of a deal.

Perfect--heck no--is there better--yes--but no where near this price!

I will say this--when i first recieved the dac i did not like it--sounded congested and bright.The character changed imensly as the dac broke in!

Hope this helps

PS--ask lawrence about what he thinks of upgrading the OPA 2604 analog op-amp.

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #50 of 1,341
Difference between left and right set of RCA's? Labeling looks different...just can't read it.
tongue.gif

Also I'm pretty curious as to what the voltage coming from the PSU to the headphone amp. There looks to be ample room for mod/replacement.

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #51 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
Difference between left and right set of RCA's? Labeling looks different...just can't read it.
tongue.gif

It looks like the far left rca'a are not connected to anything.

Not sure on what the voltage is,but this looks like a great piece for modding.We need a member that reads Chinese
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #52 of 1,341
Hello

Lawrence told me about another op-amp he has that sounds better than the OPA 2604.

He calls it AD dy2000,i tried a google search on it and found hardly anything.He said it imensly improves the sound.His price is $30 for it and $5 shipping.I went ahead and ordered it .

He said also if you use balanced you could also use these to replace the 2 op-amps there.

I will see how well it sounds when i recieve it.It would be too expensive to spend an extra $90 for 3 of them unless there was a big improvement.

He also sends a violin cd with it --he claims you will hear a difference.

Always an improvement around the corner
biggrin.gif
---it's only money right?

Oct 5, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #53 of 1,341
Hmm i Just missed the last Lite DAC-AH on ebay, im really tempted to buy this. Geeze China is really pumpin out some product these days eh?

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #54 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Hmm i Just missed the last Lite DAC-AH on ebay, im really tempted to buy this. Geeze China is really pumpin out some product these days eh?

You are right--I just hope prices will not increase with it's growing popularity.

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #55 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
Hello

Lawrence told me about another op-amp he has that sounds better than the OPA 2604.

He calls it AD dy2000,i tried a google search on it and found hardly anything.He said it imensly improves the sound.His price is $30 for it and $5 shipping.I went ahead and ordered it .

If this unit already roughly sounds as great as the Eastsound, how much better can the AD dy2000 be? Immensly? I gotta sit down.

Is it diffucult for a non-techie to change op-amps?

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #56 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by skysaxon

Is it diffucult for a non-techie to change op-amps?

Nah. Just carefully pry out the old opamp and pop a new one in.

Oct 5, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #57 of 1,341
I'm hooked to the thread .. please could you provide more detailed info about the sound..?
..and a comparison with other sources would be GREAT ..

[size=xx-small]edit : I assume you don't have balanced headphones to test the whole package (dac&amp->headphones)[/size]

Oct 5, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #58 of 1,341
I found a thread on another forum that has some discussion of this Zhaolu D1.3 DAC as well as some other Chinese DAC's like the Lite DAC-AH. Unfortunately, I can only read about 30% of it because the rest is in Chinese.
biggrin.gif

Here

There is some discussion about changing the op-amps in the analog output, including the AD DY2000 that RogerWilco mentioned above.

Oct 6, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #59 of 1,341
Good find. Found more about this DAC. It was started as a DIY project on chinese headphone forum. Very few have heard the unit and with somewhat mixed review. The cost for the delux unit in China is about 1000 RMB or $123 USD.
biggrin.gif
I would imaging you would be better off getting DAC1 ....you can't go wrong with stereophile class A items.

Oct 6, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #60 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
Good find. Found more about this DAC. It was started as a DIY project on chinese headphone forum. Very few have heard the unit and with somewhat mixed review. The cost for the delux unit in China is about 1000 RMB or $123 USD.
biggrin.gif
I would imaging you would be better off getting DAC1 ....you can't go wrong with stereophile class A items.

Zhaolu D1.3 DAC ~ $123USD
Benchmark DAC1 ~ $950USD

I dont think its really fair to compare these two units side by side, considering their price differences. But based on current reviews, the D1.3 seems very promising and practically a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back