Nevermind, got a deal lined up.
Jun 11, 2009 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

CDBacklash

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys... before I get started listing what I am interested in,
is it pointless getting a $$$ DAC/CD player (would prefer not to go vinyl atm and would prefer if it can be used from a PS3 and a Computer) with at best mid-fi cans? (low fi for 770 pro and mid-fi for the upcoming 880/600).

Anyway, I have an essence and find the mids too blurry (almost bloomy/bloaty) and want to get a dry DAC to compliment my setup rather than using my DAP as a source.
Price is no object, provided it is dry and wont make too much of a fuss over small reverbs added to make things sound more 'full'.
Is there such a thing as a high-end dac that will run from a pc/ps3, be dry (i.e. only play what the music wants, reveal detail without forcing reverb effects in my face) and be gentle to poorly recorded tracks whilst blowing me away with well recorded ones?
Order of importance
1. Musicality
2. Smoothness
3. Neutrality
4. Detail
5. All else

When I say price is no object, preferably under 35k if thats reasonable (although I would like to mention, the cheaper the better as it will take me 3 months to save every 5000 over 9000)...
Just looking for some names for me to go and test spin more than anything because I am not happy with the sound either of my sources are putting out...

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 17
35K is a lot of money! Diminishing returns kicks in quite steeply after around $1500 for sources (especially if your headphones are "mid-fi"). Your money would go a lot further if you split your budget into upgrading headphones and amps at the same time.

What is your current source?

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 17
STX and sansa clip. I also have an XFI and a DX
I'm not sure how much a source is worth since I've really not stepped around in this area.
I'd prefer to not upgrade my headphones or amp at the moment (would prefer to see what the future brings), but I am looking for a future-proof source (I am not ever looking to go balanced).
Out of these... preference is
Clip (smooth, but very rough around the edges), STX (flabby flabby mids), x-fi (bloated bass which to be fair I do not need. I'll add it with headphones if anything) and dx (same as STX just worse).
In terms of source files, CD and FLAC EAC
To be fair, any price is reasonable provided it gets me the sound I am after.
I do not have an external, dedicated DAC but I would like to jump into the high end to see what it offers me. My desire to venture into the high-end actually stems from my dissatisfaction of the STX.
Not too keen on dropping down to mid-end dacs because I feel that they have room to compensate for their short comings ala stx whose sound I hate.
Oh i should mention itll be a help if its available in a 220/240V variety, (australian) but its not of a huge importance

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 17
Here is what I think:

1) You can't buy a future proof source. It seems like digital-analog conversion undergoes a major paradigm shift every few years. The best way to get a future proof source is to buy a (very good) vintage one IMO (if it's vintage now, it will still be vintage in 5 years)
tongue.gif
I think sources are the least future-proof out of headphones, amps and sources.

2) Amps on the other hand are probably a lot more future proof.

3) You probably would feel the same going from a Sansa clip to a $2000 DAC as from a Sansa clip to a $20000 DAC.

4) Your LDIII is pretty low-end IMO. You could do a lot better for $1500.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 17
The best DAC I've owned so far is the Audio-gd Reference 1. It has absolutely zero colouration, but is massive overkill for dynamic cans. It reveals enough detail that I think even my electrostat rig can't get the most out of it. If I had $9k, I'd get, as well as the Ref 1 an electrostat rig, such as the O2 MK1 and a Blue Hawaii, plus some Van Den Hul The Orchid XLR (or The Silver IT MKIII if you really want to go nuts) interconnects, as well as 2x the VDH power cable from Duratone in Canberra. You'd be wasting your money spending that much in $$$ on a rig for just dynamic cans.

If obscure Chinese DACs aren't the go for you, you can spend insane amounts easily on Esoteric DACs, but again, it'd be crazy for just a pair of Beyers.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is what I think:

1) You can't buy a future proof source. It seems like digital-analog conversion undergoes a major paradigm shift every few years. The best way to get a future proof source is to buy a (very good) vintage one IMO (if it's vintage now, it will still be vintage in 5 years)
tongue.gif
I think sources are the least future-proof out of headphones, amps and sources.

2) Amps on the other hand are probably a lot more future proof.

3) You probably would feel the same going from a Sansa clip to a $2000 DAC as from a Sansa clip to a $20000 DAC.

4) Your LDIII is pretty low-end IMO. You could do a lot better for $1500.

My LDIII is very low end IMO, although I currently dont have an interest to upgrade (probably will by the time christmas comes around).
I am not disatisfied with the headphones in my current possession so I do not feel the need to upgrade (although I think the source may be the first step.)

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My LDIII is very low end IMO, although I currently dont have an interest to upgrade (probably will by the time christmas comes around).
I am not disatisfied with the headphones in my current possession so I do not feel the need to upgrade (although I think the source may be the first step.)

My suggestion it to take a smaller step for the source while you figure out the rest of your rig. If you spend over $600 it will most probably blow your STX out of the water (and will definitely blow your Sansa clip away).

e.g. Mhdt Havana
Stello DA100

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 17
$35,000 certainly is a lot of money for a system, let alone a DAC/CD player.
Perhaps you care sharing? Since you already have something lined up..
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 17
Sounds like a smart move!
Buy headphone gear with money already earned, and when you can afford it.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread makes no sense at all.

lies. I was trying to find out if a high end source is worth it with mid-fi cans and ended up striking a decent deal.
@krmathis yeah, although I am not earning enough to qualify to have to pay hecs debt at the moment (student debt) so it wouldnt affect me much to go into debt and pay it off later (as it doesnt increase if you are deemed 'unable' to pay it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back