Need some quick help with soldering drivers without a diagram
Jun 14, 2018 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Viber

500+ Head-Fier
Clipboard01.jpg

I actually did this fix in the past, but im not so sure: which wire goes where?
Obviously my cable got a ground wire + colored wire for each driver, why are there 4 connections on the driver itself? is the red marker on the magnet an indication for something?

Thanks for the help and sorry about the nooby questions!

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 11
ok so i already lost my mind lol.
Tested with 2 cables, did polarity tests here:
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Everything they say is noticeable with my PC speakers, but with these drivers "In Phase" and "Out of Phase" samples sound the same no matter if i connect the "+" on the most right "pad" or the most left one. Wish i knew what i'm doing wrong...

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi Viber, coloured dot is signal (+) side, non-coloured dot is ground side. Even if this particular headphone is 'the other way' it doesn't matter, so long as you do the same on both drivers, then they'll both be in phase. Solder the wires to the outer tabs only, the inner tabs are for the coil wire, you can see the inner tab is connected to it's respective outer tab in the circuit board copper, you can see a lighter colour in the circuit board between the inner and outer tabs indicating copper connection. The coil wire is soldered to the inner tabs, it is best not to solder to the same tabs since excess heat from the iron can dislodge the coil wires, and that will likely become unrepairable. That's why the wires go to separate tabs, to provide some thermal isolation for the coil wires.

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Hi Viber, coloured dot is signal (+) side, non-coloured dot is ground side. Even if this particular headphone is 'the other way' it doesn't matter, so long as you do the same on both drivers, then they'll both be in phase. Solder the wires to the outer tabs only, the inner tabs are for the coil wire, you can see the inner tab is connected to it's respective outer tab in the circuit board copper, you can see a lighter colour in the circuit board between the inner and outer tabs indicating copper connection. The coil wire is soldered to the inner tabs, it is best not to solder to the same tabs since excess heat from the iron can dislodge the coil wires, and that will likely become unrepairable. That's why the wires go to separate tabs, to provide some thermal isolation for the coil wires.

You sound like you know what you're talking about and this is line with stuff I've read in the past. Thank You!

Anyone has something important to add ? :nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back