Need to buy IEMS. Upgrading from PL-30. Under $80.
Jun 13, 2010 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jozurr

Headphoneus Supremus
Im looking to upgrade from the PL-30s. I love the sound signature. So what IEMS will be a logical upgrade keeping the same sound signature?

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 10
RE0 from what I heard from others sounds like the signiture of PL-30. Modest bass, with a lot of details....

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 10
Ideally the discontinued Cyclone PR1 Pro. However, since you probably won't find a pair outside of the sale forum here, perhaps the Thinksound Rain will work. For me the PL30 is characterized by good overall balance with slightly forward mids. The Rain is a bit more aggressive in the treble and the soundstage isn't as airy as with the PL30 but other than that they share a similar sort of signature.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 10
Joker: I just want the airy presentation and the crystal clear sound which is sort of "relaxing". I don't like the aggressive sound of the KSC-75s. Im not sure if im describing the sound right.. but i want something which is "musical" with not more bass than the PL-30 or maybe just slightly more.. and which is not flat or boring/analytical. I also want the airy presentation and clarity. I use my iems to sleep at night too hence all what I look for. How do you think the rain would live up to that? Secondly what would be other choices? 'm not sure if forward mids is what im looking for.

Edit: Also you mentioned the thinksound rains are not comfortable for sleeping. So I wouldn't want to get those. I need more suggestions please.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 10
What you want appears to be the RE252 but for under $80.. The sleeping prerequisite really narrows the field down. There's only a handful of IEMs I can personally sleep in and few of them cost <$100. In terms of sound, I still think a used PR1 Pro is your best bet, if you can find one and if you think you'll be able to sleep in it (I can, but only with single-flange tips and a soft pillow). Otherwise I would maybe look at an mp4nation brainwavz M1, though it doesn't have the airy feel of the PR1.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Can't get a used PR1.. not in the US. Also what do you think about the RE0s for me? or the PL50? I'll look into the M1.Although do you think it would really be a leap up from the PL30s? I'm looking for a jump in sound. What do you think of the maximo Im-590? how would that be as an upgrade?

It doesn't have to be "specially" for sleeping.. just something comfortable in which i can sleep is what i mean. I had the EP-630s.. they were comfortable for sleeping.. however i didnt like the sound very much. Now im enjoying the PL-30s.. and looking for a similar upgrade.

Edit: I could give up the airy factor for improved musical sound keeping in mind the comfort factor.. not too overwhelming or bassy like the KSC-75s. What do you think.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Can't get a used PR1.. not in the US. Also what do you think about the RE0s for me? or the PL50? I'll look into the M1.Although do you think it would really be a leap up from the PL30s? I'm looking for a jump in sound. What do you think of the maximo Im-590? how would that be as an upgrade?

It doesn't have to be "specially" for sleeping.. just something comfortable in which i can sleep is what i mean. I had the EP-630s.. they were comfortable for sleeping.. however i didnt like the sound very much. Now im enjoying the PL-30s.. and looking for a similar upgrade.

Edit: I could give up the airy factor for improved musical sound keeping in mind the comfort factor.. not too overwhelming or bassy like the KSC-75s. What do you think.

The big downfall of the PL50 for me was the lack of air. If you can live with that then they are quite musical and relaxing. The form factor is great.

The iM-590 is quite aggressive, one of the more exciting IEMs in its class. The RE0 is fairly analytical... again not what you said you are looking for although who knows - you might enjoy them more than you think. And I do still think the M1 competes well with most <$80 IEMs despite its low price. Definitely a step up from the PL30 still and more airy than the PL50, though perhaps a bit less resolving and with poorer imaging.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 10
One more thing... when  I sleep i keep low volume on my PL30s I feel that the sound is coming from a distance. That's probably because of the airy feel they have. I want something which on low volumes sounds as pleasant.. with the sound signature i described. So i can feel the music on low volumes when i sleep. Which iem would give me that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back