Need upgrade advice quick [ebay only]
Oct 11, 2008 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TehNomad

Head-Fier
So Ebay is back with it's 30% cashback promotion. I'm looking to upgrade any part of my setup (in sig). I'm really looking for an improvement in classical music, as that's what I'm mostly dissatisfied listening to with my SR60s. I spend most of my time listening to music in front of my computer and a little less listening from my iPod in my room/outside my house.

To be more specific about what kind of classical, I listen to mostly cello/orchestra works (I'm a cellist after all) with some chamber and symphonic work and piano and violin works sprinkled in. I'm looking for a warm and intense sound, like the feeling you get when you're front-row watching a great cellist in a big concert hall.

I'm trying to spend less than $200 after cashback.

So, should I buy headphones, a full-size amp, a portable amp/LOD, speakers, or something else?

Just a quick rundown of prices I saw of things I might like:
AD700 - $79
AKG K701 - $181
Beyer DT880 '05/250ohm - $207
Senn HD600 - $210
Denon D2000 - $178
AKG K601 - $143
Little Dot I+ - $75
Senn HD595 - $133
Logitech Z-2300 - $85
Logitech X-240 - $28
Zero DAC/Amp - $113

Haven't found any portable amps yet.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 9
I was leaning towards the AKG K701 because it seems like the best deal relative to the price. I don't want to buy both an amp and headphones (limiting myself to one purchase for the time being), but I will definitely get one later.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 9
For "symphonic work and piano and violin" my ranking would be different. Well this is just IMO, but I do have and listen to all three of the following, mostly violin and piano, with a hybrid SS/tube amp, the Head-Direct EF-1, using an RCA sidegetter 12AU7. Here's the ranking:

Senn 600
Denon D2000
AKG K701

but they are all good. My high-end hearing is not as good as when I was younger, so that might be why my ranking differs. I am basing the ranks on detail, transient response, smoothness of freq response, and concert-hall realism (soundstage).

Just IMO, but I really do own and listen to these, so this is not BS.

I played the string bass in high school orchestra many years ago, so I am used to the antics of the cello players in front of me. Unruly bunch I must say. But typically great musicians.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 9
I've never heard of the D2000s being recommended for classical, I thought they were mostly for electronic/hip-hop (which I do have some).

EDIT: Oh, and it turns out my friend just got D2000s. Him and I were thinking that I should get something different, so we can compare and whatnot.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TehNomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard of the D2000s being recommended for classical, I thought they were mostly for electronic/hip-hop (which I do have some).

I never heard of the D2000 being recommended for electronic/hip-hop, but I think it would do well with that music too. Just to be clear, I have not used the D2000 (modded or not) and have not recommended it. Based on what I've read, a modded and re-cabled D2000 would be my choice for classical and electronica, which I listen to almost daily. And I would amp it. And I suggest this for your consideration. Some headphones are known for not doing quite as well without an amp, and it seems the D2000 is one of them.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 9
I have had the Denon D2000's, and did mod them. They are not a bad headphone at all, but yes they are better suited for electronic sounds. I now mostly use a AKG K701 (alo recabled, haven't heard stock) and will tell you that this is more of a reference can, where the Denon is a fun can. The 701's have body, detail, bass control and will actually go lower if properly amplified. They really bring acousitc instruments to life [compared to the D2000], no question IME. I thought I would end up keeping the Denon's no matter what as I do listen to quite a bit of electronic music, but in the end sold them and bought a DT-880 for that. Now thinking of selling the 880 as I tend to use the 701's even for electronic music. As far as the 880's and classical goes, they don't posses the refined sound that the 701's do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back