Neutral, Closed, Sealed Headphones
Jan 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ddcpitt

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there,

I am in the market for a neutral, closed, and sealed pair of headphones. I am not looking for an overall upgrade, just to fill a small gap in my collection. For the record, I will mostly be driving these from an Asgard connected to a Bifrost, but also will occasionally be using a C421 (OPA2227) connected to an iPod 5G and ODAC. All of my headphones are listed in my sig.

Closed cans I own are the D5000, MrSpeakers Mad Dogs, DT770 Pro 80, Pro 900, HFI-780, and HM5. I certainly do not want to sound nitpicky, I am just really trying to fill this gap in my collection. I realize no headphone is perfect and I enjoy all the headphones I currently own (I sold off the ones I did not like). The D5000 are fantastic, but they are far from sealed, the bass is just a hair too loose, and the highs are just a little harsh. The DT770 Pro 80 has slightly boosted bass and slightly recessed midrange for me to call it neutral. Correct me if I am wrong. The Pro 900 are obviously very boosted in the bass region and have harsh highs. The HFI-780 are also v-shaped and not as detailed as some of the others. The HM5 is not very detailed in the midrange (sort of veiled) and a little too dark. I plan on selling my HM5 very soon.

Then I get to the Mad Dogs, which are closer to what I am after and are good in their own right, but not exactly what I am after in a neutral, closed, sealed can. They do not isolate very well and they are too dark for me. It is my darkest headphone and I tend to like a sound signature that is a little brighter, especially when talking about a neutral can. I believe they are too dark to be considered neutral. Once again, correct me if I am wrong.

I have been considering the following as my neutral, closed, sealed headphone:
  1. AKG K550
  2. Logitech UE 6000 (wish the earpads were replaceable, though)
  3. Sennheiser Momentum
  4. V-Moda M100 (pretty much ruled out as they seem very bassy and not too detailed)
  5. AT A900X (from what I have read, the K550 seem a better fit than these)

I have almost narrowed it down to the K550 or the Momentum, but am very open to other suggestions, especially if you lack experience with these or have more experience with others. InnerFidelity seems to place the UE 6000 above the K550 and Momentum as the better value, but I am not seeking a better value. At the same time, I do not want to break the bank, so I guess I would set a budget of around $300 or $350. I am after the most neutral, closed, sealed headphone with the most detail and highest fidelity.

I am not sure if this helps, but the headphone I consider to be my neutral open headphone is the DT880 Pro 250, but I do realize the highs might be considered by some to be a little too boosted to be considered neutral. I also just picked up the HE-500, but do not have enough experience with it yet to determine if it is more neutral than the DT800, but I do absolutely love it so far. Maybe someone knows which is more neutral?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi!

Sennheiser Momentum, V-Moda M100 and UE6000 are not at all neutral. Momemtum have some boost at the lows. UE6000 and M-100 has a v-shape sound. K550 suit your needs best. Detailed, wide soundstage for a closed headphone and very neutral. Personally, I would prefer K550 over Momenutums and UE6000. Momentums are pretty good but it has a little boost at the lows and bleeds to the mids. I have no comment for ATH-A900x but I heard a lot of people here prefer K550 over it. I hope this help!

Billson 
size]

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 9
The K550's didn't seem terribly neutral when I demoed them. The highs seemed a tad bit too prominent and the bass was a bit lacking, but it probably is the most neutral out of the ones you listed.  I haven't heard the Mad Dogs yet, but if you thought those were too dark, then chances are you'll find the UE 6000's to be too dark as well (I know I sure did), despite being reasonably well balanced otherwise.  Overall, it sounds like you're looking for a Paradox (though, they are a bit over your budget). I have yet to try those either, so I can't tell you specifics about it like how detailed they are exactly, but as far as neutrality goes, check out their Frequency Response graph.  I've heard that they're at least as dark as the mad dogs though, so... yeah. I'm hoping to try these out at a meet coming up in a couple weeks, but until then I'm on the same boat as you. I've been looking for a good closed can to track guitars with for a while, but so far nothing has satisfied me very much.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 9
I'd say the K550 of those you listed. However, I'd also like to add to your list if I may, the PSB M4U 1. Very flat FR, seals great on my head (well the M4U 2 does, and they're essentially the same physically), great sound, closed/sealed. There is a good chance that these are what you want to fill in your gap.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 9
The K550 is the only one that will meet most of your criteria

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Sorry I am a college senior and have been very busy over the past few days, but I am very thankful for all of your helpful contributions. I decided to pick up the K550 for now and I have 30 days to return them. They should arrive tomorrow.

Headfonia will be posting a review of the Soundmagic HP100 in the coming weeks and I am looking forward to reading that. I have a feeling I will end up with either the K550 or the HP100 for the long haul though, it's just a matter of figuring out which one.

Thanks, again for you help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back