Neutral IEMs
Oct 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 22
Clarification: Etymotic earphones our matched to our ears to sound 'flat'; the actual FR curve is not flat, but natural, as it is matched to the natural inverse FR sensitivity of the human ear.

I think that makes sense...

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #18 of 22
You are right, but unfortunately, not all ears are of the same shape and size. 
frown.gif

Quote:
Clarification: Etymotic earphones our matched to our ears to sound 'flat'; the actual FR curve is not flat, but natural, as it is matched to the natural inverse FR sensitivity of the human ear.

I think that makes sense...

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #19 of 22
Everyone should own the ER4 at least once in their head-fi carrier.  They're an outstanding reference level product, and their going rate these days is great.  They have also "upgraded" to the twisted type cable that is so popular.  I'm sure it helps microphonics tremendously.  The old cable was a tank but super bulky, heavy, and carried a ton of microphonics, basically requiring the shirt clip.

Try the ER4.  You'll like it or you won't.  If you don't, figure out what you want different, and we can point you to something more fitting.  If you like it, enjoy.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
Everyone should own the ER4 at least once in their head-fi carrier.  They're an outstanding reference level product, and their going rate these days is great.  They have also "upgraded" to the twisted type cable that is so popular.  I'm sure it helps microphonics tremendously.  The old cable was a tank but super bulky, heavy, and carried a ton of microphonics, basically requiring the shirt clip.

Try the ER4.  You'll like it or you won't.  If you don't, figure out what you want different, and we can point you to something more fitting.  If you like it, enjoy.

I agree big time.  If nothing more, you'll experience a special IEM and they are one of the best reference points to work from.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 22

ClieOS said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Over-the-ears will be difficult with Ety. Seal is not difficult, just 'deep', as in you will need to push the IEM fairly deep into the ear canal. If those are a concern, Phonak Audeo PFE might work for you as well, just not as isolating as Ety.

Reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506087/review-etymotic-er4p-er4s-the-living-legends
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/482515/review-phonak-aud-o-pfe-121

Is the link invalid? Something error occurs when opening the link.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #22 of 22
Thanks guys. I've had them for a good few weeks and like them a lot. I remember coming on here a few years ago when I got the Shure 530s complaining that they were far too bassy and now I'm very glad to get back to a more sane sound. The balance seems absolutely right to me.

Microphonics bothers me very occasionally but it's not a great problem. I like that the wire doesn't get too tangled up in the case and the latter is easier in the pocket than Shure's.

I have found the supplied foam tips a little painful when putting them in the ear and the seal is not as good as Shure foam tips. Now I'm trying the silicon ones which are better but are not as stably positioned.

Got any tips...so to speak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back