Need some opinions on some portable cans
May 14, 2014 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Wyd4

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there.
For financial reasons I need to downsize my listening experience. Well in this case up size down cost.
Pending the sale of my um mentors (shameless plug) I am after some portables that sound good for around the $300usd.

Criteria:
Somewhat easy to drive. I have an e18 but I don't want to have to go get a HiFi m8. Defeats the purpose of down scaling.
Closed back
Comfort
Most importantly they need to sound good. I am coming from a $1300 iem so I don't want to cringe every tine u listen.
Bass needs to be ample but controlled. I am a self confessed bass head. However I like quality over quantity.
Lastly the mids can't be thin or recessed.

My short list currently consists of:
Mad dog 3.2. (Had these previously, loved them but borderline not portable)
NAD something something 50s
Vmoda xs
ThinkSound On1

Thoughts and additions always welcomed

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott

May 14, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 9
From the mentors down to a $300 portable? Wow, this is going to be hard.

There are the Sennheiser Amperior, Beyerdynamic DT1350. Though I consider the XSto be one of the best portables in production currently.

May 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 9
From the mentors down to a $300 portable? Wow, this is going to be hard.

There are the Sennheiser Amperior, Beyerdynamic DT1350. Though I consider the XSto be one of the best portables in production currently.

Hey there,

THanks for the suggestions.
Yeah it is going to hurt.  I am currently looking for ways around it as I do love the Mentors.  Basically an idea sound for me personally.

I have owned the Amperiors, while I was fond of the their more aggressive (than I would normally be after) sound I had to move them on due to comfort issues with my glasses.
I have heard good things about the 1350's, but also that they are less comfortable than the Amperiors.

I was considering the XS as I have heard it has minimal clamping pressure, a more neutral tone than prior V-Moda cans (owned LP2 - Hated them, owned M100 - LOVED them with the right music, though the bass did get a little boomy).  Well that and they are built like tanks.  Great for portable.

I have also read raving reviews about the NAD pair, which I think personally at the moment is at the top of my list, but having not heard either I am not sure.

Mad dogs are on there because I have owned them before, loved them, but with them comes amping, which I am trying to avoid in aid of $$ and simplicity.

After listening to the Mentors to work today (and while I write this post) it is going to be hard to let them go haha.

Scott

May 15, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 9
If the NAD HP50 is included, I would recommend that instead. While the XS is better in portability, the HP50 triumphs over in sound quality.

May 15, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 9
I am also in love with the nads. My only advice would be to make sure you give them a long listen. At the start they do seem warm however as you adjust to the sig, you really discover that they have all the detail there in spades...

May 15, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 9
That, and due to the reason that the OP currently is using the Mentors, which is a big leap down imo, and may need more time than expected to adjust.

May 15, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 9
That's going to be tough.

I'm in the opposite boat - I've finally decided that closed portables are the worst of all worlds. I've used 1350's for a number of years and have decided that I'd rather listen to decent iems or full size cans.

May 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Sony 7520...?
Yamaha mt220?
Nad sounded more left n right...less depth when I tried it, twice.
Maybe your superior dap will do better...mine is a regular android.

May 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #9 of 9
I agree that the NAD specializes width over depth in soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back