Neutron vs Poweramp
Oct 26, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #31 of 67
Are you using a memory card or just adding to the phone's internal memory?

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #33 of 67
I have no idea why Neutron has found your ringtones, that's a new one on me.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #34 of 67
Resurrecting a dead thread because Poweramp full version is on sale on Google Play for $0.99.

Separately, assuming you aren't using EQ, how could Poweramp or Neutron really sound different on the same device if they are both using the same dac and amp? Is it all about opinions on one having better EQ or effects than the other?

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #35 of 67
I haven't tested this myself, but people often attribute increased/better SQ with firmware updates, and the hardware hasn't changed there either. I guess HOW the gear handles those bits is different depending on the firmware or app.
I actually do use Neutron on my HTC M8, have not done comparisons in eons, but I did compare years back and liked Neutron better. I actually don't download music on my phone these days, use a Pono for that, but I often stream WFMU.org. They have an app that includes a pop up player, or you can stream a 126mb signal from the web page. I find the stream much better sounding than the pop up over my phone, but that could be the signal differs between the 2 streams of the same radio show, the 128 being a higher fidelity signal (I don't know this to be the case, but I do suspect it).
I'm sure you'll be fine with Poweramp, though...

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #36 of 67
years ago i spent time a-b'ing neutron with several other players.  there was a clear difference to my ears: neutron was noticeably better.  i no longer use it, really.  i use a dap:  a qp1r, but if i were listening to my phone i'd use neutron.

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #37 of 67
Poweramp 3 Alpha Build 703 with 24-bit/192 Khz output vs Neutron 48 Khz for all (though not enough info on output).
I have problems with sound on LG G2 with Neutron: clattering, stuttering random (not repeated on same position) while playing loud music. Tried all options, AGP and others.
But right now I also have problems with Poweramp 24-bit output on HTC 10: random output failures while switching tracks or changing position while playing track.
Signature sound different. Poweramp better in my opinion with jazz, classical music, soul and so on. Rock and metal better with Neutron.

Poweramp has IMO much better interface with features like missing covers search. Both has great format support and good variations of widgets.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #38 of 67
my comparisons were classical and jazz only, on a samsung phone.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #39 of 67
It may have changed, it was ages (and phones) ago, I bought both, liked the sound of Neutron better (though, I wouldn't swear I'd be able to pick one over the other blinded).

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #40 of 67
If ages ago then Poweramp 2 I suppose. Yeah, it sounds not great. Better than stock but not great.

Comparing players directly on same songs:
- HTC 10 (1.80.401.1.)
- Audio-Technica ATH-IM03
- Boomsound and Dolby Audio off
- 60-66% of android output through 100-step control in Poweramp
- Poweramp 3 Alpha Build 703 in 2 modes: 24-bit 192 Khz output and OpenSL ES 16-bit 48 Khz output.
- Neutron 1.89.5-ARM64 OpenSL ES driver, 32-bit output, 64-bit processing.

The only big difference I found that Poweramp 3 Alpha less loud than Neutron and foobar2000 mobile. I believe ~10% difference. Not sure who is wrong here but we're all know what they say about 10% loud = 50% "better". Set pre-amp in Neutron -6-6.7 dB to compensate it and the difference between two becomes very subtle. Poweramp just a little softer I believe but I can't trust my ears too much.
Checked Boomsound and Dolby Audio - no difference cause I tune it flat. Volume doesn't change either. DVC on Poweramp - nothing changed.

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #45 of 67
I'll eat my hat if Poweramp is better than Neutron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back