Neumann NDH 30
Apr 5, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #1,756 of 4,883
Hey I notice you have an R70X in your collection. Any thoughts on how it compares to NDH30/HD600/HD660S? I've been wanting to hear one of these for a while, even though I realize it's probably redundant in my collection (?) Do you like it?
Hopefully will be able to hear the NDH-30 this weekend actually. Compared to the HD 600 and HD 660 S, it depends on the mood and the system which I like more, so it's hard to say what I like more overall.

It is definitely in the vein of the HD 6xx series, but there are some subtle and more noticeable presentation differences. Most noticeable differences will be related to the soundstage (more spherical and wider) and imaging (handily beats the HD 600 and HD 660 S in this regard at least on more modest equipment) and also the extension (it actually has sub-bass presence). One of the drawbacks is it doesn't seem to be quite as resolving in the mids as the HD 6xx series. There seems to be a slight softening effect on the mids on the headphone. It's more airy in it's presentation and it's upper mids are a bit calmer than the HD 600. Treble like the HD 6xx line is basically problem free at least to my ears. I haven't compared them on high end gear, it's possible my impressions will change.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #1,757 of 4,883
Hopefully will be able to hear the NDH-30 this weekend actually. Compared to the HD 600 and HD 660 S, it depends on the mood and the system which I like more, so it's hard to say what I like more overall.

It is definitely in the vein of the HD 6xx series, but there are some subtle and more noticeable presentation differences. Most noticeable differences will be related to the soundstage (more spherical and wider) and imaging (handily beats the HD 600 and HD 660 S in this regard at least on more modest equipment) and also the extension (it actually has sub-bass presence). One of the drawbacks is it doesn't seem to be quite as resolving in the mids as the HD 6xx series. There seems to be a slight softening effect on the mids on the headphone. It's more airy in it's presentation and it's upper mids are a bit calmer than the HD 600. Treble like the HD 6xx line is basically problem free at least to my ears. I haven't compared them on high end gear, it's possible my impressions will change.
I appreciate your response. I may buy one to try out one of these days. Still very much intrigued. Thanks, pal

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #1,758 of 4,883
Thanks!
I also used to own the OG Clear, but sold it probably about a year ago. It never got too much headtime. It's weird how I can actually genuinely like a can, and still not be enthused enough to unpack it and listen. I've arrived at that place with my Auteur. Once I get off my lazy ass, I'll list that too.
I also sold my Auteur and OG Clear quite a while ago, got my hands on the new LCD-X, Hifiman Arya and Heddphone in that time as well that were also sold lol.

I remember the Focal being really nice, it was comfy, a tad heavy, very premium feeling, and had a very agile sound. It had a pretty interesting signature sound, very bouncy, dynamic and a bit zingy and metallic sounding, those drivers could take insane levels of bass and despite some THD graphs I've seen, it wouldn't sound distorted or perhaps it just sounded very interesting because of the harmonics that would spiral out of control in a very subwoofer kind of way without sounding muddy.

Eventually I sold it as those alcantara pads get grimy real quick and cost a fortune. Driver longevity is also not exactly Focal's strong point with headphones and speakers alike. Tonally I think they were quite balanced and did it better than the vast majority of sub 2K headphones during that time.

However I'm glad we now got offerings that are just as good or better for a fraction of the price, I'm not even remotely considering going above a $1000 budget for headphones anymore with fanastic offerings such as the HD 660S2, NDH 30 and Meze 109 Pro.

Apr 6, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #1,759 of 4,883
I'm not even remotely considering going above a $1000 budget for headphones anymore with fanastic offerings such as the HD 660S2, NDH 30 and Meze 109 Pro
Yeah, I feel that.

The few HPs I now own that are in the >1k range I own not just because they sound great, but because they are sort of "statement pieces" and showcase some amazing workmanship and gorgeous materials. My Verite and Atrium are both literal works of art IMO. But to listen, my preferences right now lean more in the direction of the HD600 family, the NDH30, HE6se, and when I'm deep in a listening session with any of the above, I really don't think I'm missing out on anything. They're just so engaging and enjoyable. There's so much value in this price bracket nowadays. You really don't need to venture into the higher reaches of the price spectrum.

I wish I didn't have such an aversion to the looks of the Meze 109 Pro. I find that thing to be absolutely hideous. Maybe I'll try it one day, but probably not before an R70x.

I'm also having a lot of fun with the new Nectar Ambrosia, which is the best-tuned Nectar headphone so far and has very strong technicalities. Also, in the same price bracket with NDH30, etc...

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,760 of 4,883
It could still help to run off of the balanced output, but to be truly balanced, you'll need to get a cable that terminates in a balanced connector (4.4mm pentacon, 4-pin XLR, etc.) which will probably need to be custom - I believe you can use any cable for the Sennheiser HD560, HD6, HD7, or HD8 DJ MIX, just be aware that the headphone end needs to be quite slim and long to fit the NDH30/20.
The cable from the HD6, HD7, and HD8 DJ M is possibly balanced, but has three-pin connectors on both sides:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230406-164209_(1).png
    Screenshot_20230406-164209_(1).png
    853.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #1,761 of 4,883
I spent a good bit of time immersing myself in some of my favorite tracks last night with the NDH30, with some swapping out for the Atrium and HD660S2.

One thing that this session got me thinking about is that accuracy can mean a few different things when we discuss a headphone's ability to faithfully reproduce source material. In addition to having an incredibly accurate frequency response, I was getting such a strong sense of the Neumann's facility in reproducing dynamic swings. This was to the point where I was starting to question certain mix decisions the engineer had made on some tracks. Like, "wow that synth line that just came in was about 2db too loud" or, "I'd love to get just a touch more of that background vocal, if only it was a little louder in the mix, and panned a touch further to the right so it would stand on its own a bit more."

Switching back to the 660S2 and Atrium I'd focus on these same details, and notice how these headphones were just glossing over these kinds of dynamic inconsistencies. To be sure, both of those other cans sounded fantastic also, but this exercise really underscored the fact that the NDH30 is, first and foremost, a tool for mixing/recording/production, and it wouldn't be worth its salt if it didn't pick apart the mix in such a surgical, precise way. It was quite fun and illuminating.

When listening to a lot of my music on NDH30 it sounds like a compressor effect has been removed from the track, like the dynamics have opened up significantly. This helps to separate and "unsquish" the different vocal and instrument tracks so you can distinctly hear everything.

I really wish I still had my Utopia so I could compare to the NDH30, but I traded it about a month ago :frowning2:

I'd be very curious if anybody else in this thread has Utopia and NDH30 for comparison? Or maybe this has already been done, and I missed it earlier in the thread...

I have tried NDH30 and to me OG Utopia which I owned for many years is a good tier above against Neuman which can't match Utopias dynamics, imaging and detail retrieval. I compared it against OG Clear and while Neuman had better bass, smoother presentation it lacks stage depth and liveliness of Clear. NDH30 is a good HP, but did not kill an eager to repurchase Utopias as I hoped for. Subjectively it lands in 4-5th place out of the hp's that I've owned

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,762 of 4,883
@Rob80b I'm listening to Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad album on the 30's via the HDVD800. Jaw dropping good. Do you know the album? Definitely worth checking out if you don't. Great music and great recording - highly recommended. Will probably sound great on that other Sennheiser you have as well, I'm sure....... :wink:

Apr 6, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #1,763 of 4,883
@Rob80b I'm listening to Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad album on the 30's via the HDVD800. Jaw dropping good. Do you know the album? Definitely worth checking out if you don't. Great music and great recording - highly recommended. Will probably sound great on that other Sennheiser you have as well, I'm sure....... :wink:
It does.

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #1,764 of 4,883
I not only know the album Mike but it’s one of my two reference albums along w/ Two Against Nature, when it comes to trying out new headphones. All of Steely Dan’s and Fagen’s albums are very well produced and their sound quality is first class. BTW, this album in particular was produced by the late Walter Becker the other half of this iconic musical duo. The critics panned this album for the most part and to this day, it still baffles me. I’m listening to my NDH 30s as I’m writing this and I’m now inspired to listen to Kamakiriad next which, is what I’ll do. 👍

9961C801-F1FF-415D-B4C8-735EEA72B07D.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #1,766 of 4,883
Steely Dan albums let me always realise that the HD600 has the most organic / analogue sounding mids, period. You can't beat it. 🙂
I concur. I haven’t been without an HD600 since I bought my first pair back in 2003. About the best mids on the market regardless of price. Tyll Hertsens still had the HD600 on his WOF when he retired in 2018 precisely for that reason. 👍 Edit : I’m just realizing now that it was 20 years ago this year.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #1,768 of 4,883
I not only know the album Mike but it’s one of my two reference albums along w/ Two Against Nature, when it comes to trying out new headphones. All of Steely Dan’s and Fagen’s albums are very well produced and their sound quality is first class. BTW, this album in particular was produced by the late Walter Becker the other half of this iconic musical duo. The critics panned this album for the most part and to this day, it still baffles me. I’m listening to my NDH 30s as I’m writing this and I’m now inspired to listen to Kamakiriad next which, is what I’ll do. 👍

I think I have all of Donald Fagen, Walter Becker and Steely Dan's albums on CD. Enjoy Kamakiriad on the 30's! It's sooo good. Every small detail in the complex mix as clear as day, and so naturally and engagingly presented. And the bass, the bass! Clean, extended, finely detailed..... For me the NDH30 is everything the HD800 should have and wanted to be, but wasn't.

Nice CD player BTW! :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #1,769 of 4,883

9961C801-F1FF-415D-B4C8-735EEA72B07D.jpeg
Are the settings visible here on the lokius used for the NDH 30??

Users who are viewing this thread

• G0rt
Back