Nevermind, got a deal lined up.
Jun 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread makes no sense at all.

Especially coming from a Sansa Clip to +35k stuffs
wink.gif

I've seen a high-school-er with the EX82 and KSC75 thinking of jumping straight to the SR-007.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lies. I was trying to find out if a high end source is worth it with mid-fi cans and ended up striking a decent deal.
@krmathis yeah, although I am not earning enough to qualify to have to pay hecs debt at the moment (student debt) so it wouldnt affect me much to go into debt and pay it off later (as it doesnt increase if you are deemed 'unable' to pay it).

Don't go into debt for audio stuff, even if you might not have to pay it. That's not right and, further, digital sources are not worth big money.

No, I am not saying they sound bad. Most of the big money sources sound terrific.

However, go to Audiogon and check prices of players 5-10 years out. There is breathtaking depreciation. Moreover, you cannot get parts for most of them. If a chip goes or a servo motor conks out, you will have a kilobuck doorstop.

Also consider the pace at which digital reinvents itself. What will be available in three years will outclass even the most expensive sources today.

My take is to buy midline digital sources that are well made and use them until they break or something significantly better comes out. That keeps the risk of a five figure doorstop to a minimum. Also, what ten year old CD player - at any price - would you want today? Will you want any of today's offerings in 2019? Assuming we survive 2012, of course.
wink.gif

Finally, a large chunk of cash like that should probably go towards income producing investments. Not towards something with a sharp depreciation curve and is impossible to fix a few years out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back