Neumann NDH 20
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #391 of 830
Well, beastly enough :) Im in the process of reviewing the new Burson Swing Amp - Ive finished the review of the base unit - Now I have the upgraded DAC chips
Its a stunning sounding amp: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/swing/

@jon parker,

I am aware of the Swing, it is actually on my list to demo though what config I will get to play with, I'm not sure or when.
Personally, I still have a particular fondness for the Soloist M2 but as I have two amps which sound very close to the SM2 either way, it will be more to add to the collection than anything else...maybe one day.

I don't suppose you tried the RNHP yet ? That amp really pairs well with anything.

Hope you have a great day !

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #392 of 830
@jon parker,

I am aware of the Swing, it is actually on my list to demo though what config I will get to play with, I'm not sure or when.
Personally, I still have a particular fondness for the Soloist M2 but as I have two amps which sound very close to the SM2 either way, it will be more to add to the collection than anything else...maybe one day.

I don't suppose you tried the RNHP yet ? That amp really pairs well with anything.

Even the stock Swing impressed me mightily. I think I might have heard the RNHP in London a while back. I have a Neve Pre-amp in the studio - lovely :)
I still have an old Neco soundlabs portable amp which is stunning. Unfortunately I am not very blessed in the financial department so Amps are a bit tricky for me!
I still own and love the Little Dot hybrid SS/Tube amp - Once you found the right tubes for it - oh! and with the upgraded DAC chips from Burson...punches way above its weight. I love tubes.
Love this hobby :)

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #393 of 830
Thanks guys, im trying to decide between these and another pair of headphones. Hard to decide lol

Just buy everything you want, and only keep everything you really like.
Buy a headphone.......... totally prepared to hate it.
That is really the smart play, as if you are always expecting to love it, you will be disappointed more often then you will be satisfied.
So, go into the purchase hopeful but with fairly low expectations, and this will allow you a more balanced perspective once you strap them on your head for an initial test drive.

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #394 of 830
Out of curiosity I will definitely audition these when I get a chance. Gotta see if the latest hype train is real or just Zeos and Fullbright talking these up.

I would never knowingly mislead you, but, it is impossible for you to know if you will like the Neumann's , unless you spend some real quality time with them.
The Quads and the Neumann's are the 2 recent headphones that are not what you normally expect to hear.
Both of them, have a unique sound.
In both cases, you can't really say....>>"ok, this sounds like a Senn, and this sounds like a Hifiman, or Beyer, or AudioTech, or LCD-X.......etc.
Both of those headphones sound a little different then you are going to expect, regarding their sound sig.
Not everyone can deal with them......... Those who can, love them, and those who can't will never.
Try.
Maybe you will love them.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #395 of 830
Hi @FullBright1,

As always, well said !

Keep up the good work !

Hopefully one day your PMs will get reinstated...be good to have actual conversations then...

Nice to hear from you.
well, Brian is not going to release my PM box.
He told me that because i sometimes get reported on the forum, my continuing punishment is to be restricted to only posts and Threads and no PM privileges.
So, nothing i can do about that...
I gave him my word i would not argue with anyone inside their PM box ever again, if he would lift my ban as its been a YEAR !!! , and he yawned and that was the end of our conversation.

Have fun :)

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #396 of 830
@modernarchitect
as @PaganDL most elegant and excellent post says - it depends on what you like!

However I would add the following:

> The NDH 20 is a professional tool and as such is tuned that way. Its possible a 'regular HiFi' listener may not like or fully appreciate them for what they have to offer

> They remind me very much of the sound of studio monitor speakers -

:)

Similar to the Quads. Yet the Neumann's are moreso tuned to emulate, as much as they can, the idea of how a studio monitor would sound, it if is a set of headphones.
And this is their glory and also their potential fatal flaw.......in that, the standard audiophile set of ears, is not prepared for how they sound.
Even the CEO of Neumann states they their secondary reason to exist is for audiophile pleasure, but its not their first...
However, they do offer a critical listener a unique listening experience.

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #397 of 830
Similar to the Quads. Yet the Neumann's are moreso tuned to emulate, as much as they can, the idea of how a studio monitor would sound, it if is a set of headphones.
And this is their glory and also their potential fatal flaw.......in that, the standard audiophile set of ears, is not prepared for how they sound.
Even the CEO of Neumann states they their secondary reason to exist is for audiophile pleasure, but its not their first...
However, they do offer a critical listener a unique listening experience.

And as sound engineer and an Audiophile I am enjoy them both in each arena
I think though that some might need to do some 'tip'/DAP/Amp type of rolling to find the right synergy for them but, as I say, they are deceptively versatile
Tantalisingly mysterious!
Really looking forward to giving them to some of my Engineer friends for feedback

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #398 of 830
Nice to hear from you.
well, Brian is not going to release my PM box.
He told me that because i sometimes get reported on the forum, my continuing punishment is to be restricted to only posts and Threads and no PM privileges.
So, nothing i can do about that...
I gave him my word i would not argue with anyone inside their PM box ever again, if he would lift my ban as its been a YEAR !!! , and he yawned and that was the end of our conversation.

Have fun :)

Always nice to hear from you too, @FullBright1,

Figured as much, not your fault in any way, just keep being amazing & awesome with that interesting insight...maybe one day you'll get reinstated...but like you, not going to hold my breath on that but never hurts to keep trying...

Sadly, that's the problem with the internet as I believe we both mentioned before as did the Internet's Creator himself said on a recent anniversary speech a few months ago & what he was horrified by people have done with his creation, social media being one among many...

Sadly, as we all know, people will state their opinons because they can & if someone else doesn't agree then it's just easy to ban &/or block them.
Such is life, is it not...

As said before, just keep patiently waiting...you never know...

By the way, not sure if you be interested but you might like Freya Ridings if you haven't already come across her music.

Anyway, chat to you another time.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #399 of 830
And as sound engineer and an Audiophile I am enjoy them both in each arena
I think though that some might need to do some 'tip'/DAP/Amp type of rolling to find the right synergy for them but, as I say, they are deceptively versatile
Tantalisingly mysterious!
Really looking forward to giving them to some of my Engineer friends for feedback

Yes.
They are originally created for people who work with "sound".
unique gear.

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #403 of 830
I just love these headphones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back