Neutron vs Poweramp
Dec 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

gordec

Headphoneus Supremus
I have tried all kind of settings under the trial version of Neutron player for my last 3 phones. Note 2, S4 and now Note 3. With IE80 and Westone 3, I just don't see the improvement some users are experiencing over poweramp. Is there a specific setting people are using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 67
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Set Neutron and Poweramp to flat EQ. Switch the same (high bitrate, preferably FLAC) file between both. Assuming your headphones are good enough Neutron should win every time. Nowhere near as user-friendly but IMO much better sounding.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 67
I don't have either but trying to figure out what to get for my Samsun Galaxy S4 myself. I want it to pass DSD. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 67
Excuse my ignorance but, "DSD"?

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 67
Yes, as DoP. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 67
Is this like a game or something?

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 67
Is this like a game or something?

Well most know what DSD is, and DoP is DSD packaged and transported as a pcm so you can listen to DSD that you might normally might not be able to. Some players will output DoP so you can use a dac that will decode this as DSD. Some consider DSD the highest resolution much of audio but it all depends upon how it was recorded and whether it was recorded as DSD originally or changed to DSD by software. 

DSD

DoP

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 67
I can honestly say I have never heard of either of those formats. I was beginning to think you were taking the piss. Clearly I'm not able to help you then, sorry. Good luck though.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 67
I can honestly say I have never heard of either of those formats. I was beginning to think you were taking the piss. Clearly I'm not able to help you then, sorry. Good luck though.

I wasn't really asking for your help but thank you. I was putting out a general question as to what software was working well. Some incorporates DSD some does not. So, now you have heard of DSD. Anyway, good listening. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 67
On Galaxy S2, I noticed a big difference. On GS3, little if any. LG G2, Neutron was some better. Both are miles ahead of any stock play though.

One thing to be aware of: Switching between the two can be perilous for Neutron. There are some Android setting which Poweramp sets and Neutron fails to reset, and they can make Neutron sound like crap if you don't restart device.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #11 of 67
I wasn't aware of any issues between the two as you describe but I'll watch out for that in future. Thanks.

It makes sense that the phone's hardware will make a difference to the quality between the two players. Strangely, I'm now reading people reporting that since updating to kitkat on the Note 3 the headphone output sounds better.

There are so many variables to take into account when using a phone as the source hardware.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 67
Poweramp sound better than Neutron on my Samsung galaxy tab 3 7.0 together with Sennheiser HD201 headphones. I listen ONLY Flac files, from 16 at 24 bits. I mention that I DON'T use graphic equalizer.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 67
  I wasn't really asking for your help but thank you. I was putting out a general question as to what software was working well. Some incorporates DSD some does not. So, now you have heard of DSD. Anyway, good listening. 

Excuse for my ignorance. What DSD players in android are we talking about?

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #15 of 67
I had thought Neutron was the better sounding player, installed both it and Poweramp on my Samsung player (YP something or other), quick listen goes to Poweramp, will listen some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back