Netherlands meet, July 8th
May 31, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #16 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking I want to hear it! How are the highs? Any grain or edginess on the highs? That is for me the easiest way to hear if they are being driven faulty. My Mapletree, AVM's headphone out, and JVC receiver all gave the K1000 sharp highs (while bass was fairly full on the Mapletree). Put that baby though it's paces with some high hats and female vocals and see how she fares.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've just listened for a couple of minutes. No graininess (is that a word?) or edginess on the highs yet. Smooooooth... But a touch on the warm side. I'd wished I'd still have the HD650 to compare with. DAMMIT. Just shipped it 2 days ago...
Will report back later. Will move my SLAM back to my little study room, I was listening out of a iPod just a minute ago...
blink.gif

May 31, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #17 of 272
Okay. One correction. I definately don't need to turn it up to 12pm or 1pm on the SLAM and NAD CD player...
rolleyes.gif
Between 10 and 11 it's already pretty hard for my taste...

Edit: And I think what you mean with the edginess in the hi hat... Listening to Diana Krall 'Girl in the Other Room' now. Lots of hi hat. It's a little grainy. Maybe a turn on the Texture knob on the SLAM will help?

Edit2: Listening to Massive Attack now. I can definately live with this setup for a while. That is, while I save fot the Sig30!
tongue.gif

Edit3: Okay. Keeping the SLAM!

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #18 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay. One correction. I definately don't need to turn it up to 12pm or 1pm on the SLAM and NAD CD player...
rolleyes.gif
Between 10 and 11 it's already pretty hard for my taste...

Edit: And I think what you mean with the edginess in the hi hat... Listening to Diana Krall 'Girl in the Other Room' now. Lots of hi hat. It's a little grainy. Maybe a turn on the Texture knob on the SLAM will help?

Doesn't surprise me that the Nad has a bit higher line level.
Maybe that texture knob helps, I've heard it do some funky stuff in Terneuzen!

Quote:

Edit3: Okay. Keeping the SLAM!

No, you're not. Mark my words!
biggrin.gif

For what you get if you sell it, you can get a huge, hot, much less WAF-accepted amp that'll truly do the K1000 justice.
evil_smiley.gif

You know yourself... you just have to upgrade. It's in your blood! Now where are those WE 300b's....

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #19 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you're not. Mark my words!
biggrin.gif

For what you get if you sell it, you can get a huge, hot, much less WAF-accepted amp that'll truly do the K1000 justice.
evil_smiley.gif

You know yourself... you just have to upgrade. It's in your blood! Now where are those WE 300b's....

person.
biggrin.gif

Okay, I'll keep the SLAM for now.
Say, has anyone tried those cheap Chinese amps on eBay with 300B's? I wanted to get one, sometimes they sell for really cheap. Only shipping is a b*tch...

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #20 of 272
Chinese tube amps vary alot from model to model, and sometimes even within model ranges. Some are very good for the money, others have a high noise floor and overall lacking sound quality. You might want to check out this thread on GoT.
The problem is that all these chinese amps come from relatively small and cheap companies. This means that they don't always have the same parts in them (same circuit, just different makes and sometimes even specs in parts) as part prices fluctuate and they are always looking for the best pricing overhead. It's kind of a gamble, though if you do get a nice amp you'll have a great one for very little money.

Jun 4, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #24 of 272
Hey there digitalmind.
First, again many many thanks for the ride.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Second, could you PM your postal code so i can check the travel-time with public transport, if the journey ain't that far you can count me in.
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #25 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second, could you PM your postal code so i can check the travel-time with public transport, if the journey ain't that far you can count me in.
wink.gif

Sir Nobax, you can catch a ride with me if you want. I'm going anyway! PM me if you want to, let me know where you live! And PM me your real name as well...
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 272
cool.gif

I'm still looking for an adequate headphone to get before the meet. I don't want to feel left out.
biggrin.gif

What I'm most afraid of is rediscovering the K1000's then........ and wanting them again. I've actually stopped listening to them on purpose because of that now.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #27 of 272
Rik, before I forget...
I think I'll leave the NAD 521i and C320 at home. There'll probably be a REGA Jupiter there though...
rolleyes.gif
The C521i and C320 will still be in my possesion, but don't think there'll be much interest in them anyway. Unless anyone tells me otherwise! I'll just use the SLAM to drive the K1000 and RS1...
cool.gif

Anyone want to try the Squeezebox? I don't have a laptop, so I'm afraid someone will have to install SlimServer and bring their laptop and FLAC files if they want to try it...

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #28 of 272
I'm in. 4G iMod 60 GB, same Xin Feng SM IV LE, same ER•4, maybe the Reference if it gets here in time, Equation Audio RP-21 and maybe the PK-1 if it ever gets out of customs
frown.gif

Someone please bring a mini to RCA cable …

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #29 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in. 4G iMod 60 GB, same Xin Feng SM IV LE, same ER•4, maybe the Reference if it gets here in time, Equation Audio RP-21 and maybe the PK-1 if it ever gets out of customs
frown.gif

Someone please bring a mini to RCA cable …

Great! I've always wanted to check out the iMod!!

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #30 of 272
Quote:

Great! I've always wanted to check out the iMod!!

I'd love to plug it into your Sig 30!
evil_smiley.gif

Here it is …

iMod-Revelation-XinSMIVLE-ER4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back