Neumann NDH 30
Apr 3, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #1,682 of 4,920
I have never bothered to change cables on my headphones. But I have made exhaustive tests and comparisons with many analogue interconnects between expensive devices of very revealing character and never, I mean n e v e r, have I heard the slightest difference between them. Compared cables were anything from € 500 per meter down to the cheapest included-in-the-box cable, with several of intermediate price and some well made, hand assembled ones. Moreover, physics (its my studies) have proved many ways that there can be no difference in the audible spectrum (and far above), between adequately constructed interconnect cables. The whole cable thing has always been a marketing trick and a very successful one. ("Trick" is a mild word).
However, differences between dacs (even between moderately expensive ones) and between some headphone amplifiers, have been easily audible to me.
I never say something is audible if it is not well confirmed by blind tests. Consistent blind confirmation or it never happened.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #1,683 of 4,920
The quality of the cable and its design are only important for sound recording.
The standard cable to NDH 30 is already the best. You can make the cable more convenient, attractive and pleasant with other connectors necessary for your equipment. But it won't improve the sound. If you were able to improve it and you hear this improvement all the time and not depending on the mood and time of the day, then you are a winner)))

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #1,684 of 4,920
I have never bothered to change cables on my headphones. But I have made exhaustive tests and comparisons with many analogue interconnects between expensive devices of very revealing character and never, I mean n e v e r, have I heard the slightest difference between them. Compared cables were anything from € 500 per meter down to the cheapest included-in-the-box cable, with several of intermediate price and some well made, hand assembled ones. Moreover, physics (its my studies) have proved many ways that there can be no difference in the audible spectrum (and far above), between adequately constructed interconnect cables. The whole cable thing has always been a marketing trick and a very successful one. ("Trick" is a mild word).
However, differences between dacs (even between moderately expensive ones) and between some headphone amplifiers, have been easily audible to me.
I never say something is audible if it is not well confirmed by blind tests. Consistent blind confirmation or it never happened.
I've heard differences between digital cables (connecting a CD transport to DAC). That's probably due to different amounts of data loss I guess...... but Coax and Optical certainly sound different. Also differences between different Coax cables. No differences between different Optical cable.

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #1,685 of 4,920
I've heard differences between digital cables (connecting a CD transport to DAC). That's probably due to different amounts of data loss I guess...... but Coax and Optical certainly sound different. Also differences between different Coax cables. No differences between different Optical cable.
Digital cables can have an effect because impedance mismatching can increase jitter a little. Then it can be down to how well the receiving equipment can suppress the jitter. They are not losing data. It they did you would hear very noticeable dropouts.

Most cable effects are imagined. Sometimes there can be RF and EMI issues that cause a very subtle effect, and more often circulating ground currents can give un-balanced connections trouble when the equipment and its PSU you designed without thought. But headphones are unlikely to be part of this as there is no current from your head to your amp. If there was you would feel it.

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #1,686 of 4,920
Digital cables can have an effect because impedance mismatching can increase jitter a little. Then it can be down to how well the receiving equipment can suppress the jitter. They are not losing data. It they did you would hear very noticeable dropouts.
Yes, jitter, not data loss! Thanks for the correction.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #1,687 of 4,920
Just now a direct side-to-side comparison of NDH 30 and MM-500
Hi-Res + AUDIRVANA STUDIO + Sound Devices MixPre-6 II = I personally think the NDH 30 sounds better in every way. The sound is more delicate, natural and refined. And most importantly, despite the strong neck, I will not be able to work and enjoy music normally with the weight on my head like the MM-500. NDH 30 - for maximum comfort weight. They just don't feel on the head.
But MM-500 looks very solid, qualitatively, beautiful and professional ! But looks, as many say, can be deceiving)))

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,688 of 4,920
Fatoumata Diawara, Toumani Diabaté & Sidiki Diabaté - Lamomali (2017) [24-96]
French sounds very sexy)

folder.jpg

Apr 3, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #1,689 of 4,920
I have already got used to all the extremes of sound from the NDH 30 in the good sense of these words.
But the only thing that still amazes me and is unusual in comparison with more expensive "competitors" is the sound resolution over the entire frequency range in the NDH 30 - it's just incredible and I think that this is their most important sound difference from all other headphones.

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #1,690 of 4,920

Most cable effects are imagined. Sometimes there can be RF and EMI issues that cause a very subtle effect, and more often circulating ground currents can give un-balanced connections trouble when the equipment and its PSU you designed without thought. But headphones are unlikely to be part of this as there is no current from your head to your amp. If there was you would feel it.

I gotta say when I see people talking about their cables pre and then post burn in, I really just gotta shake my head and chuckle.

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #1,694 of 4,920
1680526866930.png

Single-segment RLC model for a three-wire system driven by two voltage sources (ie headphones). While you all think wire is a wire, it is actually represented by a RLC circuit in the simplest form and even more complex circuit when you take into account secondary effects. Different cable geometries and materials will affect the different circuit element values. While these values are generally small and can be ignored when you design a circuit for simplicity purposes, there are nevertheless actual effects on the circuit. Just FYI.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #1,695 of 4,920

Users who are viewing this thread

Back