Netherlands meet, July 8th
Jun 17, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #166 of 272
ear participants in a cupboard; -) beautiful bling bling
blink.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #168 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ook al haal ik nooit echt K1000 niveau blijft het gewoon lekkerder luisteren.
smily_headphones1.gif

True, however i never been much of a speaker-guy (although at Inda & Bart's meet your set-up amazed me, something about it just hit me, 'simple' but very very effective) but the biggest plus of headphones is its personal touch.

They drag you into the music with their 'up close and personal' sound. They hold your attention to the music a lot more than speakers.

That is also why, in the few minutes i spend with each, i prefer the ED9 above the K1000, even though the K1000 might sound 'better'.

(This is the case with me, i can imagine others think different about this)

[EDIT] Btw, those a some sweet looking drivers, i wonder how they shall sound.

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #169 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, however i never been much of a speaker-guy (although at Inda & Bart's meet your set-up amazed me, something about it just hit me, 'simple' but very very effective) but the biggest plus of headphones is its personal touch.

They drag you into the music with their 'up close and personal' sound. They hold your attention to the music a lot more than speakers.

That is also why, in the few minutes i spend with each, i prefer the ED9 above the K1000, even though the K1000 might sound 'better'.

(This is the case with me, i can imagine others think different about this)

[EDIT] Btw, those a some sweet looking drivers, i wonder how they shall sound.

Headphones do have a bit more personal sound, but you still have something on your head and the bass isn't really "there". I don't know, headphones are kind of like watching tv. You get to see the motion and hear it, but you don't feel it. Speakers really put you there with the band and that's what I like about them so much.

My setup sounded pretty decent in my opinion at the meet because I was able to avoid showing their weak points.
evil_smiley.gif

The highs of them are great -- that ribbon tweeter is doing it's job fabulously. I'm not too happy with the woofer though, throw a bit of difficult bass passages with quickly changing bass notes and they tend to get confused and make a big fat mess of it. That might not be the speakers though, my amp can be the cause of that because it's not that powerful.

That's why I'm building a pair of single driver speakers. Single driver speakers have the great advantage of not needing a big crossover and having only a single driver, making them very easy to drive. This really shows when music gets complex, as they will just sail through with ease.

And oh, do you recognize the drivers from somewhere? Logitech actually uses their smaller brother in the Z-2300/5300 series.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #170 of 272
What is the design of the *???????* (... euh , wth is "klank-kast" in english
confused.gif
), i guess it wont be sleek woodies like the ones you showed.

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #171 of 272
Quote:

That's why I'm building a pair of single driver speakers.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been eyeing The Horn Shoppe for quite some time now …

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #172 of 272
Quote:

What is the design of the *???????* (... euh , wth is "klank-kast" in english
confused.gif
), i guess it wont be sleek woodies like the ones you showed.

http://www.iamrik.com/stick/sketchup/6.jpg
http://www.iamrik.com/stick/sketchup/5.jpg
http://www.iamrik.com/stick/sketchup/4.jpg
http://www.iamrik.com/stick/sketchup/3.jpg
http://www.iamrik.com/stick/sketchup/2.jpg
http://www.iamrik.com/stick/sketchup/1.jpg

Not quite as sleek, though with a nice veneer and piano finish, it'll still be a nice speaker to see.
smily_headphones1.gif

Measures quite alright too:
2.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been eyeing The Horn Shoppe for quite some time now …

The Fe126e drivers that The Horn Shoppe uses are roughly €140 a pair. I recon you can build a set of horns that'll match those using the same drivers for just under €200. DIY is a great thing.
biggrin.gif

They have gotten great reviews though and are priced decently, considering the hours that go into building them.

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #173 of 272
'The Tower' vs 'Sleek Woodie'

FIGHT!

*lots of noise*

*ding ding*

The Tower wins ! ! !

Serious, piano finished towers are (IMO) the best looking speakers there are.
My grandfather has some high-end towers (can't remember name though), black piano finish included, and every time i walk past it i just freeze for a moment and look at that beauty.

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #174 of 272
Quote:

'The Tower' vs 'Sleek Woodie'

FIGHT!

*lots of noise*

*ding ding*

The Tower wins ! ! !

Serious, piano finished towers are (IMO) the best looking speakers there are.
My grandfather has some high-end towers (can't remember name though), black piano finish included, and every time i walk past it i just freeze for a moment and look at that beauty.

Don't know, I think the Jordan VTL's are much better looking. A lot more expensive as well though, so I might build them after these. Just want to get a bit of experience with a cheaper project.

Though piano black floorstanders are sexy as hell. Kees's Millon Reference's are a great example of that. Going to be quite a bit of work to get the piano finish, but I recon it'll be worth it (so long as they sound nice... that is priority numbero uno ofcourse).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #176 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by akgk1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Jordan JXR6..?

JXR_front.jpg

jxr6_freq.jpg

(under 100Hz she can you hitch hike:wink:) pff engels hahaa
And they are not complete very expensive ...

Pleasant groet,
Akgk1000.

Wou een setje Jordan VTL maken: http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/systems/jx92_system.html

Met de JX92s drivers. Alleen zou ik dan aan materiaal toch al rond de €500 uitkomen, ietswat overdreven voor mijn eerste eigen bouwsel. Die bewaar ik voor later.
smily_headphones1.gif

De JXR6... is 2" inch niet erg (!) klein?

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #177 of 272
NOOOOO!! Not 8th July.. :'( That day I'm going to Croatia.. I would have loved to hear the AKG K1000. I'm new to the whole audio-world, just bought a HD595 recently and I would like to hear what high-end sounds like, so I'll try to come to the next meet! Is one already scheduled?

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #178 of 272
Quote:

Wou een setje Jordan VTL maken: http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/systems/jx92_system.html

Met de JX92s drivers. Alleen zou ik dan aan materiaal toch al rond de €500 uitkomen, ietswat overdreven voor mijn eerste eigen bouwsel. Die bewaar ik voor later.
smily_headphones1.gif

De JXR6... is 2" inch niet erg (!) klein?

Geen iedee of hij te klein is, maar de allu voor de 92 lijkt me net even te zwaar ook.
Wil je een snelle, en dat ben je gewent van de k1000 is de JXR6 wel een betere keus!..
Kurfje van de 6 is mooi hé..

Pleasant greeting,
Akg.

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #179 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NOOOOO!! Not 8th July.. :'( That day I'm going to Croatia.. I would have loved to hear the AKG K1000. I'm new to the whole audio-world, just bought a HD595 recently and I would like to hear what high-end sounds like, so I'll try to come to the next meet! Is one already scheduled?

Can't you 9th to Croatia? You can come along drive 8th with me... :wink:

akgk1000

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #180 of 272
Looking forward to seeing some of your speakerproject at the meet, Rik!
I also might have another add to bring along...I will probably be buying the Larocco next monday or the monday after...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back