Neumann NDH 30
Feb 24, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #602 of 5,008
Got the balanced Cardas cable from Fog City. With 0 burn in, the sound is bigger, taller and grander. Each note took on more weight and greater level of harmonic. The bass is deeper and more articulate. The overall sound can be characterized by a sense of ease. Everything just sounds more integrated - like live music. This is like when you add a couple of 12in subs in your 2 channel, suddenly everything just comes together - that's what I am hearing from the balanced cable. I am impressed.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #603 of 5,008
That it is, honestly the best headphone I ever had the pleasure of listening to. Some people call it the Stradivarius of headphones for a reason.
Yeah, I had one of the last made to order pairs. A friend ordered it for me along with one for himself. 24xx serial # range. I had it paired with a Cary 300SEI. I honestly dont think anything compared with that thing, though senn 600s sounded pretty f-n great on the Cary. Makes me contemplate to hold out for a atrium, but I dont listen to music nearly as much as when I did when I had the Cary and R-10s.

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #604 of 5,008
Yeah, I had one of the last made to order pairs. A friend ordered it for me along with one for himself. 24xx serial # range. I had it paired with a Cary 300SEI. I honestly dont think anything compared with that thing, though senn 600s sounded pretty f-n great on the Cary. Makes me contemplate to hold out for a atrium, but I dont listen to music nearly as much as when I did when I had the Cary and R-10s.
The entire ZMF open dynamic line (okay, to be fair just Atrium, Vertie, and Autuer Classic) has been superseded by NDH30 in terms of sound quality, IMO. I do like their stabilized wood, not gonna lie.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #606 of 5,008
Thats a bold statement. If its true then f-n amazeballs.
I can only give you my view - I mean ZMF does have a "sound" that many people like, notwithstanding technicalities. NDH30 is the most impressive cans I have heard since Utopia in terms of pushing the state of the art forward. The best pat of this is that it's so easy to hear one for yourself - free Amazon return rocks.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #609 of 5,008
The entire ZMF open dynamic line (okay, to be fair just Atrium, Vertie, and Autuer Classic) has been superseded by NDH30 in terms of sound quality, IMO
I have my first ZMF onboard right now, and my first HD800/S. I'm sure my equipment isn't maximizing them, nor the NDH 30, but I am much less impressed(if at all) with Auteur and HD800S compared to NDH 30. No chance would I trade NDH 30 for both of them.

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #610 of 5,008
Surely in jest!... it's not the doubling of power going to the headphones?
Same power requirement if you play at the same SPL, regardless of single ended or bridged. Bridged does provide 2x slew rate, 50% distortion of single ended, 0 crosstalk and other benefits.

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #611 of 5,008
I have my first ZMF onboard right now, and my first HD800/S. I'm sure my equipment isn't maximizing them, nor the NDH 30, but I am much less impressed(if at all) with Auteur and HD800S compared to NDH 30. No chance would I trade NDH 30 for both of them.
Once again sounds good, and soon I will see for myself. Tuesday so Sweetwater says... 😎

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #612 of 5,008
The entire ZMF open dynamic line (okay, to be fair just Atrium, Vertie, and Autuer Classic) has been superseded by NDH30 in terms of sound quality, IMO. I do like their stabilized wood, not gonna lie.
It's funny how more and more listeners come to the same conclusion: The sound quality of the NDH 30 is much more "expensive" than its cost. Actually this level of quality would make any headphone sonically successful, no matter its price. @Ichos wrote in his review (translated from Greek) "...it gave us unique moments of enjoyment and pleasure, so much so that we would not have the slightest hesitation to choose it among other clearly more established and more expensive headphones..." among other unusually flattering comments. I read that review completely by chance on my way to the dealer to audition the NDH 30. At that moment I thought "ok, this is hi-fi magazine hype", only to be floored later, after an hour and a half long listening and comparing it with the HD 650. As a matter of fact I was not prepared at all for the fact that any headphone could sound so much better than the HD-650 (an excellent example of the 650 with new pads of course). After two days I bought that same pair that I auditioned, to be even more impressed at home with my electronics. The NDH 30 is a rare case of a headphone!

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #613 of 5,008
It's funny how more and more listeners come to the same conclusion: The sound quality of the NDH 30 is much more "expensive" than its cost. Actually this level of quality would make any headphone sonically successful, no matter its price. @Ichos wrote in his review (translated from Greek) "...it gave us unique moments of enjoyment and pleasure, so much so that we would not have the slightest hesitation to choose it among other clearly more established and more expensive headphones..." among other unusually flattering comments. I read that review completely by chance on my way to the dealer to audition the NDH 30. At that moment I thought "ok, this is hi-fi magazine hype", only to be floored later, after an hour and a half long listening and comparing it with the HD 650. As a matter of fact I was not prepared at all for the fact that any headphone could sound so much better than the HD-650 (an excellent example of the 650 with new pads of course). After two days I bought that same pair that I auditioned, to be even more impressed at home with my electronics. The NDH 30 is a rare case of a headphone!
It's clear I am not a reviewer :sweat_smile: My writing is like a sledgehammer, "if you are looking for the best dynamics in the market today, there are only 3 headphones (grouped into 2 flavors) you need to consider: Utopia on the one side and Pulsar and NDH30 on the other side. The sad truth is that both Utopia and Pulsar are woefully overpriced if you are considering only quality of reproduction. NDH30 costs about the same as the tax you pay if you buy one of the other 2 options."

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #614 of 5,008
It's funny that when I wrote and shouted about these NDH30 as the most incredible to date - almost no one listened to me in this thread)))
As soon as I got very busy and couldn't visit this thread often for more than two months - everyone started trying and admiring them...)))

But that's fine, I just don't know how to convince people in a standard way. I need to take by the ear and forcibly force before someone starts to believe)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back