Neumann NDH 30
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #4,846 of 4,909
I personally didn’t like the HD 560S or HD 400 Pro much
I agree with you. The slight difference is that my HD 400 Pro has slightly better sound than my HD 560S. But for me, this pair of headphones has little value in sound. Not bad, but not impressive. Regarding the HD 490 Pro. I expected probably more than I got from the NDH 30, but they have a different sound signature. And I can say that sometimes the 490's irritate me with their sound signature. It’s clear that this is probably more useful for identifying errors in sound recordings, but I don’t yet have the desire to listen to music in them for a long time. Apparently I’m not used to the sound yet.

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #4,847 of 4,909
I agree with you. The slight difference is that my HD 400 Pro has slightly better sound than my HD 560S. But for me, this pair of headphones has little value in sound. Not bad, but not impressive. Regarding the HD 490 Pro. I expected probably more than I got from the NDH 30, but they have a different sound signature. And I can say that sometimes the 490's irritate me with their sound signature. It’s clear that this is probably more useful for identifying errors in sound recordings, but I don’t yet have the desire to listen to music in them for a long time. Apparently I’m not used to the sound yet.
The driver has potential as I could tell with my audition of the NDH-30, but it's not well implemented in the HD 560S or HD 400 Pro.

And early production HD 560S's sound even worse, that was one of the worst open-backs I had the displeasure of listening to, the thing had no soundstage width and super in my head and was even leaner, limper, and more unpleasant sounding in the treble than the HD 400 Pro. And that 3m cable the early ones came with, the most microphonic and janky piece of crap I've ever come across. I bought the HD 560S new directly from Sennheiser when it came out. This wasn't a problem with the HD 400 Pro which sounded quite decent and cables were fine. Haven't heard newer HD 560S's but they did get revision, I assume they sound more like the HD 400 Pro which would make them decent for the price, but nothing special.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #4,848 of 4,909
To be honest, this expression that they have the same driver really infuriates me. According to this statement, there is no point in buying others if, for example, the HD 560S has the same driver. Well, now to the essence of the issue. I have an HD 400 Pro, HD 490 Pro and NDH 30, and also had an HD 560 S. And they all sound different. In my opinion, the NDH 30 is best for listening to music, and the HD 490 Pro for working with sound.
But that's just my hearing :wink:
Pretty much all of Sennheisers IEMs have the same driver also, they don't sound the same. But it's a statement of quality and EQ can do wonders. There are many talented EQ'ers out in the community, Poweramp for example has a feature that allows you to download EQ profiles over the app.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #4,849 of 4,909
I've noticed the same thing. Wonder why that is....... I'll keep listening to great albums as I contemplate this reality.

Leo
Your ears are very sensitive to the slightest changes which especially are noticeable via headphones. Not nearly as much with speakers. For example people with allergies, pressure, sinus, wax etc. There are times im noticing decreased bass which completely corrects to normal after i swallow a few times. Im sure that is a common experience for many.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #4,850 of 4,909
Pretty much all of Sennheisers IEMs have the same driver also, they don't sound the same. But it's a statement of quality and EQ can do wonders. There are many talented EQ'ers out in the community, Poweramp for example has a feature that allows you to download EQ profiles over the app.
Well, now I will sell my Sennheiser's RS 220, HD 400 Pro, HD 490 Pro, HD6XX, HD650, HD660S and Neumann NDH 30 and keep only the HD 560 S. Because they have the same driver :wink:Or I'll even buy an HD 206 and listen to them with the help of talented EQ'ers.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #4,851 of 4,909
Well, now I will sell my Sennheiser's RS 220, HD 400 Pro, HD 490 Pro, HD6XX, HD650, HD660S and Neumann NDH 30 and keep only the HD 560 S. Because they have the same driver :wink:Or I'll even buy an HD 206 and listen to them with the help of talented EQ'ers.
Well you can continue being passive aggressive about it, or just accept that there are multiple ways of going about this hobby and underlying objective facts that can supplement your decisions and help you find a prefetence or you can choose not to do that.
But first of all you could stop trying to spin my posts into some "controversial" statement you are interpreting out of them just to start a senseless debate.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #4,852 of 4,909
Well you can continue being passive aggressive about it, or just accept that there are multiple ways of going about this hobby and underlying objective facts that can supplement your decisions and help you find a prefetence or you can choose not to do that.
But first of all you could stop trying to spin my posts into some "controversial" statement you are interpreting out of them just to start a senseless debate.
What kind of reaction did you expect to your statement that all Sennheiser drivers are the same? This is a very stupid statement and to my regret, I have to tell you this. You can put me on listignor.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #4,853 of 4,909
What kind of reaction did you expect to your statement that all Sennheiser drivers are the same? This is a very stupid statement and to my regret, I have to tell you this. You can put me on listignor.
I know they are the same. I was in their factory. The dampening etc, so the analogue EQ, can vary, but they have a total of about 4-5 different driver types for all of their headphones and 3 for all of their IEMs. That's also not some kind of secret.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #4,854 of 4,909
I know they are the same. I was in their factory. The dampening etc, so the analogue EQ, can vary, but they have a total of about 4-5 different driver types for all of their headphones and 3 for all of their IEMs. That's also not some kind of secret.
Don't you think your statement that there are 4-5 different drivers is inconsistent with your previous statement that they are all the same? So, after all, they are different, but the same, and you were in production and saw that they were different, but you still claim that they are the same?
You broke my brain.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #4,856 of 4,909
The way I see it the truth is in the middle. The same driver can be equipped with different rear venting schemes, giving different damping characteristics and thus altering the behavior of the driver in a given enclosure (FR, THD, speed, phase variation, etc). Is it still the same driver? It is more a matter of definition - surely not something to quarell about.
Unfortunately, drivers' similarity has been used often as a proof of sound quality restriction which is a great oversimplification.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #4,857 of 4,909
I just can’t wrap my head around the “they’re same driver” topic or issue. There’s more into it than just the driver and the final product is always how it’s made to sounds and how it’s voiced + material used that will dictate its $ value. A good example is in speakers. Many big/small/boutique manufacturers use the same driver but the final product can cost a few hundred $ to a few thousand $$ and just because they use the same drivers doesn’t mean they will sound the same or will have similarity in sound. It just don’t work that way.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #4,859 of 4,909
I think Sennheiser has been using basically the 'same driver' since the HD 580 Precision (at least......).
Same driver to me refers to same membrane, voice coil, magnet system basically. True, they've been basically using the same driver platform since the HD 580 with various changes and tweaks The difference between the NDH-30 and HD 560S driver is minimal, they have the same membrane, voice coil, and magnet system. Where they differ is the damping and housing. There is a damping cap put on the NDH-30 whereas the HD 560S has a damping tube glued in the rear.

A good way to say if something is the same driver or not is if you can plop the driver in and add or remove the required external damping (damping cap, tube, etc.) and you basically have the same headphone. Different driver will be different voice coil, membrane, and/or magnet system.

The HD 560S vs NDH-30 driver is a bit different than the say the Beyer DT 880 - 32, 250, and 600 Ohm of the same model which use identical but different drivers where there are changes to the voice coil and even the magnet venting on some. The Beyers are an example of slightly different drivers being put in the exact same housing/damping scheme whereas the HD 560S and NDH-30 is basically the same driver being completely differently utilized.

The HD 660S and HD 660S2 is another good example of different drivers being put into the same housing, the differences between those is just the drivers.

Basically I view different drivers as something about the fundamental structure of the driver unit is changed and this is something that can't be modified.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back