never mind cash: best phones for work
Oct 9, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might by the ATH-ESW9's for the office. Heard sound is a little warm but have very little leakage and should go well with my neutral to slightly bright iqube.

I once apparently ran the headphone loud enough in a library for people around me to complain (ESW9)...it was not even that loud to my ears, to be honest. In short - this thing leaks for no apparent reason. Same will go for a few other 'closed' headphones (W5000, D5000,...).

Maybe you should grab something like Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, which is simple, not too expensive, closed/not leaking.

On the case of Edition 9 - hey, it would replace your Grado without blinking. It is a monster :p

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #36 of 44
I'd probably go with a custom IEM such as the UE10, UE11, or Westone ES2 and use them with the PTH microphone gadget that Shure sells. That way, you'll have all of the isolation you'll ever want, no sound leakage to disturb others, and the ability to flip a switch on the PTH device to instantly cut the music and hear everything that is going on around you, then right back to the music without taking the IEMs out of your ears.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #37 of 44
I use the denon d2000's everyday at work and no complaints all.
They don't isolate well BUT they do not leak noise out enough to bother people around you at moderate volumes. But as others have suggested if your turning it way up iem's might be ur only real option.

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote against Ultrasones if you are worried about leaking sound because they tend to leak some sound especially if you are listening to your music at loud volumes (not sure if the Edition 9s are the same way though, I only have a pair of Pro 650s and a pair of Proline 2500s, the 2500s leak sound for obvious reasons).

Why would you even mention the Proline 2500s in this context? They are an open headphone, these types of comments confuse people and are not helpful. This post is not meant as an attack on your comments in general, but the reference to the open headphone is a left field, red herring. No one would talk about isloation in regards to say a HD25 and then go on to say HD650s leak sound; simply not helpful and potentially misleading.

My Proline 550 leak very little even at high volumes. So my question to you is -Does your Proline 650 (closed fon) leak? The answer to this, might be helpful to the OP.

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #40 of 44
K702
+
ED9
+
SPL Phonitor
=
Happiness
wink_face.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the denon d2000's everyday at work and no complaints all.
They don't isolate well BUT they do not leak noise out enough to bother people around you at moderate volumes. But as others have suggested if your turning it way up iem's might be ur only real option.

That's weird, because when I checked them out in a local hi-fi store, I could hear the music from across the room (pretty big room) when someone was listening at a reasonable volume.

If someone is taking calls in a cubicle right next to him, they will be able to hear the music. The Denons barely isolate more than an open headphone like AKG K701 from what I could tell.

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krelian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's weird, because when I checked them out in a local hi-fi store, I could hear the music from across the room (pretty big room) when someone was listening at a reasonable volume.

If someone is taking calls in a cubicle right next to him, they will be able to hear the music. The Denons barely isolate more than an open headphone like AKG K701 from what I could tell.

Are you sure it was the d2000's?
Because literally if I take them off and put something over the open cups I can't hear anything from them at about 6 feet with ambient noise. They either had them way cranked up (which they will go incredibly loud) or you were mistaken to what they were auditioning.

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #43 of 44
Yes I am very sure it was a pair of Denon AH-D2000. I had someone listen to Metallica while I stood at the other end of the room, and the leakage was very noticable.

I'm still interested in the Denons for the comfort and sound though, so I will try this again and see what happens.

For reference, my Beyerdynamic DT48 do not leak at all, but I can't wear them for several hours because of the extreme clamping and their weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back