Need some opinions (BEATS HATERS GET OUT)
Dec 17, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #16 of 101
Buy the Beats, they´re pretty awesome. They offer really high-fidelity sound for the price, I think they could cost couple of hundreds more and still be worth it. =D

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #17 of 101
XB-700s. 
I sympathize with excluding beats haters.
Lots of members here hate bass. 
They don't listen to hip hop, so their advice is not important.

A good amp only does three things:
1. provides ample power for high volumes.
2. produces little noise.
3. keeps all output neutral.

I have an E5, for $22. 
Introduces line noise if trying to charge and listen simultaneously.
I heard good things about the E7, but don't know. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smvKcdgfGgg&feature=related

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #18 of 101
wow, its not that people here hate bass, its that the bass on the beats overpowers the rest of the music. 

I understand that with certain genres this is preferable to actually hearing what the singer was told to sing, but with others its a waste of your time and money.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #19 of 101

Quote:
Lots of members here hate bass. 
They don't listen to hip hop, so their advice is not important.

I hate it when I can´t hear the details in highs when bass is overwhelming them. (For example with portaPro, with certain songs.) I do love tight and accurate bass that´s in balance with everything else.

No, I don´t listen to hip hop, but I do hope that it´s something more than bass that´s all that matters.

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #20 of 101
popcorn.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 101
Oh boy. No, we don't hate bass. We hate bad bass.

Bass that is sloppy and imprecise sucks. It all sounds like the same note.

Doesn't that get boring after awhile?

It really sucks when bass keeps you from hearing the mids and highs. Sometimes the vocals are just drowning in mud.

The very worst is when headphones (or speakers, for that matter) make bass that isn't there on the recording. Do you want to hear something that was never intended to be on the recording? That destroys the artistic integrity of the recording.

For those of you who just want a pulsating beat you can feel and don't give a rip about anything else, here's a plan for you. Go get $29 subwoofer at Pep Boys. Or from the swapmeet, because it doesn't matter. Do not buy an expensive one because - horror of horrors - it might reproduce bass accurately. You want cheap; trust me. If you're inclined to spend a lot of money, just buy more of them. Next, get some cheap plywood and build a subwoofer cabinet. Just use a jigsaw and a drill. Don't worry about precision because you want the cabinet to make noise on its own. Anything well-designed might make bass accurate, and that's the wrong approach. Next, find an old PA amp or a cheap car subwoofer amp. Do not buy a nice amp. You need one that's kinda crappy and does not have good control over the subwoofer.

Don't bother with mids or tweeters. Since you don't care about those, it won't matter. Besides, they'll just get drowned out by the subwoofer.

Now hook it all up and play music. Thump, thump, thump. You'll be happy and should have all you care about in the music. Plus this will be a lot cheaper than buying decent headphones or speakers.

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #22 of 101
Now that could almost be considered mean. =D

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #23 of 101

Quote:

It really sucks when bass keeps you from hearing the mids and highs. Sometimes the vocals are just drowning in mud.

The very worst is when headphones (or speakers, for that matter) make bass that isn't there on the recording. Do you want to hear something that was never intended to be on the recording? That destroys the artistic integrity of the recording.

For those of you who just want a pulsating beat you can feel and don't give a rip about anything else, here's a plan for you. Go get $29 subwoofer at Pep Boys. Or from the swapmeet, because it doesn't matter. Do not buy an expensive one because - horror of horrors - it might reproduce bass accurately. You want cheap; trust me. If you're inclined to spend a lot of money, just buy more of them. Next, get some cheap plywood and build a subwoofer cabinet. Just use a jigsaw and a drill. Don't worry about precision because you want the cabinet to make noise on its own. Anything well-designed might make bass accurate, and that's the wrong approach. Next, find an old PA amp or a cheap car subwoofer amp. Do not buy a nice amp. You need one that's kinda crappy and does not have good control over the subwoofer.

Don't bother with mids or tweeters. Since you don't care about those, it won't matter. Besides, they'll just get drowned out by the subwoofer.

Now hook it all up and play music. Thump, thump, thump. You'll be happy and should have all you care about in the music. Plus this will be a lot cheaper than buying decent headphones or speakers.

LOL so much my belly is hurting.....

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #24 of 101

Awesome :)

Quote:
Now that could almost be considered mean. =D

Yep, but funny.

And now ...
Quote:

x2

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #25 of 101
Dec 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #26 of 101
I don't think beats isn't that bad(I got my Studio about 200 bucks)...After using beats for a year, it's nice headphone (at least better than Bose). I haven't have a chance to listen to another brand yet. I believe that choosing headphone is nothing different from buying cars, mainly depending on personal likeness. Some people don't buy anything that they haven't tried. Beats is easier to find a demo to test, just in an Apple store :), the other brand is harder especially if your city has no audiophile shop.

If the price is not an issue, Beats Studio is still a good one. :)

PS. Sorry for my English. I am not a native one. T T

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 101
The thing is, your only comparison is with Bose, which isn't really a good one. I'm not criticizing you, just saying that if you ever have the luck to try on something like a high-end AKG or ATH, you will curse the beats from that moment on.

Oh and I loved the part where the troll accused us on not understanding bass because we don't listen to hip-hop or rap ='D made my day

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #29 of 101
Yeah, this is precisely what I was talking about. 
Let me guess "good bass" is only what you consider to be good.  
And what would hip hop culture be without the "thump, thump" one note as you call it?
Or is there a meta argument that you're making about hip hop music listeners?
Did you want to say that the people who like that sort of music are somehow inferior to you,
an educated, civilized descendant of Europeans? 

Maybe you should send an email to Dr. Dre and tell him that he is listening to his music incorrectly?
Better yet, why don't you ask him to turn down the bass in his music, because obviously you know how to create his music better!
Here let me get you started:

Dear Dr. Dre,

I think your music would be much better if you turned down the bass and increased your treble. 

Sincerely, Euro Guy.

You can keep your treble heavy phones if it sounds good to you. 
But please dear moderator, notice OP's original request: 
BEATS HATERS GET OUT.
At least for this thread, it seems that you are the troll.
You and your snickering automatons weren't solicited for this post. 
So why did you come in looking for trouble, Euro guy?

Quote:

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #30 of 101
if you want overpowering bass but also want to save money, go for the Klipsch Image One

made for the bass lover in all of us

for those of us who like bass but want to hear more of the music, I'd recommend:

D2000s
DT770

and what the hell

HD25-1 II (tight bass, not overpowering)

that being said, I like the beats.

I know it's not popular to say so, but I think they're good sounding headphones though way overpriced.  If they were anywhere from 150 to 200 bucks, I'd probably have a different opinion of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back