Need upgrade advice for my 007A setup
Sep 7, 2008 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

p997tt

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am currently in the process of saving up for the next upgrade. Right now I am planning to spend NZ$3000 max (around US$2000) and it will still take about 3 more weeks until I can save up that much. But I want to do my research earlier so when the time comes, I don't need to spend time thinking of what to buy.

Anyway, here is how my current setup goes:

E-MU 1212m -> CIAudio VDA2 with VDA1 power supply -> Stax SRM-727A -> SR-007A

I think there are only two things I can change: amp and external DAC. I am quite happy with the 1212m and I don't see how changing the soundcard will help my setup.

From what I read, Stax amps aren't good enough to drive the 007A and the KGSS is better. I checked Headamp's website, the KGSS is just under NZ$3000 but I don't really feel like waiting 8 weeks for the amp to arrive. Is there other amps I can consider around this price range?

As for external DAC, what are some recommended options? Can an external DAC within my budget even provide a good enough improvement over my CIAudio DAC? I have read quite a few comparisons around the internet for the CIAudio vs other more expensive DACs, including one here on Headfi (VDA2 vs ECD1), and the more expensive DACs don't really sound that impressive compared to the CIAudio unless I look at the ones that cost 5-6 times more. (please bear in mind that I don't know much about high end external DACs so maybe there are some exceptionally good ones for around US$2000 that I missed while I was researching around)

Is US$2000 a bit too little if I want to upgrade my current 007A setup? I have no interest in buying tube equipments, but I don't mind buying second hand if the seller is willing to ship to NZ.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Sep 7, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 9
Sadly I think the amps that are any improvement over the Stax ones are from smaller boutique companies, which of course will have a build time unless you buy used. Also since your not a tube person, the KGSS is the only other solid state stat amp I can think of outside of Stax's own offerings.

Sep 7, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 9
The KGSS isn't available AFAIK in it's current form any more while it is being redesigned. It's best to check with Justin though.

I have a similar setup in my computer rig now but with a 717 instead of a 727. I do prefer the older amp but the difference is small compared to the gains of modifying the phones (as has been talked about in the Stax thread here) and getting a better source/interconnects.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the replies.

I have slightly changed my mind and decided to also take tube amps into consideration.

I did a quick search and found the WooAudio GES. The price is only US$1450 without any upgrades, which is well within what I'm planning to spend. But how does this amp sound compared to the 727A? Please also note that right now for my 727A, I am using a pretty standard 240-100V step down transformer and the standard power cable that comes with the amp. I don't know if these parts will have a significant impact on the overall sound but if I choose to get a KGSS or other amps that have a 240V power supply, I won't need a transformer and I can also get a better power cable locally.

Or should I just get a better external DAC first?

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the difference is small compared to the gains of modifying the phones

Anybody out there do Sprtizer's mod on the 007A?? For money, as a business? [Our Icelandic Stax guru invented the mod but doesn't make a business out of doing this, as was kindly explained to me via PM].

So I'm reaching out to the modder's ... anyone?

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 9
you should consider the woo GES with full upgrade(around 2040$) and should start to order. If you tell Mr. Woo about your situation, you can just deposit to him a part of the payment. When the amp is almost done, you can pay the rest. Hope this will save your waiting time.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by p997tt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a quick search and found the WooAudio GES. The price is only US$1450 without any upgrades, which is well within what I'm planning to spend. But how does this amp sound compared to the 727A? Please also note that right now for my 727A, I am using a pretty standard 240-100V step down transformer and the standard power cable that comes with the amp. I don't know if these parts will have a significant impact on the overall sound but if I choose to get a KGSS or other amps that have a 240V power supply, I won't need a transformer and I can also get a better power cable locally.

How handy are you with DIY? If you are confident with a soldering iron you can change the 727A over to 240v relatively easily. A good power cable does have a nice impact but there is no need to go crazy here.

I wouldn't recommend the GES for the SR-007 or any of the other power hungry cans. That's based on the feedback I've got from owners and those that have auditioned it as well as the basic design of the amp. Woo is working on a new amp that will have more power on tap but the price is also a lot higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back