Need sub $120 portable amp recommandation
Jul 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

neozengar

100+ Head-Fier
Currently, I have the rockboxed clip (v2) with re0.  I was wondering would spending around 100 on a portable amp be a good investment? Would I notice much different? I was looking at amp like the fiio e7, linearossa w1 etc. Would I be better off buying a new headphone for 120? Thanks!

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 5
As I understand it an amp works best with an LOD, which the Clip doesn't have the capacity for. An amp could give more power to the headphones, but just using the HPO the quality might end up being worse, particularly a problem with the E7. And as I understand it the RE0s are basically the peak of what they do (especially with amping), so if you like their signature then stick with them.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 5
Ibasso T3D. Although with shipping it will be around $150. But I'd imagine it should sound better or at least equal to the E7, given its higher price. Downside is you don't have the DAC. 

Personally, I would get better earphones. I had been using my SM3 and FX-700 unamped till now. The improvements from using an amp is most likely not as good as getting better earphones.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the input, I think those two headphone are bit too expansive for me.  I see that clip do not benefit much from amping, but I have a cowon d2 as well.  Would adding an $100 amp to the d2 benefit my re0 greatly? I heard from other forum that the d2 do not improve much from amping. Thanks in advance!

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 5
I have and think the T3, analog pot (which is a fantastic pot they use, they actually throw many away before finding the best to use on the amps)...is a bargain as it not only powers IEMs but does some easy to drive full size cans fantastically, like my PRO750s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back