Neumann NDH 30
Apr 23, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #2,011 of 4,914
I’ve realised why I don’t get enough impact and detail from my six series headphones - I don’t crank the volume enough!
Good eye….ignore the HDVD800 dial…this headphone set up is a few meters away from my listening position so the Cambridge CXN is set as a digital preamplifier so I can control the volume remotely.

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #2,014 of 4,914
After a few weeks spend with the HD660S2 and the NDH 30, I might sell the HD660S2 as well. It's a pretty tough choice and depending on your preferences you might prefer one over the other.

To me the 660S2 has that nice warm, fuzzy mid-range with a little edge to sharpen things up for the higher frequencies. But ultimately it sounds a bit flat compared to the NDH 30, I guess this is where the technical capabilities kick it up a notch. I had a single headphone that performed quite similar to the NDH 30 technically and that was the Hifiman Arya, the soundstage was something special on that headphone, it always depended on source just like the NDH 30, and with the proper recordings you could hear and literally visualize everything in the room of the recording. The resolving capabilities of both headphones help out tremendously in that regard as well.

Only the NDH 30 tuning is miles better than the Arya ever was, it might be bit controversial but the Arya had one of the most wonky FR I've ever heard, even EQ'ing could not get it to sound decent or relatively natural. Though this was the V2 and not the V3 with Stealth drivers so it might fare better now.

It takes a while to get used to the sound of the NDH 30 but when you do and it starts to click and you find the right recordings there's just an insight in recordings I've always dreamed of when I was younger, only to be disappointed that higher end headphones usually posses better detail retrieval and have a better balance (unless were taking it to TOTL headphones where they start to have certain sound signatures again but with crazy technicalities) but overall still sound a bit like a wall of sound. Whereas the NDH 30 can get so holographic that you can almost get lost in the sound. I used to be mostly interested in the width and height of sound in headphones, but depth is certainly is absolutely an essential aspect of the music that the NDH 30 captivates so very well as one of the very few dynamic drivers capable of such a feat.

Again I find the 660S2 an excellent headphone and for a decent discount it's almost a no-brainer, but the NDH 30 just fits in so well with the very best that manufacturers can offer it is almost scary. I think Neumann really struck gold with this one.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2,016 of 4,914
After a few weeks spend with the HD660S2 and the NDH 30, I might sell the HD660S2 as well. It's a pretty tough choice and depending on your preferences you might prefer one over the other.

To me the 660S2 has that nice warm, fuzzy mid-range with a little edge to sharpen things up for the higher frequencies. But ultimately it sounds a bit flat compared to the NDH 30, I guess this is where the technical capabilities kick it up a notch. I had a single headphone that performed quite similar to the NDH 30 technically and that was the Hifiman Arya, the soundstage was something special on that headphone, it always depended on source just like the NDH 30, and with the proper recordings you could hear and literally visualize everything in the room of the recording. The resolving capabilities of both headphones help out tremendously in that regard as well.

Only the NDH 30 tuning is miles better than the Arya ever was, it might be bit controversial but the Arya had one of the most wonky FR I've ever heard, even EQ'ing could not get it to sound decent or relatively natural. Though this was the V2 and not the V3 with Stealth drivers so it might fare better now.

It takes a while to get used to the sound of the NDH 30 but when you do and it starts to click and you find the right recordings there's just an insight in recordings I've always dreamed of when I was younger, only to be disappointed that higher end headphones usually posses better detail retrieval and have a better balance (unless were taking it to TOTL headphones where they start to have certain sound signatures again but with crazy technicalities) but overall still sound a bit like a wall of sound. Whereas the NDH 30 can get so holographic that you can almost get lost in the sound. I used to be mostly interested in the width and height of sound in headphones, but depth is certainly is absolutely an essential aspect of the music that the NDH 30 captivates so very well as one of the very few dynamic drivers capable of such a feat.

Again I find the 660S2 an excellent headphone and for a decent discount it's almost a no-brainer, but the NDH 30 just fits in so well with the very best that manufacturers can offer it is almost scary. I think Neumann really struck gold with this one.

The HD560S does that holographic thing too, at least for me its very apparent.

My 660S only sound good on a bassier source, and on a completely silent room, and its like that, you feel its a bit flat at first, them you relax and get used to it.

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #2,017 of 4,914

My 660S only sound good on a bassier source, and on a completely silent room, and its like that, you feel its a bit flat at first, them you relax and get used to it.
None HD5XX - HD6XX - cannot sound holographic.
It's not physically possible, just physics - their specifications, design and construction can't do it.
These are just your illusions and fantasies. Or just auditory hallucinations.

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #2,019 of 4,914
He’s comparing the HD660S2 and the NDH 30 directly, so if he says that the later can sound very holographic then surely the natural assumption must be that the NDH 30 is much better than the S2 in this respect, no? Note that he didn’t say that the S2 cannot or does not sound holographic at all, but that it’s very noticeable (and therefore more obviously noticeable) on the NDH 30.
That’s the power/traction of direct comparisons, even though a person’s overall assessment remains subjective.

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #2,020 of 4,914
Woke up to Big Eater - The Bad Plus. Made me got up quick straight to NDH 30 listening. What a gem of a find.

thebadplus.jpg

Apr 23, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #2,021 of 4,914
He’s comparing the HD660S2 and the NDH 30 directly, so if he says that the later can sound very holographic then surely the natural assumption must be that the NDH 30 is much better than the S2 in this respect, no? Note that he didn’t say that the S2 cannot or does not sound holographic at all, but that it’s very noticeable (and therefore more obviously noticeable) on the NDH 30.
That’s the power/traction of direct comparisons, even though a person’s overall assessment remains subjective.

I guess the angled driver contributes a lot.

When I first listened to the 660S and 560S side by side it was clear to me that the 560 was almost 3D in comparison.

Apr 23, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #2,022 of 4,914
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,023 of 4,914
Got a custom Cardas XLR cable from Fog City to utilize my other amps like V280 and Singxer SA1. Would recommend for anyone interested. Made a quick chat request on the website and made/shipped within a day or two.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #2,024 of 4,914
I haven't had the HD600 in a while. But I do know I felt more impressed by the NDH-30 than I did the HD600 after listening to each for a bit.
Ask yourself: “When listening via headphones, do I want to be impressed or to be moved?”

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,025 of 4,914
Got a custom Cardas XLR cable from Fog City to utilize my other amps like V280 and Singxer SA1. Would recommend for anyone interested. Made a quick chat request on the website and made/shipped within a day or two.
They do good work, except I wish their sleeve was a bit more sturdy.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back