Neumann NDH 30
Feb 25, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #617 of 5,010
@Rob80b just to clarify, the NDH 20 is the closed back version of the NHD 30 but it is not in any way its sonic equivalent. I enjoy them for their isolation, clean, seemingly bottomless bass, almost total lack of THD throughout the frequency spectrum (not just at 1kHz) and non-fatiguing mids and treble. However they are bass heavy (good for movies and listening at low volumes) and the upper mids are recessed (good for avoiding the troublesome resonances in that region common to closed backs, especially those that seal and isolate well). A very enjoyable and natural/neutralish sound, but certainly not flat.
The NDH 30 on the other hand are a completely different beast. I’m glad you’re enjoying your new 660S2 - that, at the end of the day, is what it’s all about, but I have to say that I have no desire to try them anytime soon. Despite good reports of the new headphone it does seem to be an upgrade to the 6 series, rather than a new headphone in a completely different class. I can only say that you should give the NDH 30 a try. It won’t take anything away from your 660S2, but they might replace your 800S! 😉

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #618 of 5,010
With NDH 20 it is absolutely impossible to work with sound. This is a complete distortion of the sound. For music it might be more normal, but it's still wrong.
NHD 30 is already a different class and here you can work correctly and accurately with sound and of course, better listening to music.
If you need accurate and correct closed ones with a sound like the NHD 30, then your choice for reasonable money is only se846
It will be great for audio work and much better for music than the NDH 20.
This is reality

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #619 of 5,010
The NDH 30 is a rare case of a headphone!
After a day and a half I really have to agree.

Honeymoon period so take these comments with a grain of salt but:

Brilliant headphone, dare I say it’s what I wanted the HD800S to be. I got them expecting the comparison to be against the HD6## series but I got that wrong.

Driver matching is spot on, I’ve been super sensitive to this recently but these are pretty much perfect.

Sound is the closest I’ve heard to monitors at any price point, they’ve done a very good job.

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #620 of 5,010
When I wrote that NHD 30 is better than HD800S and accurately described why - there were those who scolded me for these words.
Now I see the time of change in minds has come)))

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #621 of 5,010
I don’t know if I’d say they’re technically better, I’ll need to do some comparisons, they’re just closer to what I was expecting the HD800S to be way back when I bought them.

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #622 of 5,010
When I wrote that NHD 30 is better than HD800S and accurately described why - there were those who scolded me for these words.
Now I see the time of change in minds has come)))
You were scolded for completely different reasons, that you chose to ignore.

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #623 of 5,010
@Rob80b just to clarify, the NDH 20 is the closed back version of the NHD 30 but it is not in any way its sonic equivalent.
Hi Mike...of that I'm aware..never did get to bottom of things if indeed the 20 driver is a modified HD630 driver, which rumour has it, originated from the Sennheiser HD500 series, but the single diaphragm incorporated in the 30 is new as is the new voice coil on the HD660S2 driver.
Either way the 20 and 30 are both fashioned around the HD630 enclosure... so that in itself is interesting getting the foot to fit the shoe with the NDH30.
NHD 30 but it is not in any way its sonic equivalent.
Anyway I regress...you have them both on hand but my side by side audition with them did easily IMHO show a close family resemblance but one being open the other closed. I would obviously need to hear them again but on better equipment but in many ways I'd almost put the new Sennheiser HD660S2 in the middle.:)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #624 of 5,010
Well, temptation and curiosity has finally got the better of me and I’ve just ordered a second NDH 30. I’m gonna blame @chesebert for that! 😉
Actually they are B-stock from Thomann, so cheaper and no moral problems with returning them if I simply decide not to keep two. It will be interesting to compare them with the excellent example I have and see if I can hear any difference. I’m pretty sure I will be able to as I’ve never heard any two identical sets of headphones, but it will be interesting to see what the differences are. I’ll report back in a few weeks!

Feb 25, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #625 of 5,010
so I made the trip to the shop and tried their sample NDH-30. My ears are not the best but I couldn't hear any difference. The guys in the shop haven't heard about bad copies yet. If I'm unlucky I compared two "wonky" hps, but I rather think mine is okay.
I listened with an UAD Apollo Twin 4 and the sound was amazing, better then home so this will start another process...

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #627 of 5,010
and not the HD660S2? : ) ....but why are they B stock? :triportsad:
Well, it was partly to do with wondering about getting (yet) another flavour 6 series, but to be honest I just thought that I’d rather have a second NDH 30 (for less money). I do suspect that the price of the Sennheisers will drop, but that the price of the Neumanns will only rise. Time will tell……..

They’re B-stock because they’re returns, so opened and tried, but Thomann frequently has B-stock items of every description, so that’s nothing necessarily to worry about. The final arbiter will be my ears, so I don’t feel nervous about getting them.

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #628 of 5,010
and not the HD660S2? : ) ....but why are they B stock? :triportsad:
Already have comparisons between HD 660S2 and NDH-30?
Someone already wrote about the impressions between them?
I may have missed something. It would be interesting to understand the difference.

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #629 of 5,010
Hi Mike...of that I'm aware..never did get to bottom of things if indeed the 20 driver is a modified HD630 driver, which rumour has it, originated from the Sennheiser HD500 series, but the single diaphragm incorporated in the 30 is new as is the new voice coil on the HD660S2 driver.
Either way the 20 and 30 are both fashioned around the HD630 enclosure... so that in itself is interesting getting the foot to fit the shoe with the NDH30.

Anyway I regress...you have them both on hand but my side by side audition with them did easily IMHO show a close family resemblance but one being open the other closed. I would obviously need to hear them again but on better equipment but in many ways I'd almost put the new Sennheiser HD660S2 in the middle.:)
Well, you’ll just have to try them for yourself! 😉

But one thing I’m fairly certain of is that the only thing that the HD630 has in common with the NDH 30 is the headband and yokes! 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back